You make the call..........

TDArtist

I saw a situation that I cannot find an answer to in the rule book. I think that I know the answer but I wanted to throw it out here and see what other people thought.

Wrestler A is leading 14-0. He reverses wrestler B to his back is is scoring back points. The young lady running the clock records the 2 pt. reversal and manually sounds the buzzer at 1:24 in the third. Both wrestlers release their holds and come to their feet. I do not recall hearing a referee's whistle blow. They are standing around looking at each other, unsure of what to call. The score is now 19-0. The referee calls the coaches together for a conference. After the conference, the referee orders wrestler B to lie on the mat in a position similar to the previous hold, orders wrestler A to reapply the half, and blows the whistle for wrestling to resume. Wrestler B ends up getting pinned.

I thought that it was the same call as an inadvertant whistle. The match is over, tech fall awarded to Wrestler A. Am I right?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a situation that I cannot find an answer to in the rule book. I think that I know the answer but I wanted to throw it out here and see what other people thought.

Wrestler A is leading 14-0. He reverses wrestler B to his back is is scoring back points. The young lady running the clock records the 2 pt. reversal and manually sounds the buzzer at 1:24 in the third. Both wrestlers release their holds and come to their feet. I do not recall hearing a referee's whistle blow. They are standing around looking at each other, unsure of what to call. The score is now 19-0. The referee calls the coaches together for a conference. After the conference, the referee orders wrestler B to lie on the mat in a position similar to the previous hold, orders wrestler A to reapply the half, and blows the whistle for wrestling to resume. Wrestler B ends up getting pinned.

I thought that it was the same call as an inadvertant whistle. The match is over, tech fall awarded to Wrestler A. Am I right?

Nope... MMA rules apply here /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yeah the match should have ended when the clock runner sounded the buzzer. It shouldn't have cause a tech or pinfall could be the difference in the dual scores, but a wrestler shouldnt be placed back in a disadvantageous position. The same as if you have a guy on his back and there is blood. They stop it right there to clean every body up and restart the match from the referees position. You dont say ok you were on your back, his arm was here, move over a little bit....

Yeah the match should have ended when the clock runner sounded the buzzer. It shouldn't have cause a tech or pinfall could be the difference in the dual scores, but a wrestler shouldnt be placed back in a disadvantageous position. The same as if you have a guy on his back and there is blood. They stop it right there to clean every body up and restart the match from the referees position. You dont say ok you were on your back, his arm was here, move over a little bit....

When the wrestler scored the reversal that made the score 16-0 and the match should end with the award of the 2 (I think).

If the wrestler reverses the other guy and turns him to his back in the process, then the match continues. Even though it is 16-0, he has put him in a pin fall predicament and could possibly get the pin, which is 6 team points instead of 5. If the kid gets out of the pin and back to his belly, then the match is stopped. But they still allow the winning wrestler a chance to score a pin. Make sense? It's the same as sudden death overtime. If wrestler A takes down B to his back, then yeah he wins. But they still continue the match if he has him in a possible pin so that he may score 6 team points instead of 3. Should be the same for a tournament because pins are worth more.

Don't mean to be so thourough in my explanation. It sounds like I'm trying to explain wrestling to people who've never seen the sport. lol! I'm just trying to be clear. And no, I'm not a red. So this is all my opinion. But I've talked to refs before about this so it's not like I'm just pullin this out of my back side.

OH MY GOD!!! I think this ref should be fired and sent back for training......AND the coachs need coaching 101......please tell me this was a rookie ref like Jim Simpson that did this!!!!

I would absolutely hope that you are kidding about this one. You mean to tell me that not one referee but 2 referees agreed to put a kid back on the mat on his back and restart the match from there? It was a mistake by the timer to sound the buzzer....match over by tech fall.

I'm so stunned right now I'm afraid to say anything else.

I wasn't there so don't know if this is a joke or not, but I will go ahead and reply.

Let's say the takedown to the back made it 16-0 or 14-0 with the minimum 2 count for a near-fall was achieved. When the table worker sounded the horn and the ref blew the whistle, the points should be awarded that were earned. At that time if there is a 15 point differential, then the match is over by technical fall. Does the kid that was working for the pin lose out? Of course he does. Could a mistake like this cost a team a dual meet victory? Of course it can (we won a dual this year with a tie on criteria so imagine losing a point to an accidental tech by mistake from the timer would have changed the result). Do people have a reason to complain? Most certainly. Short of replacing or re-educating the table worker, there is really nothing than can be done when a situation like this occurs. Will there be someone just a bit shy of completely honest try to figure out how to make a situation like this work in their favor? Lord I hope not. Let us just chalk this one up to an honest mistake and hope it never happens to an athlete again.

Coaches, please train your table workers to not sound a horn or signal a referee when a tech-fall is achieved unless the wrestlers are on their stomachs, and I mean flat on their stomachs, or on their feet. if you don't trust the table workers to do this, then inform them to not say anything to the ref. The coaches will know and inform the ref anyway.

This is not a joke TDartist came into work this morning and was very peturbed by this situation. A young ref did this and I will be more upset if I find out that a veteran coach who knows better talked or pressured him into this predictament, because this coach knows better and he has messed with the integrity of the rules which are clear. If the young official did it, to the very bottom of the rungs he goes.

I think it should have ended this way:

The ref didn't blow his whistle, the wrestler released his hold and stopped on the horn, not the refs whistle like every wrestler is told to do. Bottom wrestler gets off his back, no pin, match over, tech fall. Table workers fault for blowing the horn and top wrestlers fault for stopping on the horn and not the refs whistle.

Next match!

Just my opinion!