GC Lady Pioneers V. OC Lady Rebels

GCPioneer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OC may have outplayed Gibson County last night. Some of the calls were questionable to say the least. When you have one ref who has a vested interest in the outcome of any 13AA girls game, it kind of makes you wonder why he gets to referee those games. And if you try and tell me the calls he made did not have an impact on the game, then your crazy. He called two on Pate that were clueless. One of which was her fifth?? Joyner has no reason to ref any 13 AA girls game when he has a daughter who plays for Milan. CAN YOU SAY CONFLICT OF INTEREST?? I'm going to be contacting the TSSAA and find out if we can prevent this from happening any more. I don't mind him oficiating other games in this area, but he has no place in officiating games of this magnatude in 13AA girls. OC may have won the game anyway, becuase they played well enough to win. But he made some very questionable calls that had an impact on the end result. Congratulations OC. Looks like we have ourselves a tie in 13AA, which should make for some excellent basketball down the stretch.

This is not sour grapes, becuase no one close to the Gibson County program expected us to be where we are this season. I expected it next season. But hey it is what it is and we have played some tremendous basketball to be so young. Good luck to both teams...

OC may have outplayed Gibson County last night. Some of the calls were questionable to say the least. When you have one ref who has a vested interest in the outcome of any 13AA girls game, it kind of makes you wonder why he gets to referee those games. And if you try and tell me the calls he made did not have an impact on the game, then your crazy. He called two on Pate that were clueless. One of which was her fifth?? Joyner has no reason to ref any 13 AA girls game when he has a daughter who plays for Milan. CAN YOU SAY CONFLICT OF INTEREST?? I'm going to be contacting the TSSAA and find out if we can prevent this from happening any more. I don't mind him oficiating other games in this area, but he has no place in officiating games of this magnatude in 13AA girls. OC may have won the game anyway, becuase they played well enough to win. But he made some very questionable calls that had an impact on the end result. Congratulations OC. Looks like we have ourselves a tie in 13AA, which should make for some excellent basketball down the stretch.

This is not sour grapes, becuase no one close to the Gibson County program expected us to be where we are this season. I expected it next season. But hey it is what it is and we have played some tremendous basketball to be so young. Good luck to both teams...

Thank you for speaking the truth about the ref! Even though one of the other ref's was just as bad. I knew as soon as I came into the gym & saw the ref's I knew we were in trouble. It's really sad when you have such blatant calls or calls that should happen & don't and you know it affects the game playing. I really wonder how people like that sleep at night. If you need any support with contacting TSSAA you can count me in!

I'm not trying to complain, but if you take away the technical which was a blown call thats 2 points + whatever they scored after the tech. Take away the HORRIBLE call on the over the back which was an over the back but the foul was called on the rebound and the girl put the ball back up AFTER the whistle was blown and she hit it and got the free throw. We lost by 8 which was due to great free throw shooting by OC at the end. Could've used a better officiating crew for that big of a game but it definately wasn't the worst I've seen. I look at it as if the refs are part of the game.

That wasn't the first time this year that Joiner has given us these "gracious" calls.

As far as refs go, if you haven't ever done the job, you don't have a clue how difficult the job is. And as the old saying goes , if you can't do better, then shutup. We are all guilty at one time or another of that. As far as Joyner goes, he is one of the better ones around. Comparing what Milan had to deal with, as well as GC, when those 2 played, last night was great.

With the standings the way they are, I don't see the point about what difference it makes to Milan or Joyner who won that game. GC & OC are battling for 1st and 2nd, and there is no one else in the race for those 2 spots. If you look at it that way, it would have been better for Milan if GC had won. That would have put OC with 2 losses and Milan with 3 and a chance at getting second, instead of, at best 3rd place. Milan is now 2 games behind both.

The way Milan has played as of late, except for last nite, they are fighting for 3rd-6th. I don't think Joyner has a crystal ball that says DC will beat MW and Milan will beat MW and CC will be OC, etc, etc, Teams are too even in 13AA to plan anything. Look at last year MW comes to Milan and wins the biggest game of the year. 2 days later they play Dc, who they should beat 10 out of 10 and they get beat and Milan comes in the back door to win 13AA. 2 weeks before that no one could touch OC. If you think Joyner knows all that ahead of time, he needs to be in Vegas. Joyner goes where he is told, keeps his mouth shut and does the best he can. Could some calls go either way in every game, sure, and it will never change. I think all refs get 90 to 95 % of all calls correct. But it is only the close call that can go either way, people remember. Fouls are mistakes just like turnovers. Evidently Pate made 4 mistakes and Joyner may have made one. I think what surprised everyone , even myself, I thought she only had 3 instead of 4. Maybe we need Jerry Carpenter, Glenn Hayes & Ronnie Milsap to ref and Ronnie could lead us in "3 blind mice".

do like dc video the games if you have 24 fps camcorder this is one of the best it catches it all . Get 4 camcorders at 4 different angles.

Thank you for speaking the truth about the ref! Even though one of the other ref's was just as bad. I knew as soon as I came into the gym & saw the ref's I knew we were in trouble. It's really sad when you have such blatant calls or calls that should happen & don't and you know it affects the game playing. I really wonder how people like that sleep at night. If you need any support with contacting TSSAA you can count me in!

Having been a ref before, it is a HARD job, and if you have not done it you just do not know. As for the GC/OC game, i thought the game was pretty well called. In most any game, fans will be quick to blame the refs, while if you look at the stats of a game, such as missed free throws, turnovers, they too can have something to do with a win or a loss, as well as who you are playing. GC/OC was a good game to watch. GC is a solid club, and the district tournaments will be very interesting. Big win for OC, with Roney not in the line-up. Also the 1000th win in school history for Girls basketball.

GO LADY REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are two fairly even matched teams who've played twice and each have a win.

They'll more than likely see each other again in the post-season on a neutral floor /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

GC's Butler is an outstanding talent and really makes that team go.

Loads of talent on both sides of the floor the other night.

Lots of Sophomores who'll be making some noise for two more years as well /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

My congrats as well to Obion Central for their 1,000th win in the 47 year history of girls basketball..

Quite an accomplishment ladies /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I'm not trying to complain, but if you take away the technical which was a blown call thats 2 points + whatever they scored after the tech. Take away the HORRIBLE call on the over the back which was an over the back but the foul was called on the rebound and the girl put the ball back up AFTER the whistle was blown and she hit it and got the free throw. We lost by 8 which was due to great free throw shooting by OC at the end. Could've used a better officiating crew for that big of a game but it definately wasn't the worst I've seen. I look at it as if the refs are part of the game.

That wasn't the first time this year that Joiner has given us these "gracious" calls.

Joyner is one of the best Refs in Tennessee. Everyone makes mistakes and maybe he missed one the other night (was not there). Knowing him personally, I can assure you that he did not care about the outcome, only doing a good job. He would never be partial, even if he called a Milan game (which of course he will not do).

With the standings the way they are, I don't see the point about what difference it makes to Milan or Joyner who won that game. GC & OC are battling for 1st and 2nd, and there is no one else in the race for those 2 spots. If you look at it that way, it would have been better for Milan if GC had won. That would have put OC with 2 losses and Milan with 3 and a chance at getting second, instead of, at best 3rd place. Milan is now 2 games behind both.

Milan has a chance to finish third (and should) which will more than likely put them playinghe 2nd seed in the semis of the district. Loser of this game is more than likely going to be the 2nd seed. So yes it makes a difference who won it. Not saying Joyner was thinking that, but it did matter to Milan who won.

First let me stat that I am a District 13AA girls basketball fan. I mainly follow and cheer for Gibson County. I saw the game between GC and OC on Tuesday night. I really enjoyed it and was disappointed that GC lost. Having said that, I will never cease to be amazed at the fans who try and blame the officiating for their team losing a game. The officials are part of the game. I have never seen an official miss a layup, travel, double dribble, foul, brick a free throw, commit a turnover or score a basket. Here is something to think about. Have you ever noticed how much worse the officiating is/was when the end result is a loss by your team? If a particular fan's team wins, they very rarely will say "we would never have won that game without the help of the refs." As to the OC/GC game, I will dare say there is not one single Obion fan who thinks the officials helped them win that game. It is just kinda strange how that works. How is it that two opposing sets of fans can "see" the same game so differently. It is simply the fact that all fans are biased for their team. As far as the people who are complaining about Donny Joyner, you are dead wrong. Joyner is one of the top 1 or 2 referees in the area. Did Joyner miss ANY calls in that game? I'm sure he did. Did the other referees miss ANY calls in that game? Guaranteed. But do you believe that the only calls they missed were the ones against Gibson Co? Really? Do you think there were any calls that the OC fans think the officials missed? Please know this, if you had been officiating this game you would have missed many, many more. Officials are going to miss calls, some games more than others. I would put the number of calls that Joyner misses per game up against any ref in this state. As SLS stated if you have never done it you cannot imagine how difficult it is to referee a basketball game. The bottom line on this game was that Obion dominated the fourth quarter 17-7 and won the game. And they did it without their leader Jana Roney. How many of you that have complained about the officiating in this game, felt that the main reason that GC won the first game with OC was because J. Roney missed the fourth quarter? Not many I bet. But you can bet that the OC fans felt like the only reason they lost was because Roney went out. Funny how this biased thing works. The next time you leave a gym when your team loses, instead of talking about how they got jobbed by the refs, instead think about all the missed shots, turnovers and poor defense by your team, because those mistakes will always, always far and away exceed the number of blown calls by the referees. I look forward to Round 3 between these two teams and I for one hope Donny Joyner is one of the officials.