Warren Co. v. Oakland

MidTennFootball

Tuesday night Warren Co. travels to Oakland in a district 7-aaa matchup. But tuesday night is special in another sense as well. Ive been told that the gym well officially be rededicated in Coach King's name this tuesday, a honor that is well overdue. No doubt Coach King will give his humble schtick and say he couldnt do it without his players and coaches, but this man is one of the best coaches Oakland has had in any sport period, and may very well be the best when you consider the body of work.

Tuesday night's game is important, but recongnizing a coach who has given his life to Oakland for the last 25 years and has demonstrated nothing but class no matter the situation is also important. Coach King currently has 515 wins at Oakland, and here's hoping he is around for many more, he is one of the best this state has to offer.

Tuesday night Warren Co. travels to Oakland in a district 7-aaa matchup. But tuesday night is special in another sense as well. Ive been told that the gym well officially be rededicated in Coach King's name this tuesday, a honor that is well overdue. No doubt Coach King will give his humble schtick and say he couldnt do it without his players and coaches, but this man is one of the best coaches Oakland has had in any sport period, and may very well be the best when you consider the body of work.

Tuesday night's game is important, but recongnizing a coach who has given his life to Oakland for the last 25 years and has demonstrated nothing but class no matter the situation is also important. Coach King currently has 515 wins at Oakland, and here's hoping he is around for many more, he is one of the best this state has to offer.

Certainly a well deserved honor!!

top 5 wins as a Oakland fan that Oakland has had under Randy King, in my opinion at least. Keep in mind im pretty young, so most of these are going to be in the last 15 years or so. Keep in mind that these game are in no particular order, just ones that stick out in my mind.

#1. Winning the district tournament over Lebanon in 2002: Cant find the score but this game is significant for the most part because Oakland got swept by Lebanon that year and that Oakland went on a 38-2 to start the 2nd half or something like that, Probably one of the best halfs Oakland had played all year that season.

#2. Beating Highly ranked Lebanon in 2001 at Lebanon on their homecoming night: Never want to be a homecoming opponent and I felt that Drew Roy and the guys took this game personally, winning on a last second shot by point caleb barrett, who hadnt taken a shot all game. The feeling as we celebrated at midcourt was pretty special.

#3. Beating White Co. in the region semifinals in 1997: Had lost to White Co 3 times earlier in the year and didnt look like much would change, but a great performance by Oakland and remarkably smart play by John Taylor in just rolling the ball down the floor to let the final seconds tick by. One of the more exciting wins as a Oakland fan and alum that I have experienced.

#4. Beating Science Hill in the first round if the state tourney in 1996: It was 1 v. 2 in the first round of the state tournament, 2 great programs and 2 great coaches going against each other. Pretty memorable if only for the facts that it was the only game i got to leave school early for and that Michael Couey probably had the game of his life against Science Hill, not telling how many points he scored in that game.

#5. Sectional win over Red Bank, 2007: This game has to be on the list for so many reasons. 1, it got Oakland back to the state tourney for the first time in 11 years. It also got Coach King win # 500 on a night that was just so memorable all the way around, including a great game played by Oakland.

Got a few more that I would like to mention, but dont want to bore you guys about all these games from the past, I just wanted to reflect on what a great run Oakland has had as a program, especially with Randy King at the helm, or throne I should say /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Bump. For Oakland and non-Oakland fans, whats your favorite memory of Coach King, could be a game or moment or just whatever. Ill give mine later, but mine is a big ole list so I want to see what everybody else has to say first.

I guess for me its his demeanor on the bench, for the most part he's pretty subdued . But, I can remember a game a few years back in Warren County, when we were still actually in the game, and this ref completley blows a call, and coach King calls a timeout , and during this time-out he doesn't address his team, but calls that ref over and completely undresses him until play resumes. I haven't seen many coaches get away with the things coach king said to that ref, but I believe its due to the respect he carries with the refs and his knowledge of the game. Congrats coach King, and take it easy on my Pioneers tonight, remember they got school tommorrow and they don't need any nightmares about tonight's game !!!!

Got a few more that I would like to mention, but dont want to bore you guys about all these games from the past, I just wanted to reflect on what a great run Oakland has had as a program, especially with Randy King at the helm, or throne I should say /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

i love to read more if you wanted to share. i remember in 2003 or 04 riverdale had been beating oakland the majority of the game and jatoree haynes hit a buzzer beater from half court to win the game. ironically, blackman had beaten riverdale on a buzzer beater earlier in the same week.

i also was there at your #5 last year, that was great and one of the most dominant performances i've seen at the high school level (of games among 2 good teams)

where would last years district championship rank on the biggest upsets of oakland? that was a great, classic game. riverdale was in a similar position as oakland was in your #3 moment, avenging multiple losses and playing the spoiler (even tho it wasnt for elimination)

Congradulations to Coach King /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

As a former assistant high school coach in district 7AAA, I found a lot of head coaches that didn't seem to have an interest in talking with me. I always felt comfortable in having a converstation with Randy King. He is one of the most genuine people in the coaching ranks. Although it seems we always took our lumps from him, I have never had a negative thought toward the man.

I wish him continued success. Althought not a Patriot fan, I always root for Coach King.

I guess for me its his demeanor on the bench, for the most part he's pretty subdued . But, I can remember a game a few years back in Warren County, when we were still actually in the game, and this ref completley blows a call, and coach King calls a timeout , and during this time-out he doesn't address his team, but calls that ref over and completely undresses him until play resumes. I haven't seen many coaches get away with the things coach king said to that ref, but I believe its due to the respect he carries with the refs and his knowledge of the game. Congrats coach King, and take it easy on my Pioneers tonight, remember they got school tommorrow and they don't need any nightmares about tonight's game !!!!

To be honest, Randy has gotten his fair share of technicals over the years lol, he just picks and chooses his battles these days. One of the best ive seen at working a ref and almost always will give 3-4 straight calls to go Oakland's way if they were messed over on a call before hand. I think Randy has mellowed it a bit over the years, and is probably laughing at me right now as he is reading this, but oh well /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> . But i always enjoy hearing stories like that, I know ive seen it happen a few times myself.

i love to read more if you wanted to share. i remember in 2003 or 04 riverdale had been beating oakland the majority of the game and jatoree haynes hit a buzzer beater from half court to win the game. ironically, blackman had beaten riverdale on a buzzer beater earlier in the same week.

i also was there at your #5 last year, that was great and one of the most dominant performances i've seen at the high school level (of games among 2 good teams)

where would last years district championship rank on the biggest upsets of oakland? that was a great, classic game. riverdale was in a similar position as oakland was in your #3 moment, avenging multiple losses and playing the spoiler (even tho it wasnt for elimination)

Congradulations to Coach King /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Dont have time today to list some of them, but give me a day or 2, and I should come up with some more, didnt really think alot of folks would want to hear about these past games but i will oblige and try to come up with some more tommorrow. Hasnt been many games Oakland has lot where they were the clear cut favorite, so yeah last years district tourney is probably pretty high up there in terms of upset Oakland has been on the wrong end on. I dont know if I would consider that a great game, but I guess it is just a matter of opinion. I think in the #3 moment, its worth mentioning that White Co had a very very good team that year. If it wasnt for that 97 Oakland team, White Co would have had a very real chance at winning 3 state championships in a row.