TSSAA meeting-Classification

Indian

How can you say the 1.8 multiplier isn't much different than 1.5? For us it is the difference between 1a and 2a...or, to put it another way, the difference between being a medium sized 1a school to being 1/2 the size of the next smallest school we play. From your point of view that may not seem very large, but from where I sit...well...look at you guys for instance. Good school, good program, top of 2a, almost 3 times our student population and we have met up every year since the multiplier. If we 1.8 you guys you get to play Maryville every year. I bet if that happened you would call for a 1.5 or merit system...

And why don't you 'care' about the urban rural argument? Don't you see that by casually ordering up a multiplier because they do things differently than you you have done EXACTLY what I warned everyone about...punished schools simply because they are good and not the same as you?

It is a witch hunt...it boils down to this. If you are different than ME in any way and are better than me or any of my friends (some of whom are pretty bad) then I am going to punish you rather than reevaluate ME. Not only that, but I am gonna justify this by pretending some advantage you have that I don't is THE big advantage (but I'm gonna ignore any advantages I have that you don't, because, of course, those AREN'T relevant) so that any school similar to yours, even if they stink, is gonna get punished too.

Finally, you don't seem to grasp the fact that EVERY metro system is open zoned by Federal Law, regardless of what they say. That means that ANY county with enough population to have a city/county system or a metro system or more than 1 school is open zoned (at least within that county). That means that 80+% of the public school population in Tennessee is open zoned. Maryville, Alcoa, and the magnets aren't the minority, the minority are the rural counties that only have 1 school. Why should 8 out of 10 student athletes in the State be punished because 2 out of 10 happen to live way out in the country?

In reality the only closed zone schools in metro areas are the small privates. They can't offer financial aid like the DII schools, but they still have to charge tuition.

Your comment about a county with more than 1 school is open zoned is not true.

At least not in Maury County.

If you're zoned for Mt. Pleasant, you go to MP, if you're zoned for Spring Hill to go to SH, if you're zoned for Columbia you go to C.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if implying is the right word or not - but it does seem odd that they always fall right below the cutoff - almost literally. It can definitely make you wonder just a little bit. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Enrollment effects public school funding. I have a hard time believing that the desire to play in a lower classification would supersede the need to maximize funding.

JMHO

If you're zoned for Mt. Pleasant, you go to MP, if you're zoned for Spring Hill to go to SH, if you're zoned for Columbia you go to C.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well, actually I'm pretty sure I'm right...but I admit I could be wrong.

In Maury as well as any other county if student A is zoned for school A but wishes to take a class only offered at school B then NCLB supercedes ALL zoning rules and requires that that child not only be allowed to attend school B but also be provided transport there if needed.

So unless all 3 schools in Maury offer exactly the same classes, any Maury student can go to any school by simply saying they wish to take a class that that school offers that isn't offered at their current school. And that is just another way of saying that anyone can go anywhere if they want to.

Further, almost all counties will allow students to attend a county school other than the one closest to their house if the school they want to attend is not overcrowded, even if they SAY they have a zoned policy. That way they avoid the "My parents moved to a bigger house down the road my junior year and you are making me switch to the school I hate" headache and you mitigate some of the uneven population problems that occur if part of the county is near a major interstate/highway while the rest isn't. Since I-65 runs right through (by?) Maury County, I'm guessing that their policy is the same. But regardless of whether this is true for Maury, NCLB is Federal legislation and non-negotiable if the school system wants Federal funding.

Well, actually I'm pretty sure I'm right...but I admit I could be wrong.

In Maury as well as any other county if student A is zoned for school A but wishes to take a class only offered at school B then NCLB supercedes ALL zoning rules and requires that that child not only be allowed to attend school B but also be provided transport there if needed.

So unless all 3 schools in Maury offer exactly the same classes, any Maury student can go to any school by simply saying they wish to take a class that that school offers that isn't offered at their current school. And that is just another way of saying that anyone can go anywhere if they want to.

Further, almost all counties will allow students to attend a county school other than the one closest to their house if the school they want to attend is not overcrowded, even if they SAY they have a zoned policy. That way they avoid the "My parents moved to a bigger house down the road my junior year and you are making me switch to the school I hate" headache and you mitigate some of the uneven population problems that occur if part of the county is near a major interstate/highway while the rest isn't. Since I-65 runs right through (by?) Maury County, I'm guessing that their policy is the same. But regardless of whether this is true for Maury, NCLB is Federal legislation and non-negotiable if the school system wants Federal funding.

As of 2 years ago Maury eliminated ALL out of zone transfer request. Even when they had a limited number of students that opted to go "out of zone"; I know of no case where transportation was provided.

Not sure what NCLB is?

I didn't know that County schools got Federal funding? I thought the Feds sent it to the States and the States then distributed. I've never heard "Federal Funding" as a discussion in Maury /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I know that is not true for a fact. My nephew is officially zoned (whatever that means) to attend Columbia and attends Spring Hill. (He does actually live closer to SH). He does participate in athletics but not football. He is not the only zone transfer student to participate in sports either.

In the neighborhood that I live in within the Mount Juliet city limits and on the far west end of the county towards Hermitage, there is a young man that attends Lebanon and participates in sports including football. They proudly display the "I'm a Blue Devil" sign in their yard. To reach Lebanon he has to drive past Mt. Juliet High and Wilson Central - and then some. This is not an indictment of this young man. He is a very good kid and they followed all the rules and regulations just as I suspect private schools do.

As of 2 years ago Maury eliminated ALL out of zone transfer request. Even when they had a limited number of students that opted to go "out of zone"; I know of no case where transportation was provided.

Not sure what NCLB is?

I didn't know that County schools got Federal funding? I thought the Feds sent it to the States and the States then distributed. I've never heard "Federal Funding" as a discussion in Maury /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

You obviously do not have inside knowledge of the Maury Co system or know the inner workings of any public school system if you have not heard of NCLB - No Child Left Behind. ALL schools abide by and even teach to the NCLB regulations. Two words: Federally Mandated.

You obviously do not have inside knowledge of the Maury Co system or know the inner workings of any public school system if you have not heard of NCLB - No Child Left Behind. ALL schools abide by and even teach to the NCLB regulations. Two words: Federally Mandated.

Federally mandated and Federally funded are not the same thing. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I know that is not true for a fact. My nephew is officially zoned (whatever that means) to attend Columbia and attends Spring Hill. (He does actually live closer to SH). He does participate in athletics but not football. He is not the only zone transfer student to participate in sports either.

In the neighborhood that I live in within the Mount Juliet city limits and on the far west end of the county towards Hermitage, there is a young man that attends Lebanon and participates in sports including football. They proudly display the "I'm a Blue Devil" sign in their yard. To reach Lebanon he has to drive past Mt. Juliet High and Wilson Central - and then some. This is not an indictment of this young man. He is a very good kid and they followed all the rules and regulations just as I suspect private schools do.

When did your nephew start at SH? As I stated earlier this is a recent new policy in Maury.

Federally mandated and Federally funded are not the same thing. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

OK - I'll spell it out for you. All public schools are Federally Mandated to follow NCLB otherwise they stand to lose Federal Funds and also loss of institutional control of the subpar school. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

So he went to Middle School at Whitthorne because EA Cox is the feeder school for SH.

Why did he choose SH over Columbia Central?

Officially - he chose SH to take a class that is not offered at CC.

Unofficially - he chose SH to attend a slightly newer school that more of his friends attend.