When a starter is benched

WoodenFan

To summarize since I write too much /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

1) Arguments attacking the person are good for politics but invalid normally.

2) Your daughter is an excellent post player that will be vital to our teams success.

3) I bet you will find good coaches on both sides of the not starting argument.

4) At best this thread doesn't help your daughter or her team. At worst it hurts them.

5) Criticizing a coach is fine if done constructively.

/flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To summarize since I write too much /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

1) Arguments attacking the person are good for politics but invalid normally.

2) Your daughter is an excellent post player that will be vital to our teams success.

3) I bet you will find good coaches on both sides of the not starting argument.

4) At best this thread doesn't help your daughter or her team. At worst it hurts them.

5) Criticizing a coach is fine if done constructively.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I am sure you will tell me to become a parent to as I will state my opinion, I have followed VB sports for a LONG time and I did have kids go through this system. I guess my comment as stated earlier is that if I did have a child that was committed to a sport then a BEAUTY pagent wouldn't be an option. But that is beside the point and I agree that is a choice you and your family made, so be it. But the part that is getting to me about all this is WHY on earth are you so hung up on your daughter starting every game? She gets as much if not more playing time than all the girls. This is just beyond me that this is so critical for you to make a fool out of yourself on here about her not starting a game. She missed three minutes BIG freaking deal. GET over it. It is not going to hamper her chances at a scholarship or anything close to that nature. You are the reason if anything she won't be recruited because you are ruining her by doing this on a public forum. I am sure she holds the weight of the world on her shoulders with you putting all her business out here like this. I am appauld that this forum was even started and I can only guess it was done by someone that is kin to you. This is not the intent of this forum. Not to bash or put peoples personal business out there. My question not to attack people on their parenting skills or choices you or I would make, I respect all that, but the bottom line is: YOU CANNOT change what choice has been made, so my question is to you why did her missing three minutes of a game matter? Did she not finish the game and make an impact? Was she not successful? You are hurting your child (as I am sure she reads this as well) by making a mochary out of this whole situation. A team that has seen success with and without your daughter in the past few weeks and now this drama...... you need to get over this and let it go. Let your daughter be a kid and enjoy friends that she may find hard to make becuase you air all her business. I am sure the rest of your family is very proud of the statements you are making. GET over it and let the kids play ball and let the coach do HIS JOB!!

Here's an idea YYYYYY, use the PM feature or a telephone and all of this wouldn't be broadcast across the state via the internet. Probably a lot less embarrassment for your daughter across the board. Just a thought. I'd almost pay to go to wherever Van Buren County is and people watch in the stands tonight. It'd probably be worth the price of admission.

Nice talking to ya. Ya'll enjoy the rest of your season.

Some of these post are hard to believe. This is not a tough question, if you care about the team and the school first.

1. All five starting positions and all twelve uniforms belong to the same person. THE HEAD COACH.

2. High school sports teams are not "pay to play" rec teams. As such the coach must make all

decisions based on what is best for the team as a whole.

3. If some of the parents on this site had thier way, the coach would have to meet with them and thier

day-timers in order to plan a schedule each year.

4. The MVP of any great high school sports program is an AD with a spine.

How much longer can high school sports programs survive the growing number of selfish self centered parents in our pampered culture? Team sports are all about self sacrifice for the benefit of a team and lthe long term goals of that TEAM. For some on this thread, if you will just shut up and allow the coach to do his or her job, your child will recieve a much needed life lesson. "Fair" is what the boss says it is.

Here's an idea Shawna, use the PM feature or a telephone and all of this wouldn't be broadcast across the state via the internet. Probably a lot less embarrassment for your daughter across the board. Just a thought. I'd almost pay to go to wherever Van Buren County is and people watch in the stands tonight. It'd probably be worth the price of admission.

Nice talking to ya. Ya'll enjoy the rest of your season.

Thanks for your ' thought', Mr. Seagraves. That 'thought' and 50 cents MIGHT buy me a cup of coffee. Oh, and if you need the money for gas to come to our county, I'll be glad to pay your way. Come up to the mountain. I would LOVE to meet you. And once again for people like you who are slow to grasp concepts, I will repeat myself for the last time. I didn't START this forum about my daughter. I just had the guts to defend her when she couldn't defend herself. Many people woudn't be willing to do that, and use their real name.

I am through. I have proven my point. An intelligent debater ALWAYS rests his or her case when he or she has gotten a conviction. I will do so here. SEVENTIESEAGLE took all the negative slander/postings off the website, and admitted that he/she was wrong to even start all this mess. That is all a person can do. Some would say that an apology isn't good enough, because it doesn't change the damage. It won't change what was written, because I have a copy of it. It won't erase the hurt, but a person has to be strong if one is a Christian, and accept an apology when it is offered. There is nothing wrong with a Christian confronting someone who has wronged him or her. When a person wrongs my child, I go to that person. It is actually in the Bible to do so. It is also written that if we have wronged someone else, we should go to that person and ask forgiveness. It would be easier to accept if SEVENTIESEAGLE had used a real name, but I'll accept it nonetheless. This isn't, and never has been your business, Keith. I realize that you can offer up an opinion on an open forum, but I would hope that most people would only offer it up to give needed information, if something pertains directly to him or her, or to help someone or someone's team. You haven't helped anyone. In fact, you have only hurt your reputation as a coach and as a human. I can tell you're bored, but I'm sure your community would like you to now focus on your OWN team instead of someone else's, so why don't you do that? I won't waste any more of MY time responding to you or anyone else.

Again, a good debater (and one who plays fair) quits when he or she gets a retraction and an apology.

Well, unless he or she is an attorney. Then he gets lots of money! lol /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Well, it has been such a nice discussion and using your real name makes you such a real person, so many do that on here...... I am glad you won't waste more space on here defending your daughter, you have done the damage in her eyes and since you can't answer all the posts.......... (Why is starting so important to you? Didn't your daughter finish? Doesn't she play more than others? Didn't you or a family member start this mess of a post anyway? I am sure we all know the answers...........you don't need to reply) you only chose to focus on the negative well that speaks volumes about you, the damage that has been done. Thanks for your two cents. Nice that you are spending the day teaching children, I am sure CoachT is in the cirriculumn or maybe you have taken off the last two days to defend your daughter. I am sure your boss will excuse that!! You can't protect your child forever......she is a great athlete and from what I can tell a great kid, but you have to let go! Good Luck VB Eaglettes, don't let all this mess with the good basketball that you are playing. Coach B stick to the game plan, keep doing what you feel is right. There is a reason you succeed as a coach and others don't make it.

Boy, did this thread take an ugly turn.

It's an interesting topic becuase I spoke with a boys varsity player at our school this morning involved in a similar situation. He had missed a practice in order to attend another school function. Nothing wrong being involved in multiple clubs or teams. I love when students get involved in their school. However, it is the heart of basketball season and as a result of the absence he's not going to start the next game. That said, this young man will still play a great deal of minutes. I think he was a little miffed about it until I just suggested he look at it this way. Would one rather to start and play 5 minutes or come off the bench and play 10-15 minutes ( just throwing numbers out there......and this kid will play quite a bit )

He felt a lot better afterward and I know he'll do a fine job.

Boy, did this thread take an ugly turn.

It's an interesting topic becuase I spoke with a boys varsity player at our school this morning involved in a similar situation. He had missed a practice in order to attend another school function. Nothing wrong being involved in multiple clubs or teams. I love when students get involved in their school. However, it is the heart of basketball season and as a result of the absence he's not going to start the next game. That said, this young man will still play a great deal of minutes. I think he was a little miffed about it until I just suggested he look at it this way. Would one rather to start and play 5 minutes or come off the bench and play 10-15 minutes ( just throwing numbers out there......and this kid will play quite a bit )

He felt a lot better afterward and I know he'll do a fine job.

I think that's how most reasonable people would react Pantherbert. It builds character to 'man up' and take your medicine under the circumstances. Having your cake and eating it too is something that one rarely gets to do. There is generally a price that is paid. In this case, I think not starting after completely missing a district game is a small pittance.

I think the player will remember this thread longer than she'll remember not starting in a high school basketball game.

This thread is ROFL funny, and yet, sad at the same time. Life is full of choices. Every person makes choices based upon their own free will, priorities, and goals. No one should impede a young lady for the persuit of her goals. However, life is filled with results to the choices that we make. I'm not shocked that there is a young lady that had a 4H activity, or went to a pageant. What I'm shocked about is that there is someone that expects there to be no repercussion to that choice. What would have happened if the young lady had chose to play ball and not attend the pageant? Would we expect her to still be aligible to win the pageant though she was not there? No. She wasn't kicked off the team, she wasn't even benched for the whole game. She was just not on the floor for the tip off. The reason that parents shouldn't "HELP" coach, is that they see the "TEAM" through their own special "Sally Sue". While one chose to go else where, there were other players that chose to practice and play. They chose the team. I think that it's better to not to consider it as a "PUNISHMENT" to your daughter that she did not start, but as a "REWARD" to the other player/s that did attend team practices and games. I also think that, at times, we as parents cause our kids more embarressment then we need to.