Gc vs Milan

sls

I feel that GC will come out on top. When GC played Westview, They had four players with double digits, Pate with 15 and Griffen, Butler, and Jennings all had 14. If the whole team rebounds like they did Friday night i think GC will just have to focus on keeping thier defense up to par. But somebody talked about when milan beat OC that was a gift, i totally agree, but i think that when GC lost to OC that was a gift as well, they found out that they can be beat and they have weaknesses and they have corrected them and are ready to take it to state. All thing considered i feel it will be a great game, but being im pulling for the Lady Pioneers to take this one home. Good luck to both teams!

Will be a very close game, may come down to whether Milan allows players on the Free Throw Lane or not.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milan only put people at the FT line once against OC and won. If you think about it, it really does not matter, that much. As a team Milan is shooting about 70% from the line. Just using 10 shots a game, that would only be 3 chances to get a rebound. I would say at least 1 of those would be the front end of a 2 shot situation. That leaves only 2 chances. The good teams box out and eliminate most rebound opportunities. You might get some against weak competition, but there are reasons some teams are better than others and defensive rebounding is one of them. I think Volbert believes it is more important to have a set defense, have some time to talk to players on the side, and give them a chance to rest, and playing 6 players most of the time, not picking up silly fouls. I even noticed NC and Kansas do it occasionally.

Maybe NWTNSPORTS can give us some stats. How many times a game would Milan have a chance to get a rebound if people were on the FT line???

By the way I keep hearing you say this, what reasons besides the remote possibility of getting a rebound a game do you have? Maybe I am missing something. I agree every possesion could mean the difference in winning and losing, but weighing the pros and cons, itis about a non issue.

Milan only put people at the FT line once against OC and won. If you think about it, it really does not matter, that much. As a team Milan is shooting about 70% from the line. Just using 10 shots a game, that would only be 3 chances to get a rebound. I would say at least 1 of those would be the front end of a 2 shot situation. That leaves only 2 chances. The good teams box out and eliminate most rebound opportunities. You might get some against weak competition, but there are reasons some teams are better than others and defensive rebounding is one of them. I think Volbert believes it is more important to have a set defense, have some time to talk to players on the side, and give them a chance to rest, and playing 6 players most of the time, not picking up silly fouls. I even noticed NC and Kansas do it occasionally.

Maybe NWTNSPORTS can give us some stats. How many times a game would Milan have a chance to get a rebound if people were on the FT line???

By the way I keep hearing you say this, what reasons besides the remote possibility of getting a rebound a game do you have? Maybe I am missing something. I agree every possesion could mean the difference in winning and losing, but weighing the pros and cons, itis about a non issue.

Two losses by 1 point is enough statistics for me. The last time I noticed, Milan has a player who can jump a little. Chances of Offensive rebounds on Free Throws is actually very good. One put back in either of the two one point losses would have changed the outcome. You spoke of the Coach's opinion, what is yours ?

Guest nwtnsports

I don't have those stats, but it doesn't happen too much. The big stat, as mentioned, is that GC won the first two games. Milan missed key free throws and committed costly turnovers - that could change the outcome, but it didn't. I think, though, that it's more important with this Milan team to set up on defense than risk a foul on a rebound.

Hope you guys see a great game tonight.

I prefaced my statement with "I think" to actually get Coach V's opinion you would have to ask him.

Most coaches know their team better than the fans

Guest nwtnsports

Milan 54, Gibson Co. 50

GC - 9 10 15 16 - 50

M - 6 15 16 17 - 54

GC - Griffin 17, Butler 15, Jennings 8, Garner 6, J. Pate 2, K. Pate 2

M - Poston 26, Gray 16, Hamm 5, Simpson 4, Glenn 2, Joyner 1

Field goals - GC 18-47 (14-36 2's, 4-11 3's); M 22-44 (22-40 2's, 0-4 3's)

Free throws - GC 10-12, M 10-18

Rebounds - M 25, GC 22

Turnovers - GC 19, M 19

Tournament type game tonight, lot of defense, good active crowd. Milan had a good 1st half in that no one was in foul trouble, and Gray made a big steal as GC was going for the last shot, put M up 21-19 @ 1/2. Butler kept GC in the game with some big 3's. Both teams could cut down the turnovers, but both defenses are pretty tough. These 2 teams can play each other several times and each team would win a fair share.

LOL, awesome job to Milan. I didn't get to make it to the game tonight as I had to work unfortunately. Sounds like a heck of a game! I'm glad I'm having to miss this weeks games rather than missing the tournament games.

As for GC seeing Milan painting up and then running to Wal-Mart. I doubt that, the GC students were painted up at the last game as well.