"non faculty JV coach

POWELL

freshman 'non faculty 'coach Dinkins

JV coach Roberts- TEACHER

BEARDEN

JV 'non faculty' coach Barnes

freshman coach Carter TEACHER

hope this helps

Doesn't really clarify anything as you've written it. What is the difference between a 'non faculty' coach and a volunteer coach? Is the difference simply that the 'non faculty' coach is paid. I'm sure Coach Ogan considered Mocs30 as part of his coaching staff. All the "volunteer " coaches I've known are considered part of the staff and are/were included in the programs, rosters, team pictures, etc. These volunteers aren't just random guys that showed up occassionally to offer a piece of advice. By Knox County's definition, wouldn't a volunteer coach be anyone who wasn't actually on the school system payroll? If so, how are any 'non faculty' coaches coaching? It's not a TSSAA question (since they are perfectly legal in other areas) but a Knox Co. question.

Mocs30 - What EXACTLY is the "new" Knox County policy that was instituted and how was it worded?

As I said I volunteered as a football coach the year after I graduated at Powell and was forced to move down and work with the middle school because of the new rule. Irishball you're correct the only difference between a "non-faculty" coach and a volunteer coach is the fact that a "non-faculty" coach is paid. It's not a matter, as previously mentioned, of throwing a dollar someone's way. It's a matter of that person recieving a coaching supplement. The football program, and I can only assume the basketball program as well, has a select number of supplements to go around. Every coach on staff must be recieving a supplement or he is considered volunteer. Thats my understanding of the new rule. If im mistaken I'm sure Mocs will correct me.

You can be a 'non faculty' coach

but you must be on the coaching staff

not a volunteer.

"non faculty freshman coach"

OR

"non faculty JV coach

POWELL

freshman 'non faculty 'coach Dinkins

JV coach Roberts- TEACHER

BEARDEN

JV 'non faculty' coach Barnes

freshman coach Carter TEACHER

hope this helps

It appears Barnes at Bearden and Dinkins at Powell are paid assistants and therefore not considered volunteers. Status as a teacher or not doesn't effect whether or not a person can be a paid assistant. I do think if you are not a teacher you have to take some kind of class to be a non-teaching coach. I think that the volunteer coaching thing might have something to do with liability since teaching staff is allowed to voluntarily coach.

As far as paying a person a $1 and calling him a paid assistant. Let me speculate that is a no go. The assistant has to be employed by the school system and regardless of how much the booster club pays a person they are still considered a volunteer by the school system. Thats at least how I interpret the policy.

It just kills me as a Knox County taxpayer that we would be stupid enough to refuse volunteer help from a coaching standpoint. Think they'd let you come help in the library, grade papers, work in the clinic etc.? Absolutely.... These volunteer coaches bring alot to the table from a knowledge standpoint that you may not get from a paid assistant that has just been forced(?) into the position whern they were hired. I've seen several coaches thrust into coaching positions with no/limited clue about the sport they're helping with. As a rule thevolunteer coaches often relate better to the players since they are usually younger or are respected because of their experience level playing past high school. Not happening so I'll get off my soapbox.

Non faculty do have to take a test in order to be able to coach that's true. And Irishball the other problem involved here is if no coaches can volunteer, where does the next batch of coaches come from? Instead of having a young man come in and help out wherever he can and learn for a couple of years before landing a job, now they are going to be forced to learn on the fly. It's really a detriment to the level of coaching across Knox County.

Also the assumption of it being a liablity issue is correct. Let's say myself or Mocs is leading a drill, and little tommy rolls his ankle and injures himself. Well now little tommy goes home and tells mommy that it was a volunteer coach leading the drill and suddenly the law suits start flying the HC the AD...it would be a mess. Not to mention there have been allegations leveled against some other volunteer coaches that I know of regarding inappropriate relationships with students....Knox County is just watching out for itself with this rule...as much as I disagree with it, they have some pretty solid reasons.

whew glad to see this thread went the way it did,,,,,,,i thought irish you were just gonna throw another shot at my panthers,

because today is election day i think we should all take a moment and reflect.....yes even a moment of silence ........IN REMEMBERANCE OF ALL STUPID THINGS OUR COUNTY GOVERNMENT DOES!!!!!!!!

If you were a county commisioner or related to a member of the sheriifs dept or to a member of the county mayors staff......i bet the volunteer rule would be waived!

sorry for momentarily hijacking the thread! please continue

whew glad to see this thread went the way it did,,,,,,,i thought irish you were just gonna throw another shot at my panthers,

because today is election day i think we should all take a moment and reflect.....yes even a moment of silence ........IN REMEMBERANCE OF ALL STUPID THINGS OUR COUNTY GOVERNMENT DOES!!!!!!!!

If you were a county commisioner or related to a member of the sheriifs dept or to a member of the county mayors staff......i bet the volunteer rule would be waived!

sorry for momentarily hijacking the thread! please continue

Just an initial semi-shot at the Panthers, which I think are overrated. Let's see how they progress come region time. I could re-think my position after watching them squeeze out a win against the hapless Bobcats. Bet some of these players kicked puppies and tripped old people walking across the street in a former life. Just kidding....

Is it just me or is Central one of the worst Koxville AAA teams I've ever seen? (West doesn't count.) Maybe JD was a lot smarter than I gave him credit for.

There are not enough minutes in a day, week, year, or decade to ponder on all of the stupid things our Knox County government does. However, in voting today I proudly voted for NO incumbents in the GOP primary. Where there was an incumbent on the ballot unopposed, I simply casted no vote.

We need to throw them all out, including the one who is embarrassing everybody in Powell with his sophomorish antics.