Elliot Leaving MBA

BuckLateral

Anybody know what the story is behind Elliot leaving MBA to go to BA as reported in the Nashville City Paper this morning? Here is all that was reported:

........................ Longtime MBA defensive coordinator Floyd Elliott has resigned his post and will take a similar position with the rival Brentwood Academy football team. Elliott, who served as interim head coach at MBA in the early 1990s when then-coach Tommy Owen became ill, has the press box at MBA named after him.

Did BA's defensive coordinator leave? Or is Potter just going to shuffle his staff?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know what the story is behind Elliot leaving MBA to go to BA as reported in the Nashville City Paper this morning? Here is all that was reported:

........................ Longtime MBA defensive coordinator Floyd Elliott has resigned his post and will take a similar position with the rival Brentwood Academy football team. Elliott, who served as interim head coach at MBA in the early 1990s when then-coach Tommy Owen became ill, has the press box at MBA named after him.

Did BA's defensive coordinator leave? Or is Potter just going to shuffle his staff?

My guess...

Mickey Jacobs has been the Defensive Coordinator at BA for several years, but his last child is graduating this year. He undoubtedly wants to concentrate more time on his job in financial planning. He will be missed. Not often that you get a guy with that much college coaching experience to be a high school coordinator.

Those who know me know that I'm the last to speculate badly about MBA. However, yesterday, alumni received an e-newsletter, the last feature of which was this:

We would like to inform the MBA Alumni body before the news reaches the public that Floyd Elliott

has accepted a similar position at Brentwood Academy. MBA would like to thank Coach Elliott for

his years of service to the boys and to the school.

Not exactly a warm and fuzzy farewell to a man who has spent the better part of 30 years at the school, and who is so highly regarded that the pressbox is named after him. I believe this marks the third departure from the MBA staff since November. Since the two gentlemen from Dyersburg left to accept an opportunity in their hometown (and i apologize for not recalling their names; they certainly were excellent additions to the staff), there may be nothing to it, but it certainly seems to be a lot of change from one of the most successful seasons in history.

I haven't heard any reason for Coach Elliot leaving, but I wish him the best of luck. I really enjoyed getting to play under him, and he has been a tremendous part of MBA's success on and off the football field for many years. I believe he will be the head of the math department at BA as well.

I haven't heard anything about the Counces leaving either, but I'm guessing that it might have been a case of homesickness.

Three big pieces of a very successful team are now gone, but I think MBA will be ok. They seem to have a knack for rebounding in these situations.

• 2 weeks later...

Coach Elliot wont be the last to leave either. More to come.......stay tuned..........big time issues and the once proud establishment...........................will get worse before it gets better!!

Best of luck to Coach Elliot. He is a fine teacher and a finer man. BA is fortunate and will be pleased.

However, as far as the "sky is falling" attitude exhibited by many who disdain this fine institution, I seem to recall that last year the sentiment was similar. The results just didn't pan out for those naysayers.

Change is part of life. It isn't always a bad thing. There are some very positive additions happening as well as well.

It may be a little early to get excited about MBA's demise.

Coach Elliot wont be the last to leave either. More to come.......stay tuned..........big time issues and the once proud establishment...........................will get worse before it gets better!!

Better than the most wins in school history on the way to an undefeated state championship season with more alumni involvement and enthusiasm than any time in recent history?