Everything Pickett Co. here on out

7asuperfan

I mean Adam lead Upperman to state that same year, if that tells you anything about him. PC lost two or three good players off that team to other school. James Gibson's brother Jason he graduated the year after Aaron and Crouch, left to go to Clinton Co. He was twice as good as James is. He was about 6'3' long and lanky arms, he could dunk. He was just as good a point guard as Crouch was. If those two would have stayed then PC might have won more than what they did from that little stretch.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Asberry's left because their dad Steve got a job at Upperman, along with their mom. It had something to do with Mitchell getting fired and either A. Brent Smith getting the job, or B. Steve not actually getting the job himself. But I heard something a while back, that if Bibb had gotten the job after 00-01 season (which he applied for) the Aberry's would have stayed in Byrdstown. PC might have two more state championships. When Aaron was here all he needed was the inside presense that Adam gave him every year before. Thats exactly why we lost that first round game in the 02 state tourny, they just stayed on Aaron because he was the only one that could score. And Alan, he would have almost certainly helped PC in 04-05, maybe even 03-04, those two years PC had a path paved to state but couldn't do anything with it.

I may be wrong, but I believe Adam had a choice to finish playing basketball at PC his senior year or go to Upperman, but chose Upperman. I believe last years team had a shot at winning the State tournament if they would have won their home substate game. If you can just get to the state tournament, it really is anyone's championship to win, at least in class A.

I think your right, but noone would leave their family to stay for basketball. I think last year was the best chance PC has had to win it since 03-04 when I think Unaka won it. PC beat Unaka pretty badly in that Thanksgiving tournament, but PC couldn't make it past region. Last year all the tough teams were on the other side of the bracket, Humbolt and Temple were both on the other side, PC would have had Culleoka as their biggest test in the semi-finals, and PC had already beat Temple earlier in the year. The only difference in last years team and this years team is depth. They didn't just lose Roddy, they Lost Elmore and Copeland coming off the bench, who quit before their senior year, How dumb can those moves be. But I don't know if 03-04 or 06-07 losses before state were near as painful as the one PC suffered in 93-94 season to Friendship in the first round of region. PC was the single A state favorite, was that the toughest loss in school history CASC?

I think your right, but noone would leave their family to stay for basketball. I think last year was the best chance PC has had to win it since 03-04 when I think Unaka won it. PC beat Unaka pretty badly in that Thanksgiving tournament, but PC couldn't make it past region. Last year all the tough teams were on the other side of the bracket, Humbolt and Temple were both on the other side, PC would have had Culleoka as their biggest test in the semi-finals, and PC had already beat Temple earlier in the year. The only difference in last years team and this years team is depth. They didn't just lose Roddy, they Lost Elmore and Copeland coming off the bench, who quit before their senior year, How dumb can those moves be. But I don't know if 03-04 or 06-07 losses before state were near as painful as the one PC suffered in 93-94 season to Friendship in the first round of region. PC was the single A state favorite, was that the toughest loss in school history CASC?

That was a tough loss to Friendship in 1994, I was at that game. The State Championship game against BGA in the 1992-93 season is one of the toughest I think (lost 73-70). PC had the State won, but threw the ball away with like a minute to go. It makes me sick to my stomach to this day and I was even a youngster then. However, I have heard that around 1974-75 maybe 1973 that PC had a good team that may have won the state then if they were not upset by Gainesboro (name at the time I believe). PC beat them two times during the year. I believe this was Jerry K. senior year. My dad played on that team and to this day, thinking of that lose still makes him sick to his stomach.

Rev, I'm just about to head up to LA to watch it, should be a good one, I don't expect it to be more than 10 either way it goes, hoping and thinking PC will win it. Jacob is just too good to be shut down, he had one bad game this year and that was at Clay and he still scored 21 I think. Clay Co. fans are saying this game is their team is the best team in the district, given they are good, but they didn't win the regular season so I can't help but disagree. How can you say a team who lost almost as many games as it has won and lost four district games the best team in the district? Crazy JC and CC fans. Atleast Clarkrange and RBS are sensable fans. They know who the better team is. I say Jacob has 25+ unless Logan really steps. I see TC having a big game underneath because he usually doesn't get into too much foul trouble in post season play. Should be a good one, PC 62- CC 54 is my prediction, Jacob has 28 and wins District MVP. Good luck Cats. CASC, I'll reply to your thing when I get back from the game, hope to see everyone at the game.

A couple of notes concerning PC. I already posted this somewhere else, but I think Brent Logan got exactly enough points last night to put him up to 1,000 pts for his career. Congrats, that makes three players on this current team with a 1,000 pts. Some other side notes, PC made it 10 wins in a row after last night championship win. Some notes that affect PC, last night Temple beat Grace Baptist in their district final, so that puts Grace and Chatt. Arts and Sciences in the same bracket and meeting in the semi-finals game instead of the championship. That will more than likely send Temple to PC in the end instead of Grace. Van Buren lost to Eagleville last night, should make it interesting when VB meets Nashville Christian in the semi-final round. NC has only lost one game all year, but they haven't played any good teams and are ranked #3 in the State AP poll. Culleoka lost to Moore Co. last night so that puts them playing Collinwood in the second round, I would guess that won't be an easy game for them either. Also Union City will have a win or go home game with Lake Co. in the semi-finals which won't be an easy game for them. Looks like things could pave out again for PC to get to state. Right now it looks like besides East TN teams, they have the best road to getting to state if they can just handle their business. The only team they should be thinking about right now is Friendship.

A couple of notes concerning PC. I already posted this somewhere else, but I think Brent Logan got exactly enough points last night to put him up to 1,000 pts for his career. Congrats, that makes three players on this current team with a 1,000 pts. Some other side notes, PC made it 10 wins in a row after last night championship win. Some notes that affect PC, last night Temple beat Grace Baptist in their district final, so that puts Grace and Chatt. Arts and Sciences in the same bracket and meeting in the semi-finals game instead of the championship. That will more than likely send Temple to PC in the end instead of Grace. Van Buren lost to Eagleville last night, should make it interesting when VB meets Nashville Christian in the semi-final round. NC has only lost one game all year, but they haven't played any good teams and are ranked #3 in the State AP poll. Culleoka lost to Moore Co. last night so that puts them playing Collinwood in the second round, I would guess that won't be an easy game for them either. Also Union City will have a win or go home game with Lake Co. in the semi-finals which won't be an easy game for them. Looks like things could pave out again for PC to get to state. Right now it looks like besides East TN teams, they have the best road to getting to state if they can just handle their business. The only team they should be thinking about right now is Friendship.

7asuperfan,

Where is the regional tournament played?

there are a couple of good articles in the herald-citizen this week on Pickett co. Check them out on the herald-citizen.com and go to the sports page. I'm glad Pickett co has finally got someone (craig delk) and a paper (herald-citizen) who know wha they are doing and giving them the coverage they deserve. The pickett press does an awful job of covering the cats in both regular season and post season coverage. 1 reason is because they have a guy writing the articles, who doesn't go into enough details of the games, and he doesn't interview coach bibb or the players. And the 2 reason is the paper using old pictures on current games. Have you all ever noticed that when say for example when we play clarkrange away the pictures are of players in the home jerseys? Or one that really got me, when Pickett played @ temple, the pictures of the game were of a game earlier in the year. Just kills me. If you are gonna have a sports section or even more, if you are gonna pay a guy to cover pc basketball, then atleast do some interviews and make that guy take some pictures of the actual game. This has been bugging me for a while but seeing those good articles on the herald's web site made me think of it again. The press has a website, why not use it the same as the herald. If the press needs help, I'm for hire and would be glad to do it.

That was a tough loss to Friendship in 1994, I was at that game. The State Championship game against BGA in the 1992-93 season is one of the toughest I think (lost 73-70). PC had the State won, but threw the ball away with like a minute to go. It makes me sick to my stomach to this day and I was even a youngster then. However, I have heard that around 1974-75 maybe 1973 that PC had a good team that may have won the state then if they were not upset by Gainesboro (name at the time I believe). PC beat them two times during the year. I believe this was Jerry K. senior year. My dad played on that team and to this day, thinking of that lose still makes him sick to his stomach.

Alright well it took me a little longer to reply to this than I meant to but oh well. I think the 93 loss was pretty tough because it was in the finals, but atleast they got hardware for their efforts. That next season (93-94) I think they were ranked as the number one team in the state, no one was supposed to be anywhere close to them, then they go and lose to a #4 seed (Friendship) in the region tournament, That one hurt, that year probably gives us 3 gold balls. But I'm with you, that 93 loss makes me sick. That is one of the first games I can remember. I was only like 8 yrs old, but I think I cried after that game. You know I didn't know about that game in the 70's, my dad was 2 yrs behind yours, and he never mentioned that game, but he always talks about games they had one and they slipped away and how they should have beat upperman a couple of years. My dad played and was in the same class with Asberry if that tells you who I am. But yeah those 70's teams with Kichen should have been better. Kichen and Asberry alone should have been enough for PC to beat a lot of teams most night. I think a lot of it was that Jerry was a senior and Steve was just a sophomore. If they are in the same grade, they make it to state a couple of times. And you have to remember, back then the schools in our district were tougher and larger. I mean you had the teams in the district now, Plus Baxter (before it was Upperman) and you had Rickman High (before it closed to combine with LA) so basketball was just a tougher game, with more teams in our district. Basketball was just all about girls basketball back then is why I guess I don't really include those games in the worse ever. Anything from say the last 20 years I include.