Stalling explained by the xperts!

gonavy2

I heard that story about Brands too. Funny stuff

Jakesdad's story wasn't Brands, it was Coach Henry and I was the official.

WrestlingLover - I can respect you having a different opinion concerning a single match, but I noticed you didn't address the number of calls by a single ref in the other matches. What about the 160 match?Again, I knew what the Red's strategy was and I saw him attempting to implement that strategy although not too effectively. I will guarantee you he was not "coached" to run and anyone who observed the coaches from the bench would concur. Are you really saying in your opinion you thought the one official wasn't calling stalling much much more then the others?

Boro - My "retrained" statement for all other refs was meant as a "joke". When one guy is way more aggressive then the others, pulling the one fellow back in line is the most prudent. Putting on the stripped shirt doesn't empower one to become a crusader for their own interpretation of the rules.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd challenge someone who has this tape to post it on YouTube and give us the link. I think the overwhelming majority of posters on Coach T would agree this guy never made any move other than backwards from the beginning. Bottom line is good call by the ref.

Ok, but question still is unanswered. How did you KNOW that the he didn't want to wrestle? Was it because he moved backwards? Does this mean ever wrestler that moves backwards doesn't want to wrestle?

Having been at this meet and watched all the matches, I must point out one telling thing about this particular match. The baylor hvy was backing up the entire match, even his own coach was signaling him to shoot or do something positive. I only saw him attempt to circle, instead of just going backward off the mat, twice. Each time he tried to circle, which was right at the edge, that allowed the FR hvy to get in tighter and throw him to his back, which always ended off the mat. When the ref finally waived the match off for the third stalling call, the baylor hvy looked over at his coach and the coach just lifted his arms, shrugged his shoulders as if to say what did you expect? He never attempted one offensive move. The refs made the right call and by the actions of his coach I would say this was on the wrestler, in other words he was not coached to stall, he did not come to that match ready to wrestle.

Having been at this meet and watched all the matches, I must point out one telling thing about this particular match. The baylor hvy was backing up the entire match, even his own coach was signaling him to shoot or do something positive. I only saw him attempt to circle, instead of just going backward off the mat, twice. Each time he tried to circle, which was right at the edge, that allowed the FR hvy to get in tighter and throw him to his back, which always ended off the mat. When the ref finally waived the match off for the third stalling call, the baylor hvy looked over at his coach and the coach just lifted his arms, shrugged his shoulders as if to say what did you expect? He never attempted one offensive move. The refs made the right call and by the actions of his coach I would say this was on the wrestler, in other words he was not coached to stall, he did not come to that match ready to wrestle.

Ok, let me ask my question like this. It is obvious in everyone's opinion that there was stalling (well, almost everyone). But did ya'll know this prior to the match? Did you expect that the Baylor Hwy was not wanting to wrestling, and would probably try to avoid locking it up? Or was this something that you had no idea of, and recognized it while the match was going on? Was this something that someone that had no knowledge of these two wrestlers would have seen in the first 20 seconds of the match?

Walkenvol,

It was obvious to me from the start this young man wasn't interested in wrestling the FR Hvy. The referee didn't need to wait until the 3rd period. This rule is there for a reason, and it fit here.

The FR kid was also not interested in wrestling - only pushing - not shooting a taketown, a duckunder, a knee pick, headsnap etc... just pushing and blocking with his head and forearm. I believe that neither wrestler was interested in making an offensive move from neutral. They should have both been hit for stalling or neither. But the ref should not have decided the match. It almost seemed like he wanted the spotlight.

I second the vote to post the match on youtube.

I heard a story once of a prominent Chattanooga Coach who was so displeased with his own wrestler??™s lack of aggression in a match ??“ he demanded that the official call stalling (on his own wrestler). I??™d like to see more of that.

Our coach threw in the towel on one of our kids because he was stalling so badly.

Boro - My "retrained" statement for all other refs was meant as a "joke". When one guy is way more aggressive then the others, pulling the one fellow back in line is the most prudent. Putting on the stripped shirt doesn't empower one to become a crusader for their own interpretation of the rules.

Joke taken. I whole heartedly agree that putting on the striped shirt does not allow one to become a crusader and that is should never be the case. I will say that I have taken issue with some officials. But I also have their backs as hopefully they would mine. I am not beyond admitting if I have made a mistake and hope my counterparts are capable of the same humility. I will also say that in recounting your issues with the official in question that while you have issue with the frequency that stalling was called you did not disagree with the actual call (not as far I could tell anyway). I have myself called stalling as soon as 20-30 seconds in a match. Stalling is stalling whether it is 20 seconds into a match, 20 seconds left in a match or anywhere in between. You are correct that a level of consistency should be present. I will gladly concede that point and back up your assertion there. I would also say that stalling is not called enough. I ,admittingly, call it more aggressively than most of my counterparts from past experience. Whether it is considered being prudent or not I am not here to debate. The issue is whether the call is correct or not, according to the established rules of competition.

Our coach threw in the towel on one of our kids because he was stalling so badly.

My sophomore year at the Brentwood tournament i saw the McCallie coach throw the towel in on his wrestler facing Clarksville's Tom Minwell.... It was very suprising to see in the finals of such a big tournament

I will also say that in recounting your issues with the official in question that while you have issue with the frequency that stalling was called you did not disagree with the actual call (not as far I could tell anyway).

I have stated that IMHO it is fruitless to debate the finer points of stalling as it all comes back to the same place - judgement. I also don't wish to reflect negatively toward either of the wrestlers as again IMHO they both appeared frustrated in their joint inabliity to create the level of action desired - not their lack of desire to create action. I also don't wish to reflect negatively toward an individual ref and am glad no one has brought up his name - inappropriate. I mainly got onto this topic because of what I perceived as other posters slamming the red 275 which lead to the point that one of the officials was exponentially more aggressive with his stalling calls throughout the tournament and I believe the score book will back my stance. Should the Red 275 have recognised how the match was being called and adjusted - absolutely. Could stalling have been called during this match - yes. Was it appropriate to DQ in the 2nd period - IMHO no. Have I seen hundreds of heavy weights with the same or less action - yes, yes, yes, and no one was ever DQed. Does the TSSAA owe it to these competitors to attempt to provide a reasonably consistent level of officiating between individuals - yes.

Can someone please explain the mechanics of stalling in hs wrestling? Also, why does a well-coached wrestler get the benefit of the doubt when taken down on the edge and in the same match the opponent might be called for fleeing the mat? Lastly, when two refs are calling a match, and the lead ref is " a little less competent", and the second ref overrides him, is this better or worse than the randomness of bad calls? (also, sometimes, the spontanious nature of the call gets lost with the "look" each gives the other). Please respond, thanks!

I am late to this thread.

Your premise here is wrong.

Stalling shows a lack of mechanics.

I am trying to visualize a take down at the edge of the mat and verses fleeing?

My guess is the lesser offical, who is the mat offical may seek the asistant official's opinion or ask what he saw.

When I am the assistant and am asked an opinion by the mat official, I make him ask me questions, and I answer them, not adding to them. We dont do clinics to instruct on officiating on the mat, or shouldnt. Its the mat official's call.