District 14A Tournament

Well the two games went as expected, and both were fun games to watch. Halls came out and shot lights out in the first half as i expected them to do and Union City finished with a fury in the second half as i expected them to do..Tony Wilkins played outstanding basketball for Union City. That might had been the best game i saw him play all year..I dunno how many points he had but he came up big tonight..Congrats. to him..And MJ Brown was just MJ Brown doing his thang as he always does..Lake Co. lead the whole game til the 4th quarter and the Boldt turned it up a knotch to put the falcons away...NOTE..Only 2 players scored in the 2nd half for the Falcons being Geans and Abbot..Lake Co. just broke down mentaly down the stretch and didnt get it done..The region is still ahead for the 4 teams and thats when some hearts will get broken..Honestly..I would hate to play the Falcons in a loser go home in the region tourny because they are very dangerous and sooner or later i think they will get over the hump..Its a shame all 3 of these tems cant go to state and show the Middle and East what this district really is..Im not leaving out Manassas..These guys could represent the west as good as anyone in the west..A AA or AAA...Good luck to the BIG 4.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody who is familiar with how Halls plays Union City wasn't surprised with how the game last nite shook out...Halls seems to always play Union City tough for a half and last nite was no different...The Tigers came out hot and time and time again broke Union City's press for easy buckets...Halls had as much as an 11 point lead on the Tornadoes as late as 47-36...I remember that score because I turned to my son and told him that it was about time for Union City to go on one of their runs....There was about 3 1/2 minutes left in the half at that time and a run the Tornadoes went on....With most all the gym cheering the Tigers on,the Tornadoes,with their second five on the court turned up the defensive pressure and started turning Halls over....Union City ended the half on a 19-5 run that put them up 55-52 at the half....Halls has some good players,just not enough of them...Union City was switching 5 in and out at a time and then trying to get the right combo in the game...Halls was playing with 6 and just wore down..The right combo for Union City came in the form of MJ Brown,Tony Wilkins,Andre' Coby,Ryne Simpson and Pat Polk...MJ ended the game with 19 points but he wasn't the story..At first it was Andre'Coby lighting the Tigers up and then Tony Wilkins...Coby ended the game with 22 points while Wilkins poured in a game high 31..Wilkins was unstoppable with his drives around the basket and his stick backs off missed shots..Polk ended up with 11,way above his average....

Consolation Game....

Saturday Feb.16th.....4:30 PM....Dresden High School.....

#5(16-12)Halls vs #3(25-7)Lake County

Lake County has defeated Halls twice this season.....

@ Halls.........70-68

@ Lake County....70-52

Championship Game....

Monday Feb.18th......6:30 PM......Dresden High School...

#2(23-2)Humboldt vs #1(29-0)Union City

Union City has defeated Humboldt twice this season....

@ Humboldt......85-78

@Union City......73-61

Here is the history of the Union City-Humboldt series since the two dropped to 1A in the 2005-2006 season....

2005-2006

@ Union City-70....Humboldt-63

@ Humboldt-85.....Union City-79

Dist. Semi-Finals...Humboldt-89....Union City-79

Region Championship...Humboldt-86...Union City-83

Union City went on to win the State Championship by beating Grace Baptist Acd...Grace defeated Humboldt in the State Semi-Finals

2006-2007

@ Union City-84....Humboldt-71

@Humboldt-70....Union City-88

Region Semi-Finals....Humboldt-86....Union City-83

The Vikings ended UC's attempt to go back-to-back with the upset win over the #1 ranked Tornadoes....Humboldt eventually lost to Temple in the State Semi-Finals....

I have already mentioned the two games the Vikings and Tornadoes have played this season...If you are a Union City fan you have to be happy about the series in the regular season because over the past three seasons the Tornadoes own a 5-1 advantage over the Vikings....If you are a Humboldt fan you have to take comfort in the fact that your Vikings sport a 3-0 record over the Tornadoes in the district and regional tournaments....Something has to give Monday nite....The Vikings are on a 12 game winning streak while Union City has won 29 straight...Union City was the last team to beat Humboldt and Humboldt was the last team to beat Union City(2-27-07)....

Should be a great game between the states top two teams.....I'm predicting Union City will run their record to 30-0 with a 86-83 win....See the irony??... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Congrats to Union City and Humboldt on their wins last night...Union City was very impressive in the second half of their game..Once again my Falcons showed they are not mentally tough enough or disciplined enough to win a close game or hold a big lead against a good team..I believe Lake Co led all the way until the 4th quarter except for a brief 2-0 Humboldt lead at the start of the game..I believe Lak eCo had a 10 or 11 point at one time in the 3rd quarter..Instead of coming down and looking for a good shot or better shot selection..it's like ..we have a 10 point lead..I'm going to be the one to shoot a 3 and put the game away..We had a couple players shoot three's that were just poor shot selections and one of them were by a player that shouldn't ever be shooting a three....Once again..Lake Co deserved to be in the situation they're in...Actually the loser of the U.C.-Humboldt may actually have the easiest road in the regional tournament once again as the winner will be back in the bracket once again in a loser go home game..But then again..Lake Co hasn't proven that they have the discipline to win the big game..so maybe not that big a hurdle anyway..But who knows..That one night..Lake Co may just find that magic to finally put a game away..Congrats to both Humboldt and Union City..

Congrats to Union City and Humboldt on their wins last night...Union City was very impressive in the second half of their game..Once again my Falcons showed they are not mentally tough enough or disciplined enough to win a close game or hold a big lead against a good team..I believe Lake Co led all the way until the 4th quarter except for a brief 2-0 Humboldt lead at the start of the game..I believe Lak eCo had a 10 or 11 point at one time in the 3rd quarter..Instead of coming down and looking for a good shot or better shot selection..it's like ..we have a 10 point lead..I'm going to be the one to shoot a 3 and put the game away..We had a couple players shoot three's that were just poor shot selections and one of them were by a player that shouldn't ever be shooting a three....Once again..Lake Co deserved to be in the situation they're in...Actually the loser of the U.C.-Humboldt may actually have the easiest road in the regional tournament once again as the winner will be back in the bracket once again in a loser go home game..But then again..Lake Co hasn't proven that they have the discipline to win the big game..so maybe not that big a hurdle anyway..But who knows..That one night..Lake Co may just find that magic to finally put a game away..Congrats to both Humboldt and Union City..

I wanted someone from Lake County to post first because I didn't want to be bringing it up...But since you did,I will say it too...Lake County should've won that game last nite...Humboldt was just going through the motions for three quarters....More than once I heard people saying that Humboldt didn't even look like they wanted to win...I almost started believing that myself until I started paying attention to the two coaches for Humboldt...They didn't want to lose,that's for sure...You are exactly correct about the Falcons discipline or lack thereof...When they were up 10 or 11 they didn't show any offensive discipline..They were just throwing up wild threes when they needed to be running clock..They could have worked the ball inside more..They allowed Humboldt to hang around until they hit a couple of shots and started feeling good and then the crowd got back into it...Even when LC got down 7 points at the end they had their opportunities but wouldn't take advantage of them....I also saw something last nite that I have seen before and that was at the end,during a timeout LC had a player jawing with Whitby....There is no room for that at this point of the season...Again,probably goes back to the lack of discipline...Lake County has the potential to beat either Union City or Humboldt...As my high school football coach,soon to be Hall of Fame Inductee Randy Barnes,would say.."Potential means you haven't done anything yet."That kind of describes these Falcons...They could have beaten UC twice this season and could have won last against Humboldt...But they haven't done either yet....The Falcons have put themselves in a bad place..They will not be guaranteed a win today when they face Halls...Halls is playing pretty good ball right now and LC doesn't have the bench the Tigers had to deal with last nite....They have also put themselves opposite of the district tournament champion in the regional tournament semi-final in that all or nothing game....As far as Humboldt goes,if they come out Monday nite and play like they did last nite they will get beat very badly....But we all know that they won't...They will come out and hit everything they throw up and hit their free throws..It should be a great game again Monday nite....

**DISCLAIMER** For spellerone...Lake County had alot to do with how Humboldt played last nite.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I really wish I could've been at the Humboldt game last night! I was getting updates the whole night...but just wanted to get on here and say congrats to Humboldt...Humboldt always shows up in the playoffs so they were able to come back against Lake Co. and close out the game...just from what I've read on here it seems like Lake Co. couldn't get anything going in the 2nd half...Jackson Sun said that Lake Co. made 7 3s in the first half but were 2-11 in the 2nd half from 3 and they were 6-33 from FGs in the 2nd half also...but congrats to Humboldt again!

Final.....

Lake County-87

Halls-74

Halls trimmed the Falcons lead down to 6 (65-59) early in the final frame but could get no closer....The Falcons outscored the Tigers 22-19 over the final 8 minutes...The 22-7 advantage for the Falcons in the 2nd quarter over the Tigers was the difference in this game as Halls outscored Lake County in the other three quarters 67-65....

Leading Scorers for Halls....

D.Ivory-22pts

R.Foster-18pts

K.Ward-12pts

M.Hudson-10pts

Leading Scorers for Lake County....

R.Avery-25pts

T.Abbott-16pts

P.Robertson-16pts

C.Geanes-14pts

Coach Jim Whitby was not present at the game this afternoon..He was in Memphis attending to some family medical problems....

The Halls Tigers will now advance to the Region 7A Tournament as the District 14A's 4th seed also to be held at Dresden High School...They will face the winner of the Big Sandy/Clarksburg game on the road....The Lake County Falcons will enter region play as the #3 seed from 14A and will travel to face the loser of the Big Sandy/Clarksburg game...District 13A will hold their Consolation and Championship games on Monday nite at West Carroll....

Consolation Game....

Saturday Feb.16th.....4:30 PM....Dresden High School.....

#5(16-12)Halls vs #3(25-7)Lake County

Lake County has defeated Halls twice this season.....

@ Halls.........70-68

@ Lake County....70-52

Championship Game....

Monday Feb.18th......6:30 PM......Dresden High School...

#2(23-2)Humboldt vs #1(29-0)Union City

Union City has defeated Humboldt twice this season....

@ Humboldt......85-78

@Union City......73-61

Here is the history of the Union City-Humboldt series since the two dropped to 1A in the 2005-2006 season....

2005-2006

@ Union City-70....Humboldt-63

@ Humboldt-79.....Union City-85

Dist. Semi-Finals...Humboldt-89....Union City-79

Region Championship...Humboldt-86...Union City-83

Union City went on to win the State Championship by beating Grace Baptist Acd...Grace defeated Humboldt in the State Semi-Finals

2006-2007

@ Union City-84....Humboldt-71

@Humboldt-70....Union City-88

Region Semi-Finals....Humboldt-86....Union City-83

The Vikings ended UC's attempt to go back-to-back with the upset win over the #1 ranked Tornadoes....Humboldt eventually lost to Temple in the State Semi-Finals....

I have already mentioned the two games the Vikings and Tornadoes have played this season...If you are a Union City fan you have to be happy about the series in the regular season because over the past three seasons the Tornadoes own a 5-1 advantage over the Vikings....If you are a Humboldt fan you have to take comfort in the fact that your Vikings sport a 3-0 record over the Tornadoes in the district and regional tournaments....Something has to give Monday nite....The Vikings are on a 12 game winning streak while Union City has won 29 straight...Union City was the last team to beat Humboldt and Humboldt was the last team to beat Union City(2-27-07)....

Should be a great game between the states top two teams.....I'm predicting Union City will run their record to 30-0 with a 86-83 win....See the irony??... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Hate to point out mistakes but in the 2005-2006 season UC didn't beat Humboldt at Humboldt. I believe Humboldt was down double digits at the half. Toylon Smith came out and took control in the second half scoring 32 for the game. I think that's the game Weddle had 46. Not that it really matters but just for the sake of accuracy.

Hate to point out mistakes but in the 2005-2006 season UC didn't beat Humboldt at Humboldt. I believe Humboldt was down double digits at the half. Toylon Smith came out and took control in the second half scoring 32 for the game. I think that's the game Weddle had 46. Not that it really matters but just for the sake of accuracy.

Yes,you are right...Thanks for pointing it out...That was also the game after Sisco had benched 4 starters for the Lake County game in UC which the Falcons won..UC still had one starter out that was serving a suspension and UC was up big during the first half..Those are the only two regular season district games Union City has lost since moving down to 1A....

Weddle had 46 in the Region Championship game that year. I believe Humboldt was down by 11 at halftime and came back to win by 7 at Humboldt. If I'm not mistaken Tony Mosely was the starter out that game, and he wasn't a factor that year against Humboldt. In the District semi's in '06 at South Fulton is when Humboldt had Union City down by 19 in the 1st half when Weddle went down with a turned ankle. Humboldt led by as much as 29 before halftime. Toylon Smith also hurt his toe (turf toe) in that game and had to sit out the Championship game against Lake Co and the first round of Region against Huntingdon.