The merit based system....

Hey you'll someone thinks you can spot talent in middle school. You think of that, the cats out of the bag now. We all know, because everybody on here except us little 1a public school supporters, says there's no way to do that. I believe you'll need to take a look at the post below. I think he knows what he's talking about.

post written by Huffman3206

Ezell Harding a ton of studs in middleschool they went 10-0 allowing 1 touchdown all year and scoring over 40 touchdowns winning the tn state over central middle they had 4 line backers who ran average 4.8sec and looked like juniors in highschool.

You can find this post on the regular football board under "who's the top ten freshment in TN". You know, I believe I have been right all along in saying that you'll could go and watch these players in middle school and spot the good ones. I think it's time for the split, multiplier or something, but definitely not the merit based sytem. I don't want to be penalized for having a good team every now and then. I don't know about the rest of the 1a public schools but we would fall way short on having this kind of talent. Hey ELA can you compete with this at your school?

[Edited by pujo on 7/6/02 11:44P]

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those kids already go to Ezell. When people on here say you can't spot talent in middle school they are referring to the claims made by others that private schools go out and recruit middle schoolers to come to their school from other schools. But if the kids already go to Ezell then it doesn't matter. For all you know they have been there since kindergarten.

Why do ya'll keep saying that private schools choose their students??? While that is true to a point that is also a bad misconception. Ya'll act like private schools have the name and athletic ability of ever kid in the city and have a choice of thousands. Private schools choose from their applicants. And I can tell you that many would take more students if they could because most of them need more money. But the fact is at many of them kids aren't beating down the door and they take pretty much who they can get. It takes a lot of money to run a school and they need as many students as they can get.

I will also like to point out the fact that many of these private schools are religiously affiliated. Therefore they are limiting themselves right then and there to some people. For instance most catholics are not going to go to a baptist school. Or people with no religious affliation aren't going to go to one of these schools. You will find that a large % of these student bodies attends a church of like faith. That is the main reason that many of these kids attend these schools, so they have to opportunity to express themselves how they want to and not have to worry about some fool from who knows where telling them they don't have the right to do this or that because they are offended.

Ezell is church of christ...which is not baptist, southern baptist, jewish, or catholic...trust me I know, I am church of christ. You guys really don't know what you are talking about, it's not like they are born with a silver spoon in their mouth, maybe some of the kids parents work at the school, or their parents are pastors, or their parents just want them to go to a good academic school and not worry as much about drugs and such...or they want them to go to an all boys or girls school...

Well I can see by your posts that you (VOL "G") will never be happy with any plan other than his own. I don't think any coach will vote for that plan because it effects schools other sports teams (baseball, softball, basketball) etc., so I think the multiplier is a better way. Of course you don't like my idea, but a multiplier is at least more fair than doing nothing at all! You just don't like that idea because it will be more difficult for USJ to hang with the better schools!

Caesar...I`m not saying that what I have proposed is the best system, but I definitely think the concept of it is the best. You shouldn`t just force a team up with the sole reason being they are a private school. As you can see, I`m not opposed to seeing better teams moving up. It should just be for the right reasons. I`d even go a step further and say that only private schools could be bumped up, since several here don`t like the idea of public schools having to get moved. But if they are moved up, it should be for "merit" reasons and not for just being a private school.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 7/7/02 10:43P]

In concept, VG's is the best...it puts teams that are winning against harder competition, thus evening the talent pool.

It doesn't add numbers to ALL private schools, thus teams like Lighthouse Christian do not continue to struggle.

It does allow us to see who really is better in terms of enrollment...we won't have to wonder if Collinwood would have really beaten USJ (because they are not split).

I think the concept and ideas are there, I like ELA's too, but I do not like mathematical concepts used to determine whose the best...once again I use the example of Nebraska and Miami last year.

Volunteer General... go back to my second original posting on the Combination Thread and tell me which of the former Division 1A schools that you think shouldn't be moved up to Class AA in the proposed six combined classes? Was it USJ, CPA, Ezell-Harding, or some other school? I think all of the weaker schools were still in Class A, except for the financial Aid schools which you don't want to play anyway!