The merit based system....

Other states use a multipler for private schools, they seen teh need. Most of the other private school supporters don't mind the multiplier, they understand the advantages the private schools have. Nobody uses a multipler for the public schools, which in essence is what your merit plan is doing. You talk pretty good for a city feller, but you spelled schul wrong. It's with a U not an E.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pujo...my idea was nothing like a multiplier. By making posts like that, you lose credibility. But that`s ok...I`ll continue to read your posts, because no one ever knows what your going to come up with next.

BTW...What`s the closest LARGE city to Roan Mountain? In which direction and how many miles away is it? I`m just trying to picture in my mind where you are. I`m not coming to "git" you...LOL!!! I just have no earthly idea where Roan Mountain is.

Thanks VG

pujo...I got my info from the TSSAA website. Under football classifications, Trousdale is about the 7th public school from the bottom. I think ELA`s plan has at least 9 privates moving up.

Football Division I Class 2A

Enrollment School

364 Rockwood High School

369 Mitchell High School

377 Goodpasture Christian School

384 Tyner Academy

384 Dresden High School

386 Manassas High School

386 Alcoa High School

387 Adamsville High School

390 Trousdale Co. High School

394 Houston Co. High School

396 Huntingdon High School

Do the math...

BTW...I see Alcoa would be moved down too. They along with Trousdale, South Pitt and possibly one or two others would be ruling 1A year in and year out.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 7/10/02 11:01P]

I guess Johnson City would be the biggest place near us, although it don't even compare to the size of Knoxville. It's about 45 minutes. As far as your plan goes, I think you would have to be more specific, because there's just too much guess work. Who would move up?

pujo...you can go back to the start of this thread and read the first post. I have added a few changes though, but it will give you a good idea. You can`t really say who would move up, since it is based on merit of individual teams. You don`t have to take my idea to be exact, but just the general concept of finding a way to move teams up if they have begun to "outplay" their current class.Which is what most on here say that several private schools are doing. By looking at the numbers from the TSSAA, Rockwood would be first in line to move down to 1A if and when a team got moved up.

Volunteer... there are more great 1A public programs than you think! Up until a couple of years ago, Moore County was a dominate 1A football team defeating Collinwood year in and year out! Gordonsville has always been a solid program! Oneida has a solid football program with a great stadium and a lot of loyal fans! Bruceton (in your neck of the woods) has a solid team, South Pittsburg, Trousdale, Cloudland, and now Collinwood... I don't think any one team will always denominate in the small rural public schools because unlike many private schools they simply don't have access to the talent pool that most METRO private schools enjoy! These schools will have a great class of athletes pass through their doors every so often and make a run for two or three seasons (i.e. Collinwood) and then drop back a little while they rebuild and wait for more talent to climb up the ladder!

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with VolGen's plan...I have not heard an argument yet that held up (including my own about memphis schools).

The only one I saw that mattered was the Riverdale thing about how they couldn't move up, obviously you will have a team that is successful at the top of the ladder.

Volgen's plan is the best in concept, as someone said earlier, "Why should this years seniors live up to last years?"

Well I hate to tell you, but thats life. When you go to the state semi-finals one year, you are expected to do it again, thats why you set the bar high. I felt pressure this year for my team to advance to the playoffs, have a winning record, and beat the state champions that we hadn't beaten in 5 years. We did all of those things, and more...thats what makes it fun, and exciting.

In the NFL, there is somewhat of a merit based system.

If you win a lot of games, you play a difficult schedule, if you lose a lot of games, you play an easier schedule...they try and make it fair for all the teams.

... the NFL is not about "fair", it's about revenues... the whole system is set up to interject "parity" among teams to boost revenues from TV receipts, the NFL is NOT about football, it's a mass market, mass media driven venue for deriving dollars from misguided fans who spend billions to watch (mostly) listless, overpaid athletes showboat and dance for making routine plays... and the incompetent city and state officials who blindly subsidize these privately-owned businesses to guarantee their inflated profits... the NFL (as well as all other professional leagues) is the absolute worst influence to ever be foisted on a gullible and uninformed public...

nonews, I like you and your posts, your witt is both scathing and humerous at the same time...I tend to disagree with you...the NFL is a business...but the athletes do care, and they do go out and work...I am a cowboys fan and only a cowboys fan, but over the last few years I have taken part in fantasy football, which really is a lot of fun, and makes you watch all the games, maybe you could look in to it or something.

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for a response on why the MB System doesnt work...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Ego, I'll try to answer. This plan eventually leads to a classification which will be dominated by Red Boiling Springs, Union County, Claiborne County, etc. I'm all for a classification that has Maryville, Riverdale, MBA, etc., in it... but what happens to the doormats?

Also, if South Pittsburg wins several titles in a short time, should a school with an actual enrollment around 200 be placed in a class with schools with an actual enrollment of 2000?