Metal Cleats in High School

sballpop64

Actually, USFA, ASA, AFA, USSSA, and Triple crown and all other girls softball organizations do not allow now and will not allow next summer girls to wear metal spikes. The reason is that the medical doctors do not support the wearing of metal in middle or high school deeming them as dangerous. There are studies that have found female athletes to be far more susceptible to twisting injuries than their male counterparts. Not because girls are "inferior", but there are certain physical attributes that are just facts of nature- thinner ligaments, less muscular support and a greater angle between the femur and tibia which creates more torque in the joints. Most of these injuries were of the "plant and turn" variety, where the player's foot plants in the turf and the leg continues to twist around.

If High school girls wear cleats that provide more "bite", might that lead to more cases of these "plant and turn" type injuries? Also it is for this very reason three states have already banned them for use in middle and high school softball.

Excellent, excellent post!

Much has been said about technique and that argument has merit, but the young lady that signed with UT from Riverdale that has the "NATIONAL" single season strikeout record and broke her ankle has had to have been coached on the correct technique, you don't get to that level without good coaching.

Somehow, I think Cat was being recruited for her pitching ability. It is highly doubtful she has ever, ever been shown proper sliding technique.

However, you have sold me. Get rid of the metal cleats in high school softball.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the young lady that signed with UT from Riverdale that has the "NATIONAL" single season strikeout record and broke her ankle has had to have been coached on the correct technique, you don't get to that level without good coaching.

she said herself that she tried to stop in the middle of her slide the fact that she was wearing metal cleats had little to do with it.

she said herself that she tried to stop in the middle of her slide the fact that she was wearing metal cleats had little to do with it.

Metal cleats had everything to do with Cat's injury. She has been sliding and doing pop up slides in her plastic ringors since she was 8. I feel her coaches have been good. You adapt your game according to the equipment you use and have grown up using. Metal cleats respond in a different way than plastic or rubber cleats.

Metal cleats had everything to do with Cat's injury. She has been sliding and doing pop up slides in her plastic ringors since she was 8. I feel her coaches have been good. You adapt your game according to the equipment you use and have grown up using. Metal cleats respond in a different way than plastic or rubber cleats.

This is what I was trying to say about Cat. Even though her recruitment was due to pitching, you don't get to as high a level as she has without proper coaching and you would think that would include all aspects of the game. Any girls parents and coaches that have just gotten their girl to sign with a school as big as UT would not allow her to bat, run and slide if she couldn't do it and jeopardize her career. If you don't think metal had anything to do with her injury you should look at the quotes from her coach in the news papers i.e. "he liked them until the injury". As I had said earlier we lost our two top catchers due to start and stop injuries in the same tournament. One tore her ACL and MCL trying to stop and her cleat allowed "NO" forgiveness and something had to give, unfortunately it was her knee. This girl was yet unsigned and may have ended her hopes as she is a senior. She was playing third for us because she was the best thirdbaseman we had.If not for that she would have been our starting catcher and she was our clean up hitter, batting somewhere close to .400 for the year with several schools looking at her. This injury had "NOTHING" to do with technique because she simply trying to stop. Lost our other catcher in the same type of senerio the next game with what the tournament trainer thought was a broken ankle. Fortunately she has recovered and she is back.

she wasn't doing a pop up slide she was trying to stop in the middle of her slide

OK , I guess I dont know. I am completely clueless about the kid and the situation. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

So what secret technique is there to be taught when stopping? The metal cleats have no forgiveness as do rubber cleats that is why girls are getting injured with them, not some BS about technique.

I guess what it comes down to is...wear them at your own risk. If you don't want to wear them...don't.

I've seen a slew of college games. A large majority of college players wear them. I didn't even think about it.

I didn't see anyone get cleated badly...not one time.

So what secret technique is there to be taught when stopping? The metal cleats have no forgiveness as do rubber cleats that is why girls are getting injured with them, not some BS about technique.

Just curious, but when you want to stop, should there be any forgiveness?

Usually, when I want to stop, I want to stop.

And just for the record, metal cleats will slide similar to rubber on rock hard infields.

Get rid of the metal. The transition really shouldn't be that difficult, but apparently it is. Get rid of 'em.

Just curious, but when you want to stop, should there be any forgiveness?

Usually, when I want to stop, I want to stop.

And just for the record, metal cleats will slide similar to rubber on rock hard infields.

Get rid of the metal. The transition really shouldn't be that difficult, but apparently it is. Get rid of 'em.

Just curious, but when you want to stop, should there be any forgiveness? A: If you don't mind broken ankles and torn tendons the answer is no. You apparently have never worn metal cleats if you think they don't grip better in the dirt. By the way you baseball fanatics, What do the pros wear? Uh! Turf shoes, grass or turf, infield or out!

Just curious, but when you want to stop, should there be any forgiveness? A: If you don't mind broken ankles and torn tendons the answer is no. You apparently have never worn metal cleats if you think they don't grip better in the dirt. By the way you baseball fanatics, What do the pros wear? Uh! Turf shoes, grass or turf, infield or out!

Yeah, I have spent a little time in metal cleats.

Let's see, Middle school, High school, Junior College and D1 college.

Check your sources for the pros. I'll give you turf shoes for turf, but for grass? No Way.

And finally, I'm on your side JC, ban the metal cleats for the girls. They must not be built for them. Leave them for the boys to wear.

Yeah, I have spent a little time in metal cleats.

Let's see, Middle school, High school, Junior College and D1 college.

Check your sources for the pros. I'll give you turf shoes for turf, but for grass? No Way.

And finally, I'm on your side JC, ban the metal cleats for the girls. They must not be built for them. Leave them for the boys to wear.

Agreed, girls are just not built for them.