Metal Cleats in High School

sballpop64

You are correct, most high school teams require the girls to wear the same shoes. I doubt very seriously if the coach cares what kind of cleat is on the shoe as long as the shoe is the same brand and color.

I did read it. There is no way, absolutely no way the cleat penetrated the base, no way.

I agree catsbacker it does seem hard to believe that the cleats penetrated the bag, but several newspapers have reported that way,

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree catsbacker it does seem hard to believe that the cleats penetrated the bag, but several newspapers have reported that way,

Someone said it is a choice to wear metal but I guess what is wrong is many of the girls and their parents dont know the dangers until someone close to them does get hurt. Cat isnt the best slider in the world but I would put her above about 75% of the high school crowd and she got hurt. She has been sliding the same way and doing the same things in plastic without even a scatch on the basepaths. Her first slide EVER in metal and pow. There you have it. Coach blamed the cleats and so do I and so does Cat. Her cleats stuck in the bag and she didnt. Cat and her team and coach opted to wear metal. I cant blame anyone but what about all the girls, coaches and teams that didnt opt to wear metal that are getting sliced up by teams they are playing. In one of our first scrimmages a Father Ryan player got cut by one of our sliders. The father Ryan girl wasnt wearing metal. A girl in Texas had her face slit up at the plate in a play. a girl in Alabama had 40 stiches in her leg. These are YOUNG girls, people. They dont want to walk around with scars like these . Check this picture out:

This kid wasnt wearing metal either. She is going to have that scar for the rest of her life as is the kid from Texas and Alabama and many, many others. Cat has a matched set from the Dr fixing her ankle. We DONT need metal cleats for softball. I know girls are athletic enough to wear them, but why do they need too? Just because baseball does? That is a dumb reason. If one good thing comes from Cat being hurt , it is the satisfaction from the fact when she got hurt a whole lot of young girls and their parents put their metal cleats up and a whole lot of coaches across the country became VERY aware of the dangers.

Someone said it is a choice to wear metal but I guess what is wrong is many of the girls and their parents dont know the dangers until someone close to them does get hurt. Cat isnt the best slider in the world but I would put her above about 75% of the high school crowd and she got hurt. She has been sliding the same way and doing the same things in plastic without even a scatch on the basepaths. Her first slide EVER in metal and pow. There you have it. Coach blamed the cleats and so do I and so does Cat. Her cleats stuck in the bag and she didnt. Cat and her team and coach opted to wear metal. I cant blame anyone but what about all the girls, coaches and teams that didnt opt to wear metal that are getting sliced up by teams they are playing. In one of our first scrimmages a Father Ryan player got cut by one of our sliders. The father Ryan girl wasnt wearing metal. A girl in Texas had her face slit up at the plate in a play. a girl in Alabama had 40 stiches in her leg. These are YOUNG girls, people. They dont want to walk around with scars like these . Check this picture out:

This kid wasnt wearing metal either. She is going to have that scar for the rest of her life as is the kid from Texas and Alabama and many, many others. Cat has a matched set from the Dr fixing her ankle. We DONT need metal cleats for softball. I know girls are athletic enough to wear them, but why do they need too? Just because baseball does? That is a dumb reason. If one good thing comes from Cat being hurt , it is the satisfaction from the fact when she got hurt a whole lot of young girls and their parents put their metal cleats up and a whole lot of coaches across the country became VERY aware of the dangers.

Maryland High School Softball and Metal Cleats News Bulletin

The MPSSAA has issued a statement concerning metal cleats and high school softball. Please be advised of the following.

Concerning metal cleats for softball we would like our athletic directors and coaches to be proactive and notify non- MPSSAA member schools on their schedule of our decision not to allow metal cleats well in advance of their game when they are the host. The softball committee will be asked to help in disseminating this information to the various regions of the State.

It is likely that most players have a pair of non-metal cleat shoes that they could wear if given a timely notice.

In the event a non-member school shows up to play with metal cleats, the determination to play (or not) should be made by the game management (athletic director, coach, etc.), hopefully in concert with the other team. Since NFHS rules allow the metal cleats, the umpires should not be at jeopardy regardless of the final decision to play or not.

The issue of games involving non-public in-state schools playing MPSSAA schools should be handled in the same manner. However, the Standards of Competition require them to use NFHS rules and metal cleats are allowed under NFHS rules. Again, we would suggest that athletic directors and coaches be aware of this issue and make proactive contacts with their future opponents. The umpires should not be put in the middle if the schools can not agree.

When/if our schools travel out-of-state or to a non-public school, we would suggest they find out in advance what their position is on metal cleats. Again, the ""when in Rome"" rule would apply and they would have to make a school decision whether to play the game.

Maryland High School Softball and Metal Cleats News Bulletin

The MPSSAA has issued a statement concerning metal cleats and high school softball. Please be advised of the following.

Concerning metal cleats for softball we would like our athletic directors and coaches to be proactive and notify non- MPSSAA member schools on their schedule of our decision not to allow metal cleats well in advance of their game when they are the host. The softball committee will be asked to help in disseminating this information to the various regions of the State.

It is likely that most players have a pair of non-metal cleat shoes that they could wear if given a timely notice.

In the event a non-member school shows up to play with metal cleats, the determination to play (or not) should be made by the game management (athletic director, coach, etc.), hopefully in concert with the other team. Since NFHS rules allow the metal cleats, the umpires should not be at jeopardy regardless of the final decision to play or not.

The issue of games involving non-public in-state schools playing MPSSAA schools should be handled in the same manner. However, the Standards of Competition require them to use NFHS rules and metal cleats are allowed under NFHS rules. Again, we would suggest that athletic directors and coaches be aware of this issue and make proactive contacts with their future opponents. The umpires should not be put in the middle if the schools can not agree.

When/if our schools travel out-of-state or to a non-public school, we would suggest they find out in advance what their position is on metal cleats. Again, the ""when in Rome"" rule would apply and they would have to make a school decision whether to play the game.

University of Evansville infielder Cassey Kemna knows exactly what it feels like to get spiked. "I didn't get out of the way fast enough. We were turning a double play and she ran into the side of my leg. 18 stitches..8 inside..10 outside."

That battle scar in a game with Indiana University last year is part of sports at the college level. Softball and baseball players wear metal spikes.

Now, Indiana high school teams have been given the OK to go from plastic to metal. UE coach Gwen Lewis couldn't believe the change was approved. "When I heard they were doing it at the high school level, I was shocked to tell you the truth."

This is exactly why we don't need mwtal in high school. Imagine this is your child, and all you get to here is about sliding correctly.The point I have been trying to make is that these are adolesants, children that will bear these scars for life. GOOD POST SWINGAWAY

The question of more severe and frequent injuries with the use of metal spikes in HS ball, softball is a no brainer, YES of course there will be more injuries and more severe injuries, and YES there will be a higher incidence than in male athletes using metal spikes, please consider the following.

1. It is a fact that metal spikes will provide more traction, improved gripping of turf and infield surfaces, and the ability to cut sharper angles, it will allow pitchers to push off harder, all good things, but inherently the very reason for more injuries. With this improved grip and traction will come additional injuries from that grip and traction. Will there be a difference between injuries in baseball and injuries in softball? Don't take my word for it.......

"The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery" 2003

"Gender Differences in Muscular Protection of the Knee in Torsion in Size Matched Athletes"

Background: Female athletes who participate in sports involving jumping and cutting maneuvers are up to eight times more likely to sustain a rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament than are men participating in the same sports. We tested the hypothesis that healthy young women are able to volitionally increase the apparent torsional stiffness of the knee, by maximally activating the knee muscles, significantly less than are size-matched men participating in the same type of sport.

Conclusions: The collegiate female athletes involved in high-risk sports exhibited less muscular protection of the knee ligaments during external loading of the knee than did size and sport-matched male athletes.

Clinical Relevance: Improving active muscle protection of the knee during training and rehabilitation might help to decrease rates of knee injury.

I don't believe it would be a stretch to futher hypothesize that any equipment that would cause greater stress and torsion in the knee joint would further increase incidence of this type of injury.

2. The American Council of Pediatric Sport Medicine, recommends that young athletes when first wearing metal spikes be introduced to them and the differences in grip and footing, citing a moderately high incidence of lower leg injuries reported in novice players. It would follow that we can expect a higher than normal incidence of injuries, not caused by poor technique or mechanics but simply by not being used to the different performance of metal spikes over molded spikes. Of course one woud expect this to reduce with time, but remember our best players will switch back to molded spikes this summer.

3. Not enough has been mentioned here regarding the fact that there will be a number of stitches used to close spike wounds during this HS season, although I have seen it improve in recent years, the ignorant practice of teaching girls to block bases and take tag throws on top of the base with the introduction of metal spikes will take the contusions and scrapes caused by molded spikes and convert them to punture wounds and slashes. Hopefully the introduction of metal spikes will cause these "blood and guts" old baseball dads/coaches to review what they are teaching, for my part we have been teaching for many years our girls to take a corner of the bag, swipe a tag, get out of there, and look for your next play, whenever possible, I think most would agree, with the change in the obstruction rules and the time we spend developing players, having players injured in this way is a waste, unfortunately girls instructed to "block the base" are going to be playing HS ball.......nuff said!

In closing I must pose a further question, in terms of "risk and reward", yes the dedicated player that intends on playing in college will at that time play in metal spikes, doesn't it make more sense that metal spikes be introduced to "A" level summer teams rather than HS teams in many cases made up of more players that are not serious about playing in college, and in some case made up of players that take their glove out in January put it away in June or July and don't think about playing the game again. My ultimate question is......does the performance enhancement and introduction of metal spikes to a minority of players that are dedicated and accomplished enough to benefit from it justify the clear evidence that there will be a higher incidence of injury with the introduction, and how many years will our girls live on the "bleeding edge" of this advance, and given the serendipitous nature of the NFHS and our own OHSAA, will these injuries be useless if metal spikes are outlawed in a year or two, which is entirely possible as the data mounts, who knows, but I guess most anyone can see where I clearly stand.

Great discussion and a classic example of what makes this type of forum so valuable.

WHAT are they not being taught?!? Sliding is sliding, whether you are wearing steel, plastic or hiking boots! This is really starting to get hilarious!

Now they need to be taught how to "field" differently in metal cleats...................PLEASE...........explain that one to me.

I think the "field" reference may be related to tagging on slide plays.

Some infielders have either been taught or have learned to always put their leg down in

front of the base on a tag play, to block the runner from the bag.

With the use of metal cleats, this needs to change to straddling the bag and using the sweep tag

as the baseball players do.

If not, many softball players are going to have scars on their legs, and I think that is very unfortunate.

I think that's it. Tagging techniques have to be taught differently to avoid those ugly scars on your skins.

I think female athletes in basketball shoes are 8 times more likely to tear knee ligaments than their male counterparts. If metal spikes enhance that chance, then there's something you can hang your hat on. At least it's scientifically proven. Torn ACL's aren't what everybody's showing though. They are showing scars from being spiked. You get those by laying your leg in front of the base to prevent the baserunner from reaching the bag before you apply the tag. That's improper technique in a game with metal cleats.

I think I would agree that the summer travel team leagues might be a better place for these cleats to be introduced. There are probably more girls in that league that need the work in steel and the coaching overall is probably improved over your average high school coach.

JC#1, I hate to say it, but the guys throwing 90 are signing with Vanderbilt these days. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

I think that's it. Tagging techniques have to be taught differently to avoid those ugly scars on your skins.

I think female athletes in basketball shoes are 8 times more likely to tear knee ligaments than their male counterparts. If metal spikes enhance that chance, then there's something you can hang your hat on. At least it's scientifically proven. Torn ACL's aren't what everybody's showing though. They are showing scars from being spiked. You get those by laying your leg in front of the base to prevent the baserunner from reaching the bag before you apply the tag. That's improper technique in a game with metal cleats.

I think I would agree that the summer travel team leagues might be a better place for these cleats to be introduced. There are probably more girls in that league that need the work in steel and the coaching overall is probably improved over your average high school coach.

JC#1, I hate to say it, but the guys throwing 90 are signing with Vanderbilt these days. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

JCHS's senior catcher hung a cleat trying to stop in a run down(not sliding). Result. Torn ACL! out for season and may have ended her career as she was being looked at by several colleges and was not yet signed. Also Jchs's other catcher trying to stop while contemplating stealing third on a passed ball. Result. Possible broken ankle! Is anyone getting the picture yet! This happened in a tournament all in one day!

More girls tear their ACL's playing basketball than their male counterparts. Starting and stopping and jumping is more of an issue because of the difference in bone structure. If metal cleats increase these sort of injuries, don't wear them.

ACL injuries

Yep, I read the 'cleat type' as a contributing factor. That doesn't account for women soccer players being 8 times more at risk than male soccer players or female basketball players being 3 times more at risk than their male counterparts. If you're a female athlete, you are more likely to suffer an ACL tear than the guys are.........period.

I have heard that TSSAA is allowing the use of metal cleats in softball this year. Will this cause alot of unnecessary injuries? Does the good outweigh the bad? I believe there will be more injuries as the result of sliding into the bases and getting the cleats caught in the ground and injuring an ankle or knee outweigh the benefits of getting more traction. How do you feel?

If they are going to wear them at the next level, get used to them now. Baseball has been doing it for years. By this level they are playing regulation distances, why not plaqy by as many of the same rules as we can to get our girls better prepared for the next level.