Metal Cleats in High School

sballpop64

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with rubber cleats she would have still hurt her ankle.

I have been around many ballparks over the years, and on many occasions, have seen

partial or whole rubber cleats in the dirt, that have been torn off a player's shoes.

But anyone would be hard pressed to find a metal cleat that has been torn from the shoe!

Even with rubber cleats she would have still hurt her ankle.

Would have or could have? They are two completetly different things. I have been around softball for twenty -seven years and have never seen the injuries like I have this year since the introduction of metal cleats in girls softball.

Would have or could have? They are two completetly different things. I have been around softball for twenty -seven years and have never seen the injuries like I have this year since the introduction of metal cleats in girls softball.

Have you personally seen injuries...or have you read about them on here?

Just curious, but when you want to stop, should there be any forgiveness? A: If you don't mind broken ankles and torn tendons the answer is no. You apparently have never worn metal cleats if you think they don't grip better in the dirt. By the way you baseball fanatics, What do the pros wear? Uh! Turf shoes, grass or turf, infield or out!

Not true. Turf shoes are worn on artificial surfaces and metal cleats are worn on natural grass fields. There's also not much in the way of dirt on turf fields, just cutouts at the bases and mound.

These injurys have been happening but we haven't had something to blame it on. We had our shortstop go out with a torn ACL this year before the start of the season. Oh, she had on tennis shoes in the gym. These shoes are not manidatory so you wear them at your own risk.

I agree. Just give the players time to get use to the cleats. They will learn how the cleats don't give as much and the injuries ya'll are blameing on the cleats won't happen as much. Not that there have been that many in Tennessee anyways

Have you personally seen injuries...or have you read about them on here?

If you had been reading all of these posts instead of just the last one and decided to put your two cents worth in you would have seen that I have posted the fact that our high school team has lost two players due start and stop type injuries due to metal cleats. You can say what you want about them and how many injuries have happened this year compared to other years, but "METAL CLEATS INCREASE SEVERE INJURIES" thats why the trained medical professionals say they should not be used on middle and high school girls. If you question me seeing ball being played, I would have to question how much you have seen. I have coached softball for 27 years from rec to college exsposure in tournaments in almost every state in the south. I am not beating on my chest, just suggesting that you may not be the only so-called "expert" on softball. My question for TSSAA would be why do you constitute a rule that would allow something everyone would admit is "more" dangerous while not instituting rules that would make the sport more safe (i.e. double first base). Metal cleats are not optional for athletes whose coach requires the entire team to wear the same cleat. NO OTHER SANCTIONING BODY IN YOUTH SPORTS ALLOWS METAL CLEATS FOR SOFTBALL, NOT EVEN COLLEGE EXSPOSURE SANCTIONING BODIES WHERE MOST KIDS GET RECRUITED FROM. Hmmmm! I wonder why? Probably because they have studied it instead of just stating their opinion and have seen the increase in major injuries wouldn't you think. If you consdier the athlete before the sport safety will come first. Its that simple!

Put the blame where it belongs then.

BLAME YOUR COACHES!

I agree and we have voiced our opinions, but this still does not approach the fact that TSSAA does nothing to improve safety issues. And it is not just our coaches the majority of high schools require their athletes in all sports to wear the same shoes. A team wearing non-metal cleats playing teams wearing them are at a distinct disadvantage, look at the situation in Florida where the short stop was cleated in the face on a slide with cleats up. A team wearing non-metal becomes a target when no retaliation "can" be made.

I agree and we have voiced our opinions, but this still does not approach the fact that TSSAA does nothing to improve safety issues. And it is not just our coaches the majority of high schools require their athletes in all sports to wear the same shoes. A team wearing non-metal cleats playing teams wearing them are at a distinct disadvantage, look at the situation in Florida where the short stop was cleated in the face on a slide with cleats up. A team wearing non-metal becomes a target when no retaliation "can" be made.

You've convinced me since this thread started that you are correct, girls shouldn't wear metal cleats in high school.

You play under rules brought about by the NFHS. TSSAA chooses to play under these rules, also. No where in the NFHS rules set does it say you have to wear metal cleats. This is a decision made by your coaches and only by your coaches. BLAME YOUR COACHES, not the NFHS or the TSSAA.

However, coaches, in my experience, don't require the EXACT same shoe for their team, just a shoe that is the same color and brand. If that is not correct, then I would have another issue with my coach. The girls can wear the same shoe, the exact same shoe, with a rubber cleat.

You also can't say metal cleats offer a distinct disadvantage. Advantages come from weighing the plusses and minues of any issue and deciding what to do. If you decide not to wear metal cleats, you have determined that this is obviously not a disadvantage to your team or you wouldn't have made the decision you made.

And the thing about the girl that got cleated in the face, there is already a rule against sliding like this and I have never, ever heard of retaliation for a player getting cleated.