Double Elimination

ru4mocs

ok, I've been reading this post for awhile, and I had the opportunity to talk to a few folks this past weekend about this idea, so let me throw my 2 cents into this discussion.

The only real issue that exists, from TSSAA's perspective is this: $$$$$$$$$

Find a way to run a double elimination tournament without it costing TSSAA any additional money then you might have their attention and find the Board of Control more receptive. We know that we can find the time in the current way the tournament is run to fit in the additonal matches. An additional 210 matches which would add approximately 4 to 4.5 hours to the total tournament time has been shown to be able to work. But where does the money come from to pay the Ref's and the Trainers for their time.

Let me throw out a suggestion. there were 104 schools participating in the D1 tournament this past weekend, if each coach were asked if they would be willing to pay an additional $50 to $100 to TSSAA specifically to be able to have a double elimination tournament, what do you think the response rate would be?? I would guess that we would have enough additional funds to cover the additional costs that TSSAA would incur for a double elimination tournament.

And while I'm on the idea of increasing the revenues that this tournament draws, how about adding a few more vendors in the arena. Example: if you're going to confiscate all the food and gatorade/powerade that the wrestlers are bringing into the arena, then have someone selling those items in the arena. There was no vendor selling power bars/powerade/health food anywhere in that arena. Here we are trying to get kids to eat healthy all year, (promoting safe weight loss and healthful living styles) and we come to the biggest tournament of the year and we have NO healthy food ANYWHERE IN THE BUILDING!!!! HOW STUPID IS THAT!!!!

And while we're at it, bring vendors in that sell wrestling equipment: singlets, shoes, workout gear; and how about some other vendors that those of us who go to national tournaments know will be at every national tournament that exists. These folks pay a fee to set up at a tournament, so why don't we MARKET this tournament like other big tournaments do.

If TSSAA needs to see more revenues, surely we can come up with ideas to increase the revenues for the state tournament.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, I've been reading this post for awhile, and I had the opportunity to talk to a few folks this past weekend about this idea, so let me throw my 2 cents into this discussion.

Find a way to run a double elimination tournament without it costing TSSAA any additional money then you might have their attention and find the Board of Control more receptive. We know that we can find the time in the current way the tournament is run to fit in the additonal matches. An additional 210 matches which would add approximately 4 to 4.5 hours to the total tournament time has been shown to be able to work. But where does the money come from to pay the Ref's and the Trainers for their time.

Let me throw out a suggestion. there were 104 schools participating in the D1 tournament this past weekend, if each coach were asked if they would be willing to pay an additional $50 to $100 to TSSAA specifically to be able to have a double elimination tournament, what do you think the response rate would be?? I would guess that we would have enough additional funds to cover the additional costs that TSSAA would incur for a double elimination tournament.

And while I'm on the idea of increasing the revenues that this tournament draws, how about adding a few more vendors in the arena. Example: if you're going to confiscate all the food and gatorade/powerade that the wrestlers are bringing into the arena, then have someone selling those items in the arena. There was no vendor selling power bars/powerade/health food anywhere in that arena. Here we are trying to get kids to eat healthy all year, (promoting safe weight loss and healthful living styles) and we come to the biggest tournament of the year and we have NO healthy food ANYWHERE IN THE BUILDING!!!! HOW STUPID IS THAT!!!!

And while we're at it, bring vendors in that sell wrestling equipment: singlets, shoes, workout gear; and how about some other vendors that those of us who go to national tournaments know will be at every national tournament that exists. These folks pay a fee to set up at a tournament, so why don't we MARKET this tournament like other big tournaments do.

If TSSAA needs to see more revenues, surely we can come up with ideas to increase the revenues for the state tournament.

Great Ideals! I didn't know you were that smart. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Good Luck with the summer circut!

Great points and suggestions.

One more item illustrating TSSAA's indifference to wrestlers.

There was NO place for wrestlers to warm up. Friday night was the worst, mats cleared at 1545 and many of the heavier weights did not get to wrestle until after 1800. Sitting around for 2-3 hours after last warming up and having to go out on the mat cold is hardly a recipe for success. It is also dangerous. Actually there was a fine area that could have been used to let the athletes warm up but some imbecile made the decision to put it off limits. It seems a few middle school kids who were not competing made a mess out of the UTC practice area last year and TSSAA made the couragous call this year just to shut it down. Plenty of manpower to perform everything short of a cavity search in ferretting out such revenue stealing contraband as an athlete's power bars or favorite sports drink but posting someone in the practice area to keep non competitors out and allow those wanting to warm up in , wasn't considered. Why ?

These are the members of the TSSAA board of Control. Our fate is in their hands at all times.

First Athletic District - Mike Reed, Morristown West High School, Morristown (President) - Term Expires December, 2007

Second Athletic District - Lynn Brown, Maryville High School, Maryville - Term Expires December, 2008

Third Athletic District - Tommy Layne, Sequatchie Co. High School, Dunlap - Term Expires December, 2009

Fourth Athletic District - Jerry Mathis, Tullahoma High School, Tullahoma - Term Expires December, 2009

Fifth Athletic District - Mike Tribue, McGavock High School, Nashville - Term Expires December, 2008

Sixth Athletic District - Bryan True, Summertown High School, Summertown - Term Expires December, 2007

Seventh Athletic District - Fred Kessler, Bolivar Central High School, Bolivar - (Vice President) -

Term Expires December, 2007

Eighth Athletic District - Sam Miles, Dyersburg High School, Dyersburg - Term Expires December, 2008

Ninth Athletic District - Ike White, Hamilton High School, Memphis -

Term Expires December, 2009

4 out of 9 Board of Control members are from wrestling schools. Get on the phones. Let the email campaign begin.

Here they are with more information

Mike Reed -- Not at Morristown West anymore.

Lynn Brown -- Assistant Principal -- Maryville HS -- 825 Lawrence Ave. Maryville, TN 37803 -- 865-982-1132 865-681-2225 865-681-2272

Tommy Layne -- Principal -- Sequatchie County HS -- 523 Highway 28 South Dunlap, TN 37327 -- 423-949-2154 -- sequatchie@bledsoe.net

Jerry Mathis -- Athletic Director -- Tullahoma HS -- 1011 N. Jackson St. Tullahoma, TN 37388 -- 931-454-2625

Mike Tribue -- Executive Principal -- McGavock HS -- 3150 McGavock PK, Nashville, TN 37214 -- 615-885-8850

Bryan True -- Principal -- Summertown HS -- P.O. Box 88 Summertown, TN 38483 -- 931-964-3539

Fred Kessler -- Principal -- Central HS -- 313 Harris St. Bolivar, TN 38008 -- 731-658-31-51 -- kesslerf@k12tn.net

Sam Miles -- Principal -- Dyersburg HS -- 125 Highway 51 Bypass Dyersburg, TN 38024 -- 731-286-3630

Ike White -- Principal -- Hamilton HS -- 1363 Person Avenue Memphis, TN 38106 -- 901-416-7838

Has anyone asked TSSAA what it would take to make the tournament

dbl. elim.? Every year this subject is brought up and nothing changes.

Who wants to find out and head this thing? Heck, with all the time and

money we spend getting these kids ready, 10 to 20 dollars a kid is

a bargin to help with the extra ref/trainer expense.

Has anyone asked TSSAA what it would take to make the tournament

dbl. elim.? Every year this subject is brought up and nothing changes.

Who wants to find out and head this thing? Heck, with all the time and

money we spend getting these kids ready, 10 to 20 dollars a kid is

a bargin to help with the extra ref/trainer expense.

We had Ronnie Carter speak to our Rotary Club in Tullahoma today and he responded to the double elimination question by it could only occur with 16 man brackets. Also TSSAA intends to keep D1 and D2 together and not lengthen the State Tourney even by 4 hours at the beginning of the tournament. The only way to approach a smaller bracket would be through a substate or sectionals. Even with this information he does not sound too interested in changing the format.

We had Ronnie Carter speak to our Rotary Club in Tullahoma today and he responded to the double elimination question by it could only occur with 16 man brackets. Also TSSAA intends to keep D1 and D2 together and not lengthen the State Tourney even by 4 hours at the beginning of the tournament. The only way to approach a smaller bracket would be through a substate or sectionals. Even with this information he does not sound too interested in changing the format.

Tell me again who it is the T$$AA represents ? 100% of coaches, athletes, and parents want the change to double elimination with the 32 man bracket ( D-1 already has too many good wreslters sitting at home during states to move to a smaller bracket ). They are willing to pay for it and still it is dismissed out of hand. What would it take for wrestling to secede from this group who cares so little for the sport?