Baylor and Ryan tie for 1st

wosbodog

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok first of all i thought everything went great all the kids wrestled very hard. And it was a great weekend and a battle between Ryan and Baylor, But did any one notice after the 285 from Ryan got done with his gold metal match and won,he walked off mat with head down coaches kinda slaped hands. This kid won a state gold medal i think it was his second time,but way to much pressure on team point and no one seemed to care he was the champ. Hats off to him he wrestled hard and needs to have his head high and the coaches need to be as excited for him as they were for all there other kids. He knew at the end what he needed to do to win for the team and tryed very hard but it did not happen,but he is the CHAMP!!!!!!!!

Ok first of all i thought everything went great all the kids wrestled very hard. And it was a great weekend and a battle between Ryan and Baylor, But did any one notice after the 285 from Ryan got done with his gold metal match and won,he walked off mat with head down coaches kinda slaped hands. This kid won a state gold medal i think it was his second time,but way to much pressure on team point and no one seemed to care he was the champ. Hats off to him he wrestled hard and needs to have his head high and the coaches need to be as excited for him as they were for all there other kids. He knew at the end what he needed to do to win for the team and tryed very hard but it did not happen,but he is the CHAMP!!!!!!!!

Great point...a similar thing happened in '99 when Baylor defeated Father Ryan by 1/2 point. Ryan's 215 lber won his second state championship (I think) but failed to get the pin. Neither team had a HW in the finals. I've never seen a state champion so disappointed. It was a real shame.

What a great moment when the Baylor and Ryan kids all got together for a championship picture. I'm so glad the kids keep it all in perspective.

Great point...a similar thing happened in '99 when Baylor defeated Father Ryan by 1/2 point. Ryan's 215 lber won his second state championship (I think) but failed to get the pin. Neither team had a HW in the finals. I've never seen a state champion so disappointed. It was a real shame.

What a great moment when the Baylor and Ryan kids all got together for a championship picture. I'm so glad the kids keep it all in perspective.

Herm- I think you and Shooter both have great posts on this topic. Both teams are great, and full of great kids. All warriors, and I'm sure all of them wanted a clear win. Nevertheless; they all made history and since it is an individual tournament they all can be proud of their personal victories.

This board is a lot of fun when sometimes we look at different perspectives, less the venomous stuff. I love all these kids that 'strap it on' and do battle, but I also enjoy the healthy rivalry that is deep rooted between the teams.

Best of luck to both teams in 2009

CC

It is a miserable situation that the Ryan HVY hung his head after the finals. This brings up the topic of whether or not to even keep team scores at the Individual tournament. I know that Indiana and a few other states have gone to a system eliminating the Traditional Tournament team scoring . I personally dont like it because of the tradition in TN. However, you hate to see this happen. I would wager that the Ryan HVY is over it by now and very happy with the gold medal around his neck again.

As far as my ties go, I will say that I have worked with kids from both ends of the state and have actually worked with a few Baylor kids as well. I am for "good" wrestling.

It is a miserable situation that the Ryan HVY hung his head after the finals. This brings up the topic of whether or not to even keep team scores at the Individual tournament. I know that Indiana and a few other states have gone to a system eliminating the Traditional Tournament team scoring . I personally dont like it because of the tradition in TN. However, you hate to see this happen. I would wager that the Ryan HVY is over it by now and very happy with the gold medal around his neck again.

As far as my ties go, I will say that I have worked with kids from both ends of the state and have actually worked with a few Baylor kids as well. I am for "good" wrestling.

The IHSAA (Indiana) sponsors the trophy for the Dual Tournament Champion and the Coaches Association awards a team trophy for the Individual tournament, or at least they use too, when I coached there 10+ years ago.

The IHSAA (Indiana) sponsors the trophy for the Dual Tournament Champion and the Coaches Association awards a team trophy for the Individual tournament, or at least they use too, when I coached there 10+ years ago.

There is no shame in giving it your best effort... As a Father Ryan alum, I am proud of BOTH teams and the way they wrestled in this tournament...It is quite amazing to think that after all of the matches and twist and turns of each match, that both squads scored an equal number of points...I`ll never forget that 1999 tournament when the Irish lost by a half a point to Baylor, That one was hard to swallow.. I`d rather lose by 50! In this years tournament, a tie was a fitting finish to the season.

There is no shame in giving it your best effort... As a Father Ryan alum, I am proud of BOTH teams and the way they wrestled in this tournament...It is quite amazing to think that after all of the matches and twist and turns of each match, that both squads scored an equal number of points...I`ll never forget that 1999 tournament when the Irish lost by a half a point to Baylor, That one was hard to swallow.. I`d rather lose by 50! In this years tournament, a tie was a fitting finish to the season.

You, know, as an objective observer, we did notice Mr. Hermann with his head down, I am sure the coaches assured him that each wrestler had the same op...I think it says a lot for him as an individual that he had that reaction, but let us say that any champion worth his salt would feel the same! And it will sink in if it has not, geat work!My opinion is that any competition is great, even if slightly flawed(i.e.no good tiebreaker) as an individual tourney, yet as an aside the team stuff. My thought is enjoy the side bets, add a few..

I'm not folowing your logic. Based on the dual result, which indicates something about "the way the teams line up", why would Baylor be happier with a tie than Ryan?

Regarding important topics on this board, please name one.

I'm sure what he was referring to was the fact that baylor had a pretty good lead going into the last day and Ryan was able to come back. after FR won the two head to head matches there was of course worry from the baylor side and especially when Ryans last 3 were up. there were many missed opportunities for each team to win it outright, probably more on FR's side. so actually baylor was lucky and i'm sure were glad to not have a tiebreaker. but for once lets not bash the other and just say congrats to both teams. if their had been a tie breaker what would've been the criteria to decide? if it were based on champions ryan would've won and if it were based on team pins throughout the tournament i think it was close but FR would take that as well. does anyone know?

I'm sure what he was referring to was the fact that baylor had a pretty good lead going into the last day and Ryan was able to come back. after FR won the two head to head matches there was of course worry from the baylor side and especially when Ryans last 3 were up. there were many missed opportunities for each team to win it outright, probably more on FR's side. so actually baylor was lucky and i'm sure were glad to not have a tiebreaker. but for once lets not bash the other and just say congrats to both teams. if their had been a tie breaker what would've been the criteria to decide? if it were based on champions ryan would've won and if it were based on team pins throughout the tournament i think it was close but FR would take that as well. does anyone know?

In the midst of a paragraph of speculation--utterly unsupported by any actual evidence--that one team was the more deserving than the other, you throw in a "but let's not bash the other and just say congrats to both teams." You should take your own advice.

Intentional or not, you slap both teams in the face. You state the obvious, that there were of course points left on the table by both teams. There are always going to be. But you say it was Ryan's many "missed opportunities" that kept them from winning outright? Seriously? They put four wrestlers in the consolation finals. They won all four. They put six into the championship finals. Only two were favorites. Three were underdogs that had lost to their opponents this season, and the sixth was a toss-up, having gone to overtime against his opponent in the Duals. And five of the six won. On Saturday afternoon Ryan needed to step up and deliver a heroic, nearly best-case scenario and that's exactly what they did, and they deserve all the credit in the world. And you're talking about their "missed opportunities?" Man. You might want to reexamine your standards for success.

And, as far as Baylor's "good luck" goes, the only luck involved in the tournament, i.e. results that were not based on the actions of the participants, were the injury defaults and the initial draws. Both teams lost one wrestler in the consolation semifinals, resulting in sixth place finishes for both. But Baylor's wrestler had a good chance of winning that first match and assuring a fourth place; Ryan's was close to nil, having to face a defending state champion who wound up pinning his way through the consolations. But even if both had lost, in the matches for fifth-place Ryan then would've had to face a wrestler who had beaten him just the day before, while Baylor's would've faced someone he'd easily pinned a few weeks earlier.

As far as the draws go, Baylor had four wrestlers--a second-place finisher, two third-place finishers, and one fourth-place finisher who had to take first-round byes, depriving them of the chance for any bonus points. Ryan had one. Given the closeness of the result, well, let's just say that's pretty unlucky.

So please none of this "Ryan missed too many opportunities to win" and "Baylor was the beneficiary of luck" stuff. DS2001 is exactly right--both teams were superb and the tie was a fitting way to end the season.