Region 3A

WCAballa11

While you never want to critique a program too harshly, is there any program that has failed to meet expectations than Grace? I admire young Mr. McMasters, but with his size and ability, he should have been recruited by ACC schools. In the end, this comes down to coaching. I know that high schools, and particularly Christian private schools, are reluctant to let coaches go, but at some point in time, the direction of the program has to be the responsiblity of the coach. With the talent and loyal fan base Grace has, they should be working on their third straight run at a state title. Instead, they will be watching from the stands once again. Imagine how Carter would have flourished under the coaching at CSAS or Temple. I do not envy the task of the Grace administration, but they are going to have to look at some serious changes in their program, or this time next year, a talented group of Grace players will be sitting in the stands watching the region title game again.

I think that, in the view of the administration, Grace's coach has way too much of what they want in a coach for them to ever consider letting him go. If the #1 priority of the athletic program was to win championships, they would be looking for another coach. But their main goal is to develop Christian athletes and prepare them for a life of service to God. In pursuit of that goal they could not ask for a better coach. Jon is one of the godliest men you'll ever know. He runs his program with class and integrity and brings a lot of respect to his school because of his actions. Besides that, his team has enjoyed pretty good success lately. They're always at or near the top of the region, and Jon puts a team on the floor that the Grace nation always seems to be excited about. Until his team wins it's first championship, Jon is likely to continue to be the object of a lot of criticism, some of it deserved. But as long as his methods stay the same, I think he'll be Grace's coach as long as he wants to be.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that CSAS did not get the normal effort out of its guard play(Cobb 8, McKoy 5, and Hampton wasn't at his best), the win against Grace was even more impressive. Say what you want about Ball, he played like a man last night. Cousin and Foster were huge off the bench. Cousin made some huge shots and Foster had some big points and defensive play.

I agree with dadoffour. Any school that would even consider showing Jon Mattheiss the door ought to be ashamed. He is a better coach than anyone gives him credit for. Its always easier to coach from the bleachers. Yes Grace has talent, or is it potential? Either way I think the players are letting the program down more than the coach. McMasters can't bring it up and pass it to himself.

You need to give this web site up CSAS will lose to grace which everyone beside CSAS fan knows lost to Temple,so your screen name says it all "ghost" or is that Boast you guys are finish for this year and next year Temple will take it all the way to the big house where you guy might not even make it out of the region.I 'll make a beat with you I will not post on this site anymore if CSAS beat Grace. However;if Grace beat CSAS your done on this site.How much do you believe in your team,and I am not even a Grace fan I,m a TTA fan.

i guess you are no longer going to post on coacht since csas did beat grace... open mouth insert foot

i guess you are no longer going to post on coacht since csas did beat grace... open mouth insert foot

Jon Mattheiss is a great, great man to be sure. Wonderful leader and really instills some life lessons in his teams it would seem. However, the men's basketball program at Grace has major issues. Sideline coaching is poor, game strategy is usually poor as well. Also, I think their biggest problem is player development. Their players never seem to improve over the course of their careers. This is usually a major indicator of something be wrong.

Also, I think their biggest problem is player development. Their players never seem to improve over the course of their careers. This is usually a major indicator of something be wrong.

Do you have more than one kid in mind when you make that statement? I've seen several players at Grace show a lot of improvement over the years. A huge example, figuratively and literally, is Shaghnessy. As for the kids that don't improve, I'm sure some of it can be blamed on coaching, but I think the individual personalities of the kids has got more to do with it.

Jon Mattheiss is a great, great man to be sure. Wonderful leader and really instills some life lessons in his teams it would seem. However, the men's basketball program at Grace has major issues. Sideline coaching is poor, game strategy is usually poor as well. Also, I think their biggest problem is player development. Their players never seem to improve over the course of their careers. This is usually a major indicator of something be wrong.

how you define development is one thing that Grace is not in the business of doing but they do provide good programs regardless in improving bball careers as well as life careers.

great game. fuquan great talent, reahces and grabs and had 4 fouls in somewhat limited minutes. patrick is going to be the best player in the region next year. intensity, heart, and talent. carter did not get more than a handful of touches. csas just wanted it more and pulled it out. great team ball won this one.

I disagree. Patrick should be the tallest player in the region next year, but Jeremy Sexton will be the best player in the region next year. In fact, he is the best player in the region this year. Brandon Herman will be a better player next year than Patrick.

I think that caliber of kids playing on the team says a ton about Grace's team and their coach. It is easy to critcize but how do you do it with a straight face when you are talking about one of the top teams in the state? Grace, CSAS, and Temple are all teams that are worthy of going to the state and doing some damage. Grace did not get blown away last night. It was anyone's game and could have too easily gone to Grace.

Congratulations to Grace and their coaches for an excellent season and I am sorry it had to end for you guys last night! I hated to see anyone at the semi-final level lose out of our region.

Everyone gets a pretty good education at the schools in this discussion, so it is best if others lay off attacking the education or accreditation status of Temple, Grace, or CSAS. Just my opinion...

As far as development, I can give a few examples, without being overly critical. These are just high school kids, so I would rather not tear them down needlessly.

1) McMasters- to me he is a little bit more aggressive than four years ago, but that is about it. No real skill improvement to speak of.

2) Nick van Horn- their star from few years ago. Saw him play a few times his sophomore year, then caught him a couple times his senior year. The exact same player in both cases, had never added anything to his game.

Granted they have had some players improve a little bit here and there, but I think that has more to do with individual attitudes and desire than it does with coaching or instruction. Shaughnessy (sp?) will improve, but that is because the kid has tremendous drive and desire, not necessarily because the coaches will sit him down and say "here is what you should be working on this summer."

In contrast, let's look at Temple. Jeremy Sexton has made significant strides in each year he has played. Same could be said for the Skogen brothers and Ryan Wadley. Jeron Williams showed much improvement over his career while he was there.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it.