Forrest Fans Need to Grow Up

bball6199

I am a fan of MTCS girls basketball, and tonight they played the Forrest Rockets and the Lady Rockets controlled the game from start to finish. They are a great team and have a chance to go far in the tournament. Our girls also played well and should do well in the upcoming games, but Forrest beat us fair and square tonight. However, at the end of the game, the parents from Forrest started chanting overrated. Yes thats right the parents, not the students. The parents claimed that our student section was doing the same thing when actually it was there own student section chanting it. This is very disappointing to me considering that it was 40 and 50 year old parents chanting this at teenage girls. This says something about Forrests' fans maturity and integrity. Again i'm not bashing the Lady Rockets or saying they don't deserve the win at all because they are a great team and deserve the victory. I'm just disappointed in how the Lady Rockets parents treated our players.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a fan of MTCS girls basketball, and tonight they played the Forrest Rockets and the Lady Rockets controlled the game from start to finish. They are a great team and have a chance to go far in the tournament. Our girls also played well and should do well in the upcoming games, but Forrest beat us fair and square tonight. However, at the end of the game, the parents from Forrest started chanting overrated. Yes thats right the parents, not the students. The parents claimed that our student section was doing the same thing when actually it was there own student section chanting it. This is very disappointing to me considering that it was 40 and 50 year old parents chanting this at teenage girls. This says something about Forrests' fans maturity and integrity. Again i'm not bashing the Lady Rockets or saying they don't deserve the win at all because they are a great team and deserve the victory. I'm just disappointed in how the Lady Rockets parents treated our players.

What was the score?

69-53 Forrest

I have watched teams from Forrest for several years now. Tonight I saw a side of that program that I have never seen before. I believe they are very talented, but I lost a lot of respect for them because of their lack of class in adversity. I was also shocked to see the fans participate in the way they did. I have always admired their excellent program and have always thought that their talent spoke for itself. Tonight was a different story. So sorry to see it.

This is the second thread to hint at some kind of off the court animosity that is taking place between Forrest and Middle Tennessee Christian. What adversity is Forrest trying to overcome and how does it relate to MTCS? This is the first I have heard of this, so I am a little confused as to what the people at Forrest and MTCS are talking about.

Also, I have never known Forrest fans to be disrespectful, so for them to act in such a way, I can only imagine that it must relate to this underlying theme that keeps being presented in some of these posts, yet no one clearly explains. I would be very shocked if the fans over there acted unsportsmanlike for no apparent reason.

A hand full of parents and the student section does not make up the whole fan/parent/student section of Forrest. There were those there that just wanted to watch a good game between two good teams. Good luck to both teams in Regions.

Do you know the story behind the "overrated" chant?

I was at this game and yes Forrest hands down controlled the game. MTCS never really had a shot. Forrest has set up a great program and is probably going to have a chance to add another ring to the trophy case this year. However, I was very shocked at the end of the game for the adult fans....NOT the student section to begin chanting over rated. 1st off how are we over rated if we were the 2 seed and we were beat by the 1 seed??? Aren't you supposed to lose...hints what an upset is??? Thats just a side thought though. 2nd why are adults(30-60) yr old parents standing up and pumping their fists at our girls as they walk back to the benches for the awards ceremony. What an embarassment to not only Forrest but to how serious some people take these games. At the end of the day... a game is just a game. I really do apologize to our girls for how they were treated and wish it would not have happened. It truly is a shame. Grow up

I was at this game and yes Forrest hands down controlled the game. MTCS never really had a shot. Forrest has set up a great program and is probably going to have a chance to add another ring to the trophy case this year. However, I was very shocked at the end of the game for the adult fans....NOT the student section to begin chanting over rated. 1st off how are we over rated if we were the 2 seed and we were beat by the 1 seed??? Aren't you supposed to lose...hints what an upset is??? Thats just a side thought though. 2nd why are adults(30-60) yr old parents standing up and pumping their fists at our girls as they walk back to the benches for the awards ceremony. What an embarassment to not only Forrest but to how serious some people take these games. At the end of the day... a game is just a game. I really do apologize to our girls for how they were treated and wish it would not have happened. It truly is a shame. Grow up

did my girl shelby nicholson get ot play much tonight and if she did do you remember how she did

A hand full of parents and the student section does not make up the whole fan/parent/student section of Forrest. There were those there that just wanted to watch a good game between two good teams. Good luck to both teams in Regions.

Do you know the story behind the "overrated" chant?

I will take the bait.

The story is.....

A sophmore transfers from Unionville to Shelbyville and then to Forrest where she causes a lot of drama and heartache. When she is confronted about the things that were done and said she can not take the heat and transfers to MTCS (her 4th school in 2 years). The other night at the district games she takes her Forrest t-shirt and with a marker writes OVERRATED all over it. The she and some other MTCS players take a pic of them holding it and send a pic text to the majority of Forrest players. Also, during tonights game she looks at the student section and points at her feet......she has her Forrest shoes on. She also cussed our girls during the whole ball game. That is what got everybody so riled up. The overrated chant was not directed toward the bench of MTCS but a jab at the pic that was sent. All I can say is good luck to MTCS players and coach.

I am a Forrest parent and I was chanting overrated at the end of the game, but I was also chanting Lady Rockets at the end of the game. I was very proud of our girls and the game they came out and played. I also thoroughly have enjoyed watching the high quality games between Forrest and MTCS in the last several years. Over the last few weeks we have had the "drama" everyone has spoken of with one of our players transferring to MTCS ( of course she has the right to do this).....what should not have happened however, is the fact that our girls have been treated like dirt by this very player and others at MTCS,by turning their backs when our kids are introduced, by holding up a Forrest t-shirt marked over rated and having their pictures taken with the shirt at the game and then forwarding this to all the players at Forrest, with our transfer student right there in the mix. I feel MTCS parents should have reined in their kids at this point, about the way they were acting against Forrest. If none of this would have happened, the game most definately would not have had the added chant of "overrated" at the end of the game. In some respects, I agree this is kid stuff and we as parents have the responsibility to uphold good sportsmanship as an example to our children, but I am not sure that a few of us chanting overrated, because we were called overrated, constitutes a huge breach of this responsibility. I believe Forrest players and fans have a reputation for being classy and supporting our girls. I have a rather "loud voice" and pride myself on not being negative and cheering on my team with all my heart.....So I will end this by saying Best Wishes to MTCS as they continue, they are a great team, I hope to meet them again. As always GO LADY ROCKETS!!!!!!!!! Great game girls and also congrats to all the ladies in the District on the All season and All Tournament Teams...Way to go!

One other point I need to make and then I will be quiet ( believe it or not )... I in no way meant that I feel MTCS is "overrated" by my chant, obviously they are are great team....I was reacting to the fact that Forrest is not "overrated" as they said, and as a somewhat rabid fan of these girls I was cheering for them.... not against MTCS , I meant no disrespect to MTCS.