Non Faculty Head Coaches

countrygirl11

/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> What kind of supplement are you getting Dancing Bear?

Your job isn't just coaching softball is it?

Most coaches are getting less than $1 an hour for the time and effort they put in for school teams by the time it's all said and done. If that $1 an hour goes to a school system employee or the Coke driver doesn't really matter in the big picture if both can get the job done on the field.

There are plenty of places where you can be an assistant for 5 years and be as qualified as your mentor. That's with a degree or not, but particularly in the sports field. Heck, there's a ton of folks that are training the person that's going to replace them. Doesn't always take 5 years either. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of supplement are you getting Dancing Bear?

Your job isn't just coaching softball is it?

Most coaches are getting less than $1 an hour for the time and effort they put in for school teams by the time it's all said and done. If that $1 an hour goes to a school system employee or the Coke driver doesn't really matter in the big picture if both can get the job done on the field.

There are plenty of places where you can be an assistant for 5 years and be as qualified as your mentor. That's with a degree or not, but particularly in the sports field. Heck, there's a ton of folks that are training the person that's going to replace them. Doesn't always take 5 years either.

In a perfect world all coaches would be faculty, but we know that will never be the case as there are too few well trained coaches for all sports. I have had daughters and sons go through high school sports with faculty and non faculty coaches and the experience has been mixed. The absolutely worst coaches I have been associated with were non faculty, but also some of the best were non faculty. I remember when I had a son on a baseball team, and the school prohibited non faculty coaches. The coach who took the job told me he had neither coache d or played baseball, but he would do the best he could. He wanted help but was not allowed it.

I will limit my next comments to softball. There are way too few qualified softball coaches in high school today. I believe that will change with the growing number of young women playing the sport who will coach someday. I do believe that a faculty member needsto be in overall control of the program as the team does represent the school. As far as who runs the team in practice and games-who cares.

Travel ball and school ball are two different animals when it comes to talent, and we need to keep that in perspective. I doubt if anyone obtained a scholarship to college based on high school performance

According to TSSAA handbook sub/graduate teachers are allowed to accept any responcabilities allowed by their professors up to and including the head coach position of any sport.

They CANNOT take a head job, give the TSSAA a call and see what they say!

TSSAA online handbook page 41 states:

Q. Are student teachers considered non-faculty coaches?

A. If he/she is currently student teaching, he/she is allowed to do whatever his/her supervising teacher (college professor in charge) allows him/her to do as part of his/her total educational experience. He/She would not be considered non-faculty while he/she is student teaching.

Thus, being considered a faculty coach they can be a head coach.

Metro is in violation of TSSAA rules allowing this young lady to coach. A sub is a non faculty person. Only way she would be considered faculty is if they are holding a job for her at the school, which also is a violation of metro schools.

Dude, are you upset you didn't get hired. There are not many qualified people at Antioch to coach softball, though one of the best does teach there. Leave them be, if it is a violation, it will be handled by Mr. Carter and Co. Did John Conditt apply for the job, or was he passed over for this "sub?" Honestly, let the girls play.

Spring sports in Metro are a joke! Where else but Metro can you coach and they dont fire you? Think of a coach who was fired in metro because of their spring record or even football record. I understand the new coach at the new school in metro never had a winning record but he is going to start a new program!! You just have to understand that metro isnt like the county schools where people care!

I am glad that you feel better. Now maybe all have to is be an assistant at your jobfor 5 before I can be cleared by your boss to take your job! All coaches pay a price. Coaching is about the kids, but read the post!

As I understand it your job is teaching. What you are crying about is what you think should be a "perk" because you are a teacher, no one on this board has said that only 5 years of assisting should allow someone to take your job(teaching). 5 years of assisting at my profession would be what the real world calls internship. "Perks" in the real world are things like extra vacation and bonuses at Christmas time, not being able assume another position just because I want to. Dancing Bear you may be well qualified to assume both positions and for the kid??™s sake I hope you are, but your position that faculty members should automatically be coaching is ludicrous and another indictment against you that you are not really there for the benefit of the student/athlete, but that it pads your pocket a little while doing something you enjoy. And while we are quoting famous coaches, here is one we all know. "There is no I in team!!!!

I am glad that you feel better. Now maybe all have to is be an assistant at your jobfor 5 before I can be cleared by your boss to take your job! All coaches pay a price. Coaching is about the kids, but read the post!

Sorry Dancing Bear my degree is not in english. But the Coke guy and I are having trouble trying to figure out your post.

Sorry Dancing Bear my degree is not in english. But the Coke guy and I are having trouble trying to figure out your post.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Now that "ain't" right.... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Should Schools system have non Faculity head coaches?

They can have. Should they? Why not. TSSAA rules make it possible to do so, if certain conditions are met. Why is it not done more often? Two words-liability and accountability. Most schools have a wide variety of athletic teams to find coaches for ( football, basketball, soccer, track, tennis, golf, baseball, softball, wrestling, swimming, etc.). Many of these have both a boys and a girls coach as well as different levels...varsity, JV, freshmen. Most school systems don't want to deal with trying to keep up with a large number of non-faculty coaches, or, for that matter, even one. Maybe one day this will change, but don't hold your breath.