Non Faculty Head Coaches

countrygirl11

So how can a substitute teacher be a head coach then. I have heard that in Nashville, a school had a coach before she graduated from college, and she isn't even an employee at the school, is this not breaking TSSAA rules. If you must know, it is the second largest school in the state.

if she was not a employee then she wasn't the head coach. She may say she's the head coach but when the school sends in the paper work ol Joe blow will be listed as the head coach . Just another way to get around the rules ( A TSSAA Member might have a daughter playing at that school to) and again TSSAA might not now this is happening. This is where an TSSAA umpire job is to know who the head coach is. durning the pre game talk i have had the umpire tell us that only the head coach can appeal a play ,make changes, or change the line up,and is responsible for the actions of tthe parents, ect. It s all in the TSSAA Handbook in plain black and white, if you feel that the rules is being broken report it by all means.......

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if she was not a employee then she wasn't the head coach. She may say she's the head coach but when the school sends in the paper work ol Joe blow will be listed as the head coach . Just another way to get around the rules ( A TSSAA Member might have a daughter playing at that school to) and again TSSAA might not now this is happening. This is where an TSSAA umpire job is to know who the head coach is. durning the pre game talk i have had the umpire tell us that only the head coach can appeal a play ,make changes, or change the line up,and is responsible for the actions of tthe parents, ect. It s all in the TSSAA Handbook in plain black and white, if you feel that the rules is being broken report it by all means.......

in my opinion, high school athletes should be coached by high school coaches. they are there every day at the school to handle the day to day operations. they are also there to handle these young kids academic ,athletic, and emotional progress. " SPORTS ARE NOT ABOUT X'S AND O'S ITS ABOUT THE JIMMY'S AND THE JOE'S" We need to be concerned with the KIDS not winning and losing, however , we live in a society that is all about winning; every aspect; act score, job income, promotions, etc....

POINT FOR PARENTS TO CONSIDER: AS OF FEB 2007 ONLY 3%OF MEN BASKETBALL MAKE IT TO COLLEGE FROM H. SCHOOL, ONLY 3.3% FOR WOMENS BASKETBALL, 5.7% FOR FOOTBALL, 6.1% BASEBALL WITH ONLY 11.5 SCHOLARSHIPS FOR THE WHOLE TEAM.....THESE ARE FACTS

So, what is the real reason that the child is playing the sport, for "daddy" to live through the child, to go to school, to hang with their friends, etc.. we need to look at this also.

Bottom line:TRAVEL BALL IS TRAVEL BALL FOR THE MORE COMMITTED, MORE FINANCIALLY ADVANTAGED(EXPENSES OUT THE WAZOO!!). THESE TEAMS NEED AND SHOULD HAVE, THE BETTER COACHES BECAUSE IT IS MORE COMPETITIVE,MORE EXPOSURE TO COLLEGE COACHES. HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETES NEED HIGH SCHOOL COACHES.

ALSO, when and if anything happens, who does this non facukty person answer to. answer no one, that person can cut tail and run, also they will cut tail and run soon as their daughter graduates any way. how stable is that????

I went to college to teach and coach. If somebody that wants to coach at the high school level then he or she needs to get a degree in education and find a job in teaching and coaching, and then, and only then is it O. K. for them to coach at the high school level. These summer traveling teams are fine for the men and women who do not want to teach. We all know that there are certain expectations that we are held accountable for, and sadly softball is a sport that is sometimes overlooked when it comes down to coaching strengths. But you have to pay a price to coach and mine was a 4 year college degree, a 2 year masters degree and teaching all day before practice and games.

The recent graduate/substitute is the head coach, a campus security guy is the asst. coach. How is this possible under TSSAA rules.

YES! I totally agree... and I also played Division I softball as well, so I would consider myself a qualified softball coach who also happens to be an English teacher...

If all High School coaches had your resume the kids would be in good hands. The problem with faculty only coach occurs when a coach of a fall sport or a teacher with little to no experience in the sport is the Head Coach. Happens way more than we want to admit.

i think when you become i faculty memeber you should take on as many challenges as possible so no i do not agree with having a non faculty memeber as a coach

I have read many of the responces and decided to respond to this one because it leans more to my opinion. It is a simple deduction. These athletes put their all into this sport so they deserve the best coaching available,just like they deserve the best educators. The advancement of athletes to the next level is important and why many of them play the game. Scholarships to advance their education not their softball playing skills are what is a stake. It is highly unlikely that your student/athlete will play professional softball, but highly likely they will try to achive a higher education. To resolve this issue one must ask a simple question. Do you want someone that is only qualified to be a softball coach teaching high school math? I didn't think so. Then if scholarships are the goal to achieve a higher level of education why would you want someone only qualified to teach high school math coaching softball? It is a no-brainer, but the truth is there must be someone on staff to handle problems associated with the day to day operations of the team(i.e. scheduling, student behaviour, etc.) The TSSAA needs to consider the athletes in this case not the educators(ins't that what an education is supposed to be about). If you know the TSSAA you know this not the case, as in the 50/50 rule. We'll save that argument for later!

Under ideal circumstances, the high school athletes would have good teachers AND good coaches. My hope is that in the near future, that's what will begin to happen. Softball has grown as a sport in TN in the last 6-8 years especially with Monica Abbott and others in the spotlight in Knoxville. I hope that when some of the girls who have played college softball graduate and come back to TN school systems to be teachers and coaches, they will gradually take the place of the math teacher/fall sport coach etc. who is forced to coach softball and they will be there to coach the girls because they want to be there and they're excited about coaching. Not because they're forced to do it. It would also help to get high school softball players to the next level because their coaches hopefully would have some contacts at that higher level. The way it is now, very few high school softball players are getting exposure to college coaches unless they play travel ball. College coaches want to see how well the girls play against the best competetion and like it or not, at least for now, that's at the travel ball level.

Under ideal circumstances, the high school athletes would have good teachers AND good coaches. My hope is that in the near future, that's what will begin to happen. Softball has grown as a sport in TN in the last 6-8 years especially with Monica Abbott and others in the spotlight in Knoxville. I hope that when some of the girls who have played college softball graduate and come back to TN school systems to be teachers and coaches, they will gradually take the place of the math teacher/fall sport coach etc. who is forced to coach softball and they will be there to coach the girls because they want to be there and they're excited about coaching. Not because they're forced to do it. It would also help to get high school softball players to the next level because their coaches hopefully would have some contacts at that higher level. The way it is now, very few high school softball players are getting exposure to college coaches unless they play travel ball. College coaches want to see how well the girls play against the best competetion and like it or not, at least for now, that's at the travel ball level.

Amen!!!!

I went to college to teach and coach. If somebody that wants to coach at the high school level then he or she needs to get a degree in education and find a job in teaching and coaching, and then, and only then is it O. K. for them to coach at the high school level. These summer traveling teams are fine for the men and women who do not want to teach. We all know that there are certain expectations that we are held accountable for, and sadly softball is a sport that is sometimes overlooked when it comes down to coaching strengths. But you have to pay a price to coach and mine was a 4 year college degree, a 2 year masters degree and teaching all day before practice and games.

Dancing Bear I must strongly disagree. I want my child taught and coached by the best person possible for that job. I don't give a rats butt whether you have a masters degree or not. I get the feeling from your post that you think, just because you went to college that should intitle you to be a coach. Whether or not your the best coach possible.

IMO there are a few great school coaches.....and there are some good school coaches. Then there are alot of school coaches that DO NOT need to be coaching.Period.

Dancing Bear I must strongly disagree. I want my child taught and coached by the best person possible for that job. I don't give a rats butt whether you have a masters degree or not. I get the feeling from your post that you think, just because you went to college that should intitle you to be a coach. Whether or not your the best coach possible.

IMO there are a few great school coaches.....and there are some good school coaches. Then there are alot of school coaches that DO NOT need to be coaching.Period.

And there are alot of parents that do not need to be parents. But you have to pay a price to coach at certain levels and going to college is a price that you have to pay to coach high school ball. If you want to coach little league or travel ball then it does not matter what type of education you have. Talk to any college coach that you want your daughter to play for and ask them whay type of education they have --- it might matter.

By the way, they will all have at least a masters degree. Think about it.

/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> I don't get 'the teacher has to be the head coach' mentality at all.

Do all DI softball players go into the teaching profession?

Are only those that have teaching degrees qualified to coach high school softball?

How many of the college softball coaches have teaching degrees?

In practically any job out there, a person is qualified by education OR experience. In many cases the experience is more important than the education. Now, I agree that the administrative part of the job is easier in house, particularly if the X's and O's person has a regular job. Once they're on the field, it's softball. I'm pretty sure there's not a degree in softball offered at State U.

Ideally, the softball coach should be qualified by experience or education. If they're not and they're a warm body, then they should endeavor to find an assistant that is qualified by experience. There's nothing worse than having a coach that's just drawing the supplement and puts forth the minimum effort. At that point, I'd rather have a volunteer coach that is enthusiastic about teaching the game. Who cares who has the title. A volunteer assistant that doesn't have to deal with the administrative duties or the pesky parents has more time to actually teach the game.