Non Faculty Head Coaches

countrygirl11

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is more to coaching than dealing with players. You have to line off the field during your planning period. You have to order bats, balls, and deal with a million other things including upset parents. IF you haven't paid the price to coach at the high school level then coach at some lower level. And that price is going to college and getting a teaching degree and spending time learning the game under good head coaches!

We all have our place in life. Some of us are placed in the positions we like and others don't. A great coach once said "The difference between a person with a high school diploma, a B.S. degree and a master's degree is not how smart a person is, but how hard a person is willing to work toward something".

TSSAA considers five years as an assistant as "paying the price".. The fact that good non-faculty coaches are such a threat to you speaks volumes about your ability. The sooner you learn to dis-connect the terms "great coaches and college degrees", the better off you'll be. The two DO NOT automatically go hand in hand. It's ashame no one has been able to make you understand that. You should feel no more sense of entitlement than anyone else. NO COLLEGE can make you into a great coach. That is a characteristic that a person either has or not. You can go to college for 20 years, but if you unwilling to open your mind to new things and accept help when needed from whomever is able to provide it, then your coaching career will not be as successful. This is the last response I'll offer to you since you are obviously set in your position and will not see the other side of the argument.

TSSAA considers five years as an assistant as "paying the price".. The fact that good non-faculty coaches are such a threat to you speaks volumes about your ability. The sooner you learn to dis-connect the terms "great coaches and college degrees", the better off you'll be. The two DO NOT automatically go hand in hand. It's ashame no one has been able to make you understand that. You should feel no more sense of entitlement than anyone else. NO COLLEGE can make you into a great coach. That is a characteristic that a person either has or not. You can go to college for 20 years, but if you unwilling to open your mind to new things and accept help when needed from whomever is able to provide it, then your coaching career will not be as successful. This is the last response I'll offer to you since you are obviously set in your position and will not see the other side of the argument.

I know alot of young qualified teachers who want to coach and can't because of non-faculty coaches. Our system has had problems getting the best coaches because they hire coaches that do not teach! If I all you had to is be an assistant for 5 years to have your job I think that you might rethink what you have said. Good coaching jobs are hard to find. Parents and others are hurting the teaching/high school coaching by supporting coaches that don't teach. We need teachers coaching because they can work with the child during school - mentally and physically.

I know alot of young qualified teachers who want to coach and can't because of non-faculty coaches. Our system has had problems getting the best coaches because they hire coaches that do not teach! If I all you had to is be an assistant for 5 years to have your job I think that you might rethink what you have said. Good coaching jobs are hard to find. Parents and others are hurting the teaching/high school coaching by supporting coaches that don't teach. We need teachers coaching because they can work with the child during school - mentally and physically.

I know alot of young qualified teachers who want to coach and can't because of non-faculty coaches. Our system has had problems getting the best coaches because they hire coaches that do not teach! If I all you had to is be an assistant for 5 years to have your job I think that you might rethink what you have said. Good coaching jobs are hard to find. Parents and others are hurting the teaching/high school coaching by supporting coaches that don't teach. We need teachers coaching because they can work with the child during school - mentally and physically.I know alot of young qualified teachers who want to coach and can't because of non-faculty coaches. Our system has had problems getting the best coaches because they hire coaches that do not teach! If I all you had to is be an assistant for 5 years to have your job I think that you might rethink what you have said. Good coaching jobs are hard to find. Parents and others are hurting the teaching/high school coaching by supporting coaches that don't teach. We need teachers coaching because they can work with the child during school - mentally and physically.

Guess I lied, I will respond to that. You MAIN job should be to teach. I don't think any non-faculty person is going to take that job from you. Non faculty coaches are only allowed after the job was not able to be filled from the faculty. As a head coach you should know that. So that argument doesn't hold water either. Bottom line, your insecurities are fueling this debate and nothing else.

Qualified by knowledge of softball or education?

I'm guessing the Coke driver/coach is asking 'What's a free period?' Five years as an assistant is a little more than it took you to get your degree isn't it? Five years of experience is invaluable.

I'm not knocking teachers as head coaches. Quite the opposite. I do think the day to day management of the team is easier from inside the school. I just think that's a very narrow point of view and not the only path that can be taken. In our system, to replace a coach that is also a teacher, there has to be an opening in the prospective coaches area. You can't hire the best softball coach in the world if they teach math and there's not a math position open in the system. Are you better off at that point hiring a warm body or getting the best softball coach that is available?

Good softball coaches are not a dime a dozen as it is. Good softball coaches that are also teachers limits the pool even more. Good softball coaches that are teachers in which your system has an opening restricts the possibilities even more.

It's like posting an opening for a 5'-6" blond haired softball coach with 5 years experience. The better question is why are we placing such restrictive qualifications for a sport that isn't exactly over loaded with qualified choices to begin with?

The recent graduate/substitute is the head coach, a campus security guy is the asst. coach. How is this possible under TSSAA rules.

The school you are talking about is Antioch HS, I believe. The head coach just got out of college this past winter and is a sub at the school the asst. is the campus cop. Spring sports for the metro schools are a joke to start with except track! Who really cares who coaches these teams because they will NEVER see the BIG DANCE in the Boro! Track is a different story!!!!

The school you are talking about is Antioch HS, I believe. The head coach just got out of college this past winter and is a sub at the school the asst. is the campus cop. Spring sports for the metro schools are a joke to start with except track! Who really cares who coaches these teams because they will NEVER see the BIG DANCE in the Boro! Track is a different story!!!!

According to TSSAA handbook sub/graduate teachers are allowed to accept any responcabilities allowed by their professors up to and including the head coach position of any sport.

I know alot of young qualified teachers who want to coach and can't because of non-faculty coaches. Our system has had problems getting the best coaches because they hire coaches that do not teach! If I all you had to is be an assistant for 5 years to have your job I think that you might rethink what you have said. Good coaching jobs are hard to find. Parents and others are hurting the teaching/high school coaching by supporting coaches that don't teach. We need teachers coaching because they can work with the child during school - mentally and physically.I know alot of young qualified teachers who want to coach and can't because of non-faculty coaches. Our system has had problems getting the best coaches because they hire coaches that do not teach! If I all you had to is be an assistant for 5 years to have your job I think that you might rethink what you have said. Good coaching jobs are hard to find. Parents and others are hurting the teaching/high school coaching by supporting coaches that don't teach. We need teachers coaching because they can work with the child during school - mentally and physically.

Dancing Bear, I have tried to keep a distance to the latest post on this board, but alas I remain quiet no more. I hope your passion is for your kids and not your reputation. Your education gives you NO advantage over other coaches on the softball field, that is unless they have started softball 101 as a required course for your degree where you attended college. Case in point, I know a "travel ball coach who has a double degree, works 9 to 5, volunteers their coaching time, has multiple players attending college on softball scholarships due to their talent and his commitment and hard work(including a player who has played with the ju-co Olympic team for two years running) all to have a high school teacher to get their picture in the paper and all the credit when one of his players signs a commitment(never hear a word from him cause its about the kids not him). I say one of his players because he coached these athletes since they were 8 years old only to have the teacher/coach reap the rewards of his dedication and long hours TEACHING these athletes the fundamentals of the game. In fact he has probably been coaching since you were in rec league(about 20 years). No accolades, no pay, successful athletes sounds like a winning combination to me. How do you stack up? If you are qualified you are qualified. I stick by my earlier comments to this post. Do you want a softball coach teaching high school math? NO!!! So why would you want a math teacher coaching softball when scholarships are on the line. Dancing Bear at some time you will have to put the student/athlete ahead of your agenda. You reap the benefits of coaches who developed athletes you now have the opportunity to coach, yet you give no thanks to them. You would do good to set under some of East Tennessee's many experianced travel ball coaches and learn what "earning" something is. Your comments on lining the field and keeping up with other aspects of coaching are a joke. Travel ball coahes do the same thing, you know they do need equipment , fundraising, motel rooms, finding a field to practice on, and oh! what was that about parents? Most high schools I know of have closed practices and "no comment" policies pertaining to parents, something travel ball coaches do not have the luxury of. Your tirades are nothing more than what sounds like the wailing of a spoiled brat that thinks they "DESERVE" something. IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS NOT YOU OR ANYBODY ELSE!!! When we as high school coaches, travel ball coaches, and parents will put the girls first, they will not only become more successful athletes, but better individuals also. I wish the best of luck to your student/ athletes it sounds like they are going to need it.

There I feel better now.

Dancing Bear, I have tried to keep a distance to the latest post on this board, but alas I remain quiet no more. I hope your passion is for your kids and not your reputation. Your education gives you NO advantage over other coaches on the softball field, that is unless they have started softball 101 as a required course for your degree where you attended college. Case in point, I know a "travel ball coach who has a double degree, works 9 to 5, volunteers their coaching time, has multiple players attending college on softball scholarships due to their talent and his commitment and hard work(including a player who has played with the ju-co Olympic team for two years running) all to have a high school teacher to get their picture in the paper and all the credit when one of his players signs a commitment(never hear a word from him cause its about the kids not him). I say one of his players because he coached these athletes since they were 8 years old only to have the teacher/coach reap the rewards of his dedication and long hours TEACHING these athletes the fundamentals of the game. In fact he has probably been coaching since you were in rec league(about 20 years). No accolades, no pay, successful athletes sounds like a winning combination to me. How do you stack up? If you are qualified you are qualified. I stick by my earlier comments to this post. Do you want a softball coach teaching high school math? NO!!! So why would you want a math teacher coaching softball when scholarships are on the line. Dancing Bear at some time you will have to put the student/athlete ahead of your agenda. You reap the benefits of coaches who developed athletes you now have the opportunity to coach, yet you give no thanks to them. You would do good to set under some of East Tennessee's many experianced travel ball coaches and learn what "earning" something is. Your comments on lining the field and keeping up with other aspects of coaching are a joke. Travel ball coahes do the same thing, you know they do need equipment , fundraising, motel rooms, finding a field to practice on, and oh! what was that about parents? Most high schools I know of have closed practices and "no comment" policies pertaining to parents, something travel ball coaches do not have the luxury of. Your tirades are nothing more than what sounds like the wailing of a spoiled brat that thinks they "DESERVE" something. IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS NOT YOU OR ANYBODY ELSE!!! When we as high school coaches, travel ball coaches, and parents will put the girls first, they will not only become more successful athletes, but better individuals also. I wish the best of luck to your student/ athletes it sounds like they are going to need it.

There I feel better now.

I am glad that you feel better. Now maybe all have to is be an assistant at your jobfor 5 before I can be cleared by your boss to take your job! All coaches pay a price. Coaching is about the kids, but read the post!