Non Faculty Head Coaches

countrygirl11

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK- I have watched this thread for several days now, and both sides seem to ignore the fact that your are part correct and part incorrect at the same time. So let me give you the view from where I stand.

First let me state my qualifications. I have been a non-faculty assistant coach for the past several years. I don't have 5 in yet, but I am close. To the horror of some of you, I coached the team that my daughter played on, and continued to assist with the team after her graduation. For anybody that thinks coaches do it for the stipend, they are crazy, you can make a bigger check delivering pizza than you can coaching High School ball, and stay alot warmer this time of year. Now if you want to argue we do it for ego, (including me) you might have an valid arguement.

Do I think you should have a non-faculty head coach....... No. There are too many things that need coordination between the school administrators and the Head Coach that the non-faculty person does not need to be involved in ie. grades, budgets, scheduling to avoid conflicts with other school functions, student disipline, etc.

Do I think there is ever a situation where a non-faculty head coach is called for...Yes. I know some of you might not believe it, but some schools do not have qualified coaches that are willing to devote their time to a noncompetitive softball program for what works out to be much less than minimum wage. Not only do you get to donate your time, you get to listen to parents complain about how unfair you are treating their precious daughter who is the next Jenny Finch! (Remember I am a parent too!.... you don't think I got some brutal questions from my wife when I got home about the way I treated our daughter.)

The bottom line is this, in a Utopian world each High School would have a qualified, motivated, knowledgeable FACULTY Head Coach willing to put in long hours in bad weather for lousy pay, with the added bonus of dealing with us parents. Last time I checked, I don't live in Utopia. Therefore the schools that cannot find that qualified staff person must look elsewhere. Are these people threats to the Master Degree teacher who wants the Head Coach position? In a few cases I would say yes, but for the most part no.

If you have a degree, and you prove that you have the knowledge, teaching skills, and love of kids and softball, people will search you out to coach their team. There aren't that many topnotch coaches out there. If you don't have the qualifications, it doesn't really matter whether you are a faculty member or not, it will show as well.

OK- I have watched this thread for several days now, and both sides seem to ignore the fact that your are part correct and part incorrect at the same time. So let me give you the view from where I stand.

First let me state my qualifications. I have been a non-faculty assistant coach for the past several years. I don't have 5 in yet, but I am close. To the horror of some of you, I coached the team that my daughter played on, and continued to assist with the team after her graduation. For anybody that thinks coaches do it for the stipend, they are crazy, you can make a bigger check delivering pizza than you can coaching High School ball, and stay alot warmer this time of year. Now if you want to argue we do it for ego, (including me) you might have an valid arguement.

Do I think you should have a non-faculty head coach....... No. There are too many things that need coordination between the school administrators and the Head Coach that the non-faculty person does not need to be involved in ie. grades, budgets, scheduling to avoid conflicts with other school functions, student disipline, etc.

Do I think there is ever a situation where a non-faculty head coach is called for...Yes. I know some of you might not believe it, but some schools do not have qualified coaches that are willing to devote their time to a noncompetitive softball program for what works out to be much less than minimum wage. Not only do you get to donate your time, you get to listen to parents complain about how unfair you are treating their precious daughter who is the next Jenny Finch! (Remember I am a parent too!.... you don't think I got some brutal questions from my wife when I got home about the way I treated our daughter.)

The bottom line is this, in a Utopian world each High School would have a qualified, motivated, knowledgeable FACULTY Head Coach willing to put in long hours in bad weather for lousy pay, with the added bonus of dealing with us parents. Last time I checked, I don't live in Utopia. Therefore the schools that cannot find that qualified staff person must look elsewhere. Are these people threats to the Master Degree teacher who wants the Head Coach position? In a few cases I would say yes, but for the most part no.

If you have a degree, and you prove that you have the knowledge, teaching skills, and love of kids and softball, people will search you out to coach their team. There aren't that many topnotch coaches out there. If you don't have the qualifications, it doesn't really matter whether you are a faculty member or not, it will show as well.

Very good post /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Bravo! Well put. If the coaching position is aimed at the student/ahtlete and their future success then there would be no use for this post.

Good reply!! but what school do you help coach?

Great post zachsdad!

I was a non faculty volunteer assistant coach for a middle school baseball team only because the head coach demanded from the administration a baseball guy. The administration doesn't want a non faculty of any kind for the most part for the reasons you stated. Liability and accountability. My stint got me $200 that the head coach got through the school board. Leaving an hour or two early from work every game day and providing my own transportation back and forth probably cost me closer to $1,000. It's not something you do for money. I can see the ego part, but in my case I didn't apply for the job. It was sort of asked of me.

The bottom line is that small schools with multiple girls and boys sports could not compete without volunteer coaches. Even at that, the administration will fill every position with any warm body that will do it if they can. There has to be a happy medium. Not all parents wear rose colored glasses where their kids are concerned and not all faculty members are qualified to coach because they have a degree in education. It's not an all or nothing proposition.

I am curious : how many faculty coaches versus non faculty coaches make it to the state tournament on a regular basis? Can anyone answer this?

That comparison wouldn't hold water anyway. Unless there was an even amount of each, the numbers are going to be slanted. I'm guessing it is at least 50-1 faculty head coaches vs. non-faculty head coaches, so the numbers wouldn't support making that comparison. One other thing, the large programs such as Riverdale aren't going to have a non-faculty coach but would have a huge edge by sheer numbers and experience over a 1A school where a non-faculty coach would likely be coaching. I agree with NUNUNU...probably need to just let this subject go away since it seems to ruffle so many feathers.

That comparison wouldn't hold water anyway. Unless there was an even amount of each, the numbers are going to be slanted. I'm guessing it is at least 50-1 faculty head coaches vs. non-faculty head coaches, so the numbers wouldn't support making that comparison. One other thing, the large programs such as Riverdale aren't going to have a non-faculty coach but would have a huge edge by sheer numbers and experience over a 1A school where a non-faculty coach would likely be coaching. I agree with NUNUNU...probably need to just let this subject go away since it seems to ruffle so many feathers.

I was hoping someone would try and answer this question instead of dodging it so I could ask the real question. How many faculty coached have taught the girls how to throw, run, field, hit, or any other fundamental of the game and then went to state? A: 0. Faculty coaches get the benefit of athletes that have already been "trained". Question is not what percentage of faculty coaches to non-faculty coaches went to the "boro", but what travel team did the girls play for in the off season. I guarantee everybody on this post will recognize the names of the teams they play for in the summer. This horse is dead, you can't anything else out of it by beating on it anymore. In a dream world all teachers would be great coaches and all coaches would be great teachers, but hey we live in Tennesse(the real world).

Bottom line is there are great coaches that aren't or wasn't great players. Just as there are great players that are not good coaches. If you are in a situation of an undesired coach rather it be in hogh school or travel sports.

get out and transfer schools while sacrificing the calander year or if unhappy in travel find a new team. There is a new one forned everyday!