REGION 5AA

highschoolgameday22

As a Lipscomb parent who watched 3 great DL/CPA games this year and a few awesome games last year, the black shirts don't bother me at all. It was obvious the date on the back was a goal and good for CPA they are on the way. The fans can be tough sometimes. I love the good banter that goes on between the student sections, but sometimes kids in a big group take on the "pack" mentality and say things they wouldn't if they were alone. That said, most of the time the atmosphere with the CPA fans is great and it's always impressive to see how many students and parents make the trek to wherever they are playing.

Finally, all the talk about Coach of the Year...This is not an arbitrary decision made by some person in a dark room. This is voted on by the other coaches and I think it's disprespectful to everyone involved to continue to imply (or flat out say) that they were wrong. The coach with the best record doesn't always get the award. But the FRA coach did a fine job and led the team (who didn't have Z) to a great season. Coach Maddux will continue to get recognition, but if he's the coach and the man you CPA fans claim he is, then he would tell you to let this go as well.

Congratulations to 9 AA on a great season.

Consider it "over" with the coach thing as long as you get over the whole "Z" thing. I never said the other coaches were "flat out wrong"....you did. My post was anything but disrespectful. I paid tribute to Coach Pierce and stated the facts. Facts and a record that can't be argued along with a tone of respect for the game and the hard work all the players and coaches put in. To imply that CPA doesn't need as good a coach, because it has a "Z", is completely disrespectful to everyone in our camp.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider it "over" with the coach thing as long as you get over the whole "Z" thing. I never said the other coaches were "flat out wrong"....you did. My post was anything but disrespectful. I paid tribute to Coach Pierce and stated the facts. Facts and a record that can't be argued along with a tone of respect for the game and the hard work all the players and coaches put in. To imply that CPA doesn't need as good a coach, because it has a "Z", is completely disrespectful to everyone in our camp.

I agree with this point. I admit I am a CPA fan, but I am trying to be impartial in my comments. A lot of teams have a dominant or great player. Look at Station Camp with Jenkins (already signed with Vandy) as an example this year. Even BA when Wright played for them lost to in-state teams as did Giles County when Smith was there.

To go undefeated in the state of Tennessee, win District, win District tourney and win Region tourney is very rare. That takes more than a great player because teams with great players have not always done that. It takes great coaching, and that should be recognized. Along the way they had to win some close games (2 in OT), and hold on when Z was off, was sick, or got in foul trouble.

My last post on this matter:

- Pierce did a great job, was voted by the other coaches, and should be congratulated. However,he was evenly matched with DL, split with them, had a chance to finish 2nd seed in the District, but couldn't win the game he needed at crunch time to do so. IMO, his award would have been more legit if he had finished ahead of DL.

- Z is a great player, but the team's accomplishments go beyond that.

- Coach Maddux's success this year was very special and should have been recognized with the award. He wasn't, and that is life, so he accepts it and so should CPA fans.

- Great musicians don't guarantee a great orchestra - it takes a great conductor.

Say what you will but everyone knows Drew Maddux deserved it this time around.

TNT this is what he is probably refering to. It seems that CPA fans on this thread, and others, cannot offer a compliment with out including a "but.." statement to follow it. I have read a number of posts that compliment CPA and the coaching staff without a "but..." after it. Why can't CPA do the same?

Coach Maddux has done an excellent job. His team has put forth a ton of effort night in and night out. His kids work hard and carry thmeselves well. They prepare well for their opponents and seem to really enjoy playing together. Mason and Miller are talented, but ask most coaches and they'd say talent can be tough to coach. In all respects he has done a great job. No "but" about anything.

Not too many CPA fans on this thread are prepared to compliment anyone without putting their team. or themelves, over whoever they are recognizing. Humility is one of the hardest strengths to possess when things are going well, and grace is tough to come by when you are extolling your own virtues.

Like I said in an earlier post - good luck these next couple of weeks.

Guest bballmom10

My response was to all of the posts in regards to this subject. Some were quite insulting to the FRA coach, some chose their words more carefully. The point is, and it's no secret, no one else has a player like Z. But, he isn't the only weapon on the CPA team. No question it's a team effort. My point is, and will continue to be that the coach with the best record doesn't always get the Coach of the Year plaque. It's chosen by other coaches. What they are thinking when they vote? Who knows, but it's still done by vote. I've seen this type of thing go the other way as well. Several years ago their was a team in the district that was top to bottom the best. The talent was unmatched, and these players were dominant not only in high school but on their respective and separate aau teams. That coach was named coach of the year and to my surprise, the reaction by almost all of the players in attendance (with the exception of that team) felt that he shouldn't have received the award. I didn't have a dog in that fight, didn't know enough about the other team to be able to speak to the coaching, but I did find it interesting that the reaction was so strong. So an argument can be made on both sides. Here's what I know: I know that this was a very competitive season in 9AA. I know that CPA came out on top, and they deserved their wins. I find the intensity of the players to be very refreshing and not an easy task considering they won many of the games by a large margin. I know that the team is extremely talented, with players that any school coach would love to add. I also know that their are very good coaches all over the place that don't ever receive the plaque and in the end it doesn't matter because what is important is the lessons they teach the players. I don't know the players personally so can't speak to that. Again, I know that the FRA players would tell you their coach deserved it. You want that kind of loyalty from the team. If you don't think your coach is the best, you are not going to give your best. Take a compliment when it's given and stop looking for reasons to lash out. Enjoy this ride, they are never permanent and the cycle of success is just that, a cycle. I wish every team had the opportunity to watch a young team grow and develop like CPA has and will have again next year. I hope the rest of the district will be as strong and can keep good (let's keep them positive) rivalries going.

- Pierce did a great job, was voted by the other coaches, and should be congratulated. However,he was evenly matched with DL, split with them, had a chance to finish 2nd seed in the District, but couldn't win the game he needed at crunch time to do so. IMO, his award would have been more legit if he had finished ahead of DL.

This is exactly my point. Can't compliment anyone else without a "but" or "however". DL and FRA evenly matched? Really? DL has 300+ more students. A much larger roster. FRA had to practice everyday against freshmen because thay only had 9 boys from grade 10-12. They are the smallest AA school and made the final 32 in the state. I believe it was DL who could not win the crunch time game (loss at Pearl - FRA beat Pearl at Pear by-the-way) not FRA who beat a good Hume Fogg team on the last night of the season to give them a chance at second. This is no Knock on Coach Macpherson because he had his boys push CPA to the limit twice this season, but to question the legitmacy of the award is trite. There were three coaches in 9AA who could claim a right to this award. Well, we at FRA our proud our our coach and our boys. We think he deserved this award. And I am sure Coach Pierce would love to be playing right now over some stupid award. I hate to be so impartial, but this is getting ridiculous.

Just for the record, NO ONE on the CPA team has an arrogant attitude. This is a bunch of class guys who know that every season take a lot of hard work and dedication.

If you'll admit that you don't hear every word and see every action of CPA's team while they are on the floor, or in a restaurant, or in the mall, and how they interact with other players and fans, and that there is no possible way you can make that statement and have any credibility, then maybe the rest of us will lighten up. You don't have a corner on the "works hard" market, the "classy player" market, or the "classless player" market, for that matter. Most teams work extremely hard. Every team has classy players and, unfortuantely, classless players. It's called life.

As far as the CPA cheerleaders and the student body goes, they are having what we call "FUN" and supporting our team!

Just remember, one man's fun is another man's disrespect or lack of class. Again, every school has some fans, team members, coaches, whatever, that create a less than desirable impression from time to time. Also, every school has something that they do and think "how could anyone be offended at that? It's just fun - for us!" But, others are offended. The point is, most other schools, and posters to this forum, have the integrity to admit it.

If you'll admit that you don't hear every word and see every action of CPA's team while they are on the floor, or in a restaurant, or in the mall, and how they interact with other players and fans, and that there is no possible way you can make that statement and have any credibility, then maybe the rest of us will lighten up. You don't have a corner on the "works hard" market, the "classy player" market, or the "classless player" market, for that matter. Most teams work extremely hard. Every team has classy players and, unfortuantely, classless players. It's called life.

Just what CPA player do u think is not classy???? As far as working hard, I have never seen anyone play harder than the CPA basketball players. I have never seen any team that was able to work as hard as CPA, or fans with more integrity or class than CPA fans. Yes there are a few oddballs like the CPA dad who "flew" out onto the court for the DL game, but that just shows how much even the parents get into it. Last night, there were so many CPA fans in attendence for the GC.CPA game (45 mins away from CPA), that we took up a whole side of the gym and then the student section had to move over to the GC side b.c there were sooo many fans.

Congrats to CPA again for the district and region title wins!

"Just what CPA player do u think is not classy????"

didnt want to have to call out anyone but um lemme think DAVID ANDERSON good lord if he isnt a classless player who is... haha and i know the whole CPA student body is gonna reply with a post defending him but he is a dirty player, talks crap, cheap shots, but im not saying he is a bad player because he is good and also one of the best floppers in the state

...but he isnt classy

Just remember, one man's fun is another man's disrespect or lack of class. Again, every school has some fans, team members, coaches, whatever, that create a less than desirable impression from time to time. Also, every school has something that they do and think "how could anyone be offended at that? It's just fun - for us!" But, others are offended. The point is, most other schools, and posters to this forum, have the integrity to admit it.

I'll certainly admit that I don't hear every word or action of our players or students. I base my opinion on what I have actually witnessed. Although, saying I have no credibility is just as pointless. How could you possibly know that? Also, I never said the other teams aren't full of great kids and coaches. We experienced wonderful hosts and kids at almost every gym all year long.

And for the last time, congrats to Coach Pierce. Nice job!

No matter what you say and no matter how you want to read into what the CPA fans really mean, we're just supporting and celebrating with our kids. Just like you would do. We are enjoying the moment. We are thankful that we play in a district full of great kids who love to compete and work hard. This season, I think all the kids on every team acted about as well as you could ever hope for in this intense environment.

You say and I quote, "Just remember, one man's fun is another man's disrespect or lack of class". Oh boooohoooooohooo! We're talking about a very tame high school sporting event, not your religious affiliation. Did you ever compete in sports or play against a big rival? It's all meant to be FUN and it's intense. So you're telling me that your position is that all the fun banter in high school and college sports come from disrespectful, classless people. Trust me, if we really wanted to stick our talent and wins in your face we would do so....but..... we know full well that this is just a season for us. In the future, it will be someone elses time.

If you can't take the "FUN", then stay home.

Just what CPA player do u think is not classy???? As far as working hard, I have never seen anyone play harder than the CPA basketball players. I have never seen any team that was able to work as hard as CPA, or fans with more integrity or class than CPA fans. Yes there are a few oddballs like the CPA dad who "flew" out onto the court for the DL game, but that just shows how much even the parents get into it. Last night, there were so many CPA fans in attendence for the GC.CPA game (45 mins away from CPA), that we took up a whole side of the gym and then the student section had to move over to the GC side b.c there were sooo many fans.

Congrats to CPA again for the district and region title wins!

Thanks for proving my point.

No matter what you say and no matter how you want to read into what the CPA fans really mean, we're just supporting and celebrating with our kids. Just like you would do. We are enjoying the moment. We are thankful that we play in a district full of great kids who love to compete and work hard. This season, I think all the kids on every team acted about as well as you could ever hope for in this intense environment.

Exactly right, DL, FRA, MLK, anyone if their team was as talented as CPA would have dedicated fans like ours. While their teams are very good and do deserve praise, CPA is extraordinarily special this year. So if us CPA fans sound so prideful in this year's amazingly talented team, than at least we have a reason to be prideful (what you call arrogant).

30-3 Overall, thats our reason for pride.

Beating every team in our district twice ex. FRA, beating them 3x and DL 3x, that is why CPA fans are so excited in the stands.

I'll certainly admit that I don't hear every word or action of our players or students. I base my opinion on what I have actually witnessed. Although, saying I have no credibility is just as pointless. How could you possibly know that? Also, I never said the other teams aren't full of great kids and coaches. We experienced wonderful hosts and kids at almost every gym all year long.

YOU stated that "NO ONE on the CPA team has an arrogant attitude." YOU never said "in the games I have actually witnessed I have never seen anyone on the CPA team with an arrogant attitude." Big difference. You couldn't know that what you said is true because you don't hear and see everything they do. That, my friend, creates a credibility gap. You state something that you can't back up. So, by your own statements, yes, I can know that you have no credibility - at least when it comes to discussing CPA's basketball team.

And for the last time, congrats to Coach Pierce. Nice job!

Yes. A well-deserved honor for him.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH. Yes, you do support your team. I support my team. And in supporting my team, I know - and am willing to admit - that some of the things I do might actually offend someone else. I wouldn't mean to. It would all be in FUN! But, still, I might offend another team's fan by my idea of fun. But, I also haven't gotten on Coach T since the district's final game and asserted, as several CPA fans have (maybe not you, I don't know or care) that there's no way anyone could be offended by all of the fun we're having. There's no way anyone could think it's classless. There's no way anyone of our players could be considered classless. There's no way anyone works harder than CPA (prior posts, not this one). WAKE UP SPARKY! People have been offended. They do think you're (not you, presonally) classless. They do think some of your players are classless. They do think other teams work as hard or harder. That's the point - failing to even being able to admit that some of those things are possible.

Look, maybe you should go back and read more closely. I never said or implied that you said or implied that other teams aren't full of great kids and coaches. You have totally missed the point. The point is that no team, including your beloved CPA, is 100% full of great kids. Sure, there are no axe murderes or felons, but there are, in many people's points of view, classless players on CPA's team - and Lipscomb's and FRA's and Pearl Cohn's and MLK's and on and on. If you'll go back and read the thread you'll see several CPA fans, including yourself, who state or imply that there is no way CPA could have a classless or arrogant player. The point of my post was that in my opinion, and in other's, that is simply not true. I agree that at nearly every gym, including CPA's, 9AA fans expericence good hosts and fans. But, and again this was the point that you seem to have missed - it's not 100%. Not even at CPA. That's what you failed to admit in your earlier posts.

You say and I quote, "Just remember, one man's fun is another man's disrespect or lack of class". Oh boooohoooooohooo! We're talking about a very tame high school sporting event, not your religious affiliation. Did you ever compete in sports or play against a big rival? It's all meant to be FUN and it's intense. So you're telling me that your position is that all the fun banter in high school and college sports come from disrespectful, classless people. Trust me, if we really wanted to stick our talent and wins in your face we would do so....but..... we know full well that this is just a season for us. In the future, it will be someone elses time.

What in the world are you even talking about? I never said that all of the fun comes from disrespectful, classless people. Did you even read my post? Once again, the point is that some people and players, even on the hallowed grounds of CPA, are disrespectful and classless. Just like at every other school.

If you can't take the "FUN", then stay home.

I have lots of fun at the games. I'm even having fun on this topic.

Oh boooohoooooohooo!

Now THAT was classy. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />