Qualifications of being MVP

StayStrong

Can someone please fill me in on the qualifications of MVP and Coach of the Year? I dont understand what happen in district 12AA. McNairy came in the district in the #1 spot and ended the tournament in the #3 spot. The MVP award went to a McNairy player and the coach of the year went to McNairy's coach. In my opinion I think the coach of the year should have went to the winning team which happens to be Bolivar. If not Bolivar's, what about Camden's coach. They came in the tournament in the #6 spot and ended up in the #2 spot. I guess the MVP only goes to SENIORS regardless of what they did during the regular season(district games) and tournament. When a freshman is averaging 17 points per game during the district games of the season and when you add the 3 tournaments games to that you get 18 points per game. When a coach take a girl's team from a record of 3-36(?) for the past 2 years and have a record of 18-9, it all sounds like good qualifications to me.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please fill me in on the qualifications of MVP and Coach of the Year? I dont understand what happen in district 12AA. McNairy came in the district in the #1 spot and ended the tournament in the #3 spot. The MVP award went to a McNairy player and the coach of the year went to McNairy's coach. In my opinion I think the coach of the year should have went to the winning team which happens to be Bolivar. If not Bolivar's, what about Camden's coach. They came in the tournament in the #6 spot and ended up in the #2 spot. I guess the MVP only goes to SENIORS regardless of what they did during the regular season(district games) and tournament. When a freshman is averaging 17 points per game during the district games of the season and when you add the 3 tournaments games to that you get 18 points per game. When a coach take a girl's team from a record of 3-36(?) for the past 2 years and have a record of 18-9, it all sounds like good qualifications to me.

MVP and Coach of the year are usually voted on before district tour. starts

I understand your frustration. I raised the same question on the IMAC thread about the MVP of the tournament. A freshman out played everybody in the conference the whole tournament and didn't get the MVP. From what I have also seen in other threads it is not a unique problem. Tennessee seems to be stuck on giving awards to seniors rather than to those that deserve them despite the grade. Also, it seems that these are awards are based on factors other than stats. I don't agree with that, but I don't pick them!!

The MVP and the Coach award are for the regular season only. They usually have a tournament MVP. I knew coming into this year that Markita Cole had to be the front runner for District MVP. I don't know her exact stats but she probably averages 14 or 15 points, 5 or 6 rebounds and a few steals and assists a game and she does this playing on a partially torn ACL. Throw in the fact that McNairy is 3-6 without her and 12-4 with her and I believe she deserves District MVP.

I believe Lott got Coach of the year because McNairy was predicted to finish 3rd by On the Ball and I believe 4th by the coaches in the district and they ended up winning the district. Plus, he had to replace alot of production from the seniors he lost last year and McNairy still won the district. With that being said, I think the Chester Co should have gotten the award. They were predicted to finish last or next to last and they end up finishing 2nd. I thought she done a great job with that team this year.

If your frosh did not get Tournament MVP, then that is a shame because she deserved that.

The MVP and the Coach award are for the regular season only. They usually have a tournament MVP. I knew coming into this year that Markita Cole had to be the front runner for District MVP. I don't know her exact stats but she probably averages 14 or 15 points, 5 or 6 rebounds and a few steals and assists a game and she does this playing on a partially torn ACL. Throw in the fact that McNairy is 3-6 without her and 12-4 with her and I believe she deserves District MVP.

I believe Lott got Coach of the year because McNairy was predicted to finish 3rd by On the Ball and I believe 4th by the coaches in the district and they ended up winning the district. Plus, he had to replace alot of production from the seniors he lost last year and McNairy still won the district. With that being said, I think the Chester Co should have gotten the award. They were predicted to finish last or next to last and they end up finishing 2nd. I thought she done a great job with that team this year.

If your frosh did not get Tournament MVP, then that is a shame because she deserved that.

Dont get me wrong. Markita is a great basketball player. And she may be deserving of the award for all of her determination and her hard work, but there are other people that can be put into consideration. She comes out and play her game to the fullest just like the rest of the players do. I just think someone needs to re-evaluate how these awards are passed out. Coach Lott may be deserve his award, but I think there are other coaches that deserves it also. Like I said in my previous post, Bolivar's coach, I think deserved it. He has put in alot of hard work with the girls. They said it is voted on during the season and Bolivar was doing good compared to what they did the past 2 years.

Differen coaches may deserve it but only 1 can win..

That maybe so, but Bolivars coach should have gotten it,

and for as the MVP the Williams girl should have gotten it, not takin anything from the Cole girl, but she was as shocked as I was when they called her name out that night. Must be a Tn. thing. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

The coaches vote in a meeting before the tournament starts. Most districts, have an agreement that the coach(s) that wins the regular season wins coach of the year. In 13AA co-coaches this year McMillan and Suiter since OC and GC tied.

Regular season all district and regular season MVP also voted on before the tournament. And although it seems unfair sometimes, the all-tournament vote must be turned in at 1/2 time of the final game.

Dont get me wrong. Markita is a great basketball player. And she may be deserving of the award for all of her determination and her hard work, but there are other people that can be put into consideration. She comes out and play her game to the fullest just like the rest of the players do. I just think someone needs to re-evaluate how these awards are passed out. Coach Lott may be deserve his award, but I think there are other coaches that deserves it also. Like I said in my previous post, Bolivar's coach, I think deserved it. He has put in alot of hard work with the girls. They said it is voted on during the season and Bolivar was doing good compared to what they did the past 2 years.

I did not mean for my post to come off like the Bolivar player or coach were not deserving of the award and they do not give it their all. To my knowledge, they do not release how many votes each player or coach gets. I am pretty sure the Williams girl was considered for it and she should have been. I figured that their stats were in the same range and Cole got the nod because she played through an injury, McNairy finished 1st in the regualr season, McNairy had a losing record without her, and her being a Senior did help. I know I'm a McNairy fan but I was not shocked she won it. Shocked, was when Willie Kemp didn't get 12AA MVP his SR year.

Bolivar's coach has done a great job but they finsihed where many predicted them to finish. I think that's why Lott won it because they were predicted to finsih around 3rd or 4th. I said before that the Chester Co caoch should have won it because they were predicted last and finished 2nd. SLS, I don't think that is a good way to pick COY but if that is the way they do it then so be it.

I did not mean for my post to come off like the Bolivar player or coach were not deserving of the award and they do not give it their all. To my knowledge, they do not release how many votes each player or coach gets. I am pretty sure the Williams girl was considered for it and she should have been. I figured that their stats were in the same range and Cole got the nod because she played through an injury, McNairy finished 1st in the regualr season, McNairy had a losing record without her, and her being a Senior did help. I know I'm a McNairy fan but I was not shocked she won it. Shocked, was when Willie Kemp didn't get 12AA MVP his SR year.

Bolivar's coach has done a great job but they finsihed where many predicted them to finish. I think that's why Lott won it because they were predicted to finsih around 3rd or 4th. I said before that the Chester Co caoch should have won it because they were predicted last and finished 2nd. SLS, I don't think that is a good way to pick COY but if that is the way they do it then so be it.

I was shocked when Willie didn't get it either. I think that was the year the guy from Liberty got it. I know, I'm a Bolivar fan to my heart and the mother of one of the players. I know she is just a freshmen and she has her time coming to her. Markita is a senior and she was due her recognition. In a previous post, it was said that it was voted on during the regular season and nobody really knew anything about her coming into the season. I just didn't know how it was voted on. I was just shocked and so was everybody on the Bolivar side that she didn't get it. Maybe next year, she can accomplish this goal.

I understand your frustration. I raised the same question on the IMAC thread about the MVP of the tournament. A freshman out played everybody in the conference the whole tournament and didn't get the MVP. From what I have also seen in other threads it is not a unique problem. Tennessee seems to be stuck on giving awards to seniors rather than to those that deserve them despite the grade. Also, it seems that these are awards are based on factors other than stats. I don't agree with that, but I don't pick them!!

I have to say that I am one that believes that if there is a qualified senior, that the award should go to a senior. The seniors have been there 4 years and the youngsters will get there chance to shine. For the seniors, it's there last year to really accomplish an award of that magnitude. I believe the same with Miss Basketball. By all means the younger girls should be 1st team, 2nd team, etc, but I love to see a senior who has put in that much of her young life to get it. Also, I don't believe that stats are everything. That would disqualify most point guards. Some point guards are leading scorers for their team, but others who are just as good are not. In my eyes, a point guard runs the show, controls the team, etc. A MVP to me, is a senior who plays like a senior. Who makes a steal when it's needed, can handle the ball at crunch time, and steps up in different ways. But this is only my opinion.

I have to say that I am one that believes that if there is a qualified senior, that the award should go to a senior. The seniors have been there 4 years and the youngsters will get there chance to shine. For the seniors, it's there last year to really accomplish an award of that magnitude. I believe the same with Miss Basketball. By all means the younger girls should be 1st team, 2nd team, etc, but I love to see a senior who has put in that much of her young life to get it. Also, I don't believe that stats are everything. That would disqualify most point guards. Some point guards are leading scorers for their team, but others who are just as good are not. In my eyes, a point guard runs the show, controls the team, etc. A MVP to me, is a senior who plays like a senior. Who makes a steal when it's needed, can handle the ball at crunch time, and steps up in different ways. But this is only my opinion.

oppinion I agree with /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />