Region 7-AAA and 8-AAA Semifinals

coachgat

Girls championship game at 6:00 followed by the boys championship game at 7:30.

I guess this just changed???? The schedule on Jim314.com and the newspaper stated girls only and the start time at 7:00 pm.

However, I did get word that the girls would be playing at 6:00 pm and the boys at 7:30 pm. I believe TSSAA wanted all of the Regional games finished by tonight.

Are the girls substate games still on Saturday?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houston wins Region 7-AAA over East High School. They hang on at the end of overtime by hitting 6 consecutive free throws. They did it with their normal starting point guard, Sarah Womack, sitting on the bench the entire game. It was a tremendous effort on a team that had no one who even comes close to matching Womack's ball handling skills.

The 3RD PLACE FINISHER IN 15AAA beats mighty 16AAA East (they may have been 2nd) and moves on to the State Tournament.

Bartlett hasn't posted yet so Millington must have won...

Millington won 42 to 22 after trailing 12 to 7 in the first quarter. Jasmine Newsome got Region MVP and LaTesa McLaughlin got All Region Tournament Team. Great Defense ladies to hold them to 5 points in the second and third quarter and zero in the 4th. Jasmine James got All tournament team too.

Well I was half right. I picked East, but Houston delivered the knock-out punch even without its starting point guard. I did pick Millington over Bartlett--though I never would have predicted a 5 point half or a scoreless 4th quarter.

At the East-Houston game, I was impressed by how focused the Houston girls were. While East caused some turnovers, the Houston girls didn't get rattled, didn't try to do anything fancy, just played smart, fundamental ball. Of course, it does help to have Sarah Watkins, their 6'2" center. She seems to play better almost every time I see her. She was MVP, no surprise to anyone. East looked flat. Did they underestimate the suburban girls? Houston has now come into the "hood" in Memphis and beat Northside, Melrose and now East. They certainly didn't seem intimidated tonight.

I'm sure the Saturday games will be battles. Good luck to all 4 teams as they play to determine the 2 who will go on to State.

Well I was half right. I picked East, but Houston delivered the knock-out punch even without its starting point guard. I did pick Millington over Bartlett--though I never would have predicted a 5 point half or a scoreless 4th quarter.

At the East-Houston game, I was impressed by how focused the Houston girls were. While East caused some turnovers, the Houston girls didn't get rattled, didn't try to do anything fancy, just played smart, fundamental ball. Of course, it does help to have Sarah Watkins, their 6'2" center. She seems to play better almost every time I see her. She was MVP, no surprise to anyone. East looked flat. Did they underestimate the suburban girls? Houston has now come into the "hood" in Memphis and beat Northside, Melrose and now East. They certainly didn't seem intimidated tonight.

I'm sure the Saturday games will be battles. Good luck to all 4 teams as they play to determine the 2 who will go on to State.

That's what stands out for me the most about Houston. Not once, even when East came back at the end of regulation and tied it up on a last second bucket, did Houston appear rattled. You'd think that without their only real ball handler, one that can dribble with left or right, they'd get rattled by East's aggressive defense. They looked a lot like some of the middle tennessee teams I've seen - just play basic fundamental ball in a disciplined fashion.

Funny you should mention that East looked flat. I got the same impression. They were not as mentally sharp as Houston. I suppose at this time of year, the girls have played a lot of basketball and some of the players are burning out. Just a guess.

Millington defeated Bartlett 42-22 tonight holding the Lady Panthers to five 2nd half points and ZERO points in the fourh quarter.

This sets up the following Sub State Matchups:

East travels to Millington

Bartlett travels to Houston

Congrats to Millington. Well done.

Actually Rob, the thing that impresses me about ya'll is the team's ability to pull the ball out and milk clock. To have the ball handlers to do that and not mentally check out is tougher than it sounds. If I'm not mistaken the Millington offense in the majority of the 4th was to operate with all 5 players outside the 3 point line , mostly staying off the wings , and chewing clock. I'm not sure many team's good do that without eventually turning it over. They played a great game.

Anyway, it was good to see you as always. May we both journey to MTSU. Hopefully I'll be over this flu by then. Ha!

Congrats to Millington. Well done.

Actually Rob, the thing that impresses me about ya'll is the team's ability to pull the ball out and milk clock. To have the ball handlers to do that and not mentally check out is tougher than it sounds. If I'm not mistaken the Millington offense in the majority of the 4th was to operate with all 5 players outside the 3 point line , mostly staying off the wings , and chewing clock. I'm not sure many team's good do that without eventually turning it over. They played a great game.

Anyway, it was good to see you as always. May we both journey to MTSU. Hopefully I'll be over this flu by then. Ha!

Ouch! That hurt! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Millington stung the Lady Panthers in the second half. Turnovers early in the second quarter set the tone for Millington and carried over to the second half. It is one thing to get dead ball turnovers (which still allows your defense to get back and set up) but it is another thing to turn the ball over and allow Millington score quick transition baskets which basically gave them a lead going into the fourth.

Honestly: Millington spread the floor in the fourth quarter and probably took a minute off the clock every position. Bartlett??™s half court defense isn??™t predicated on making the opponent turn the ball over but it is based on containment and allowing the opponent to take one shot and rebound. Our pressure half court did not bother Millington in the fourth and it allowed them to basically milk the whole quarter.

GREAT GREAT job Lady Trojans ??“ Now we can cheer each other on.

As far as Sub-States: Bartlett actually matches up well with Houston. Bartlett has strong low post defense that can keep a post from catching the ball deep in the paint for easy baskets and Bartlett can definitely score from the perimeter with Houston. No disrespect to Houston which is a GREAT team - but this is actually the better matchup for Bartlett.

Bartlett won the first meeting against Houston this year at Houston (without JJ). However, we know both of these teams are totally different now.

Bartlett is missing Lauren Croom immensely.

Bartlett temporarily down but definitely not out. (We never play two sub-par games in a row). /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Good luck to all on Saturday. Go 14AAA! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> tick...tock tick....tock, get ya popcorn ready! (hehehe)

Pantherbert....I agree with you about the Offense in the 4th quarter. Latesa, Jasmine and company did and excellent job milking the clock and then gettting a good look at the basket. Ashley Robinson had a very nice game on the boards and Olivia Maddox contained JJ in the second half. I don't think that you ever shut JJ down, but to hold her to only 2pts in the 2nd half was quite impressive.

Good luck the rest of the away...I would love nothing more than to have a ROUND 5 in the Finals of the State of Tournament. Both teams will have their hands full Saturday that's for sure. I feel much better about both of our chances in winning substate games this year than I did last year. I was hopeful that we would win last year. I am confident that we both can will win this year. GO 14AAA!!!