Combination Plan

ELA

ELA...If I understand this right, at the end of this plan, privates and publics wouldn`t compete against each other in the playoffs. If that is the case then all your hard work is for nothing IMO. Why don`t you come up with a plan that they can compete against each other? If a multiplier (which is not fair in anyone`s rational thinking is eventually used) then will you quit your complaining?????

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EGO... the numbers don't matter in the regular season because there would be no forced region games! You pick who you want to play... period. Forget the numbers for now and look at the plan! By the way, the numbers listed are as follows:

A. Public schools = student body population from Jan 2002.

B. Non-Financial Aid Private schools = student

population X 1.5

C. Financial Aid Private Schools = student body population X 2

ELA..I hate to tell you, but overall the "merit system" has had a more overall favorable response. It`s fair and it includes public and private. It doesn`t discriminate like your plan does. It is based on competition and not biases like your plan does. It`s "inclusive" rather than "seclusive". It`s more open minded than yours. If you disagree, then post it on "the merit system" thread. The merit system makes sense. It answers everyone of your complaints about ther current system, except for the fact you hate playing private schools.

panfan, you yourself said that not every private school is alike. I don't particularly like the scenario I set up, but come on! Don't start being hypocritical.

How can we simply go by the numbers? That is why there is a debate in the first place! "Private schools in 1A and 2A have an advantage over the public schools"-generic quote. If we go by the numbers then we have BA playing in 2A. Is that fair? Seriously?

Even if you are using a multiplier system there would be inequalities. So I say bring the human element into the equation. Why make a small private school move up with the rest of them if they have no realistic chance of competeing?

You know what? I've got it! If you want to go by the numbers , fine. But let's use the numbers that really get people's attention...$$$$$$$.

Let's set the price for each classification differently. 1A schools can only charce $2.50, 2A schools $3, 3A schools $3.50, 4A schools $4, and 5A school $6. That way there will be a motivating factor for schools to move up! I mean the 4A and 5A games are the best draws anyway. Think about it. My school generally gets 4,000 to 5,000 people in attendance. Multiply that by $6 and at least five games a year and you get (drum roll).....(hold on, I've gotta get my calculator)....(dang, its solar powered).....$120,000 to $150,000 in one season. In contrast a 1A school, with good attendance, would probably only get about $25,000 to $50,000 a season (I assume the average 1A school stadium seats fewer than 4,000 people and gets less than admirable attendance).

So, as my friend would say,"How 'bout dem apples?"

I like your post there just1, but there is just1 problem. That will never ever ever even be considered. To go through and say, ok you are terrible, you play 1A and then ok you are good you play 3A is silly. Numbers are the only way to go.

As far as ticket prices, I am not sure what you were trying to say with that, but I am sure you did not mean the literally. I just can't find what is inbetween the lines. Little help???

Volunteer General... can't you read? This is called the combination plan because everyone WILL compete in the playoffs in their respective classifications (A-AA-AAA-AAAA-AAAAA- AAAAAA), hence the reason for the six classes (instead of 8 class we presently have). You schedule whomever you want in the regular season as long as half of them are from your own class! You select which 8 games will count in the final score, so that two games may be used only for the gate or local rivalries! The purpose of the multiplier (as used in several other states) is to place private schools in a higher division to create a more fair and equitable system! I'm sorry you don't like it, but I think many private school supporters will love this system because it keeps (or puts) us all back together and ends the debate! You have six State Champions and it will only involve the best teams across the state! Public and private schools WILL play together in the playoffs under this system! As I see it, the Multiplier is the only way to go without a split! You are one of only two people on this website that I have heard that doesn't like the multiplier! Why all this headache... because this is what I do for a living, it is not a passing "fancy" in my life. My life work is coaching football and I don't do it, or talk about it, as a hobby! It is the driving passion that makes my life have value! Some people fish, I coach! It is what I do.

This is by far the fairest plan I have seen yet, other then a total split. ELA spent a lot of time on this and it makes sence. I don't think that anybody would be hurting for competition, and the best 1a privae schools could compete and do real well in 3a. They might not get a state championship every year, but hey, who does.

Why can't it work both ways? A Brentwood Academy can move up because they know they can compete at a higher level. So why can't a school move down or stay down? If one is going to say "go by the numbers" then fine, but let's go by the numbers. If BA(or whomever) can say "we can move" why can't others move? No one argues that BA is capable and should be at the 5A level. Who would argue that Lighthouse belongs at the 1A level? It just seems contradictory to me, that's all.

As far as the second portion of my post: yeah that was probably my most sarcastic post of all time. Worth thinking about though. Let's take a school like Portland for example. They could play with a lot(if not most) 5A teams, yet they are in 3A. If playing at a higher level meant more revenue for the athletic department don't you think they would do it?

I know it's not realistic, just some silly guy's spur of the moment thought.

Panfan, I'm not tring to argue with you just for the sake of argueing or anything, so don't go all nutty on me. Stay calm and use the force.

Just1NP... I know you know this, but under the present system, any school can move up by petitioning the TSSAA (by a certain date) to do so; however, no one can move down. Two years ago, Lighthouse tried to make a move to Division II, but it was after the TSSAA placed them in DI-Region 5A and their request was after the required date, so they were denied. Since we are on a four year plan, they will have to wait until the next cycle to make the request again. I hope that by that time, we will have a new system in place like the one I have suggested here!

P.S. Don't worry about Panfan... just like many of us, he gets carried away some time!

I was refering mainly to any new hypothetical plan. I just don't see why, in the future, it can't go both ways.

A multiplier system would hurt any school(private or public) that can not win at the lowest possible classification. Going "by the numbers" is okay, but we are people that have the ability to make necessary adjustments under certain circumstances. That's why people dread tax season! Because of all the things one must go through to make it fair for himself!Exemptions here, exemptions there, exemptions everywhere. The government knows that we don't live in a black and white world, why can't the TSSAA see that?

I know it could( should sat WOULD) cause a large headache for a lot of people, but shouldn't fairness be our goal? Yeah, let's strive to keep it practical, but at least make an effort to think of every school individually.

I think a petition could be made within two weeks after the numbers are released for any school that should feel the need to lower itself by one classification. The Board of Control could review each request or deny it without review?