Bearden vs Oak Ridge

twhoops

I will chime in and say I agree. Maryville Rebs handled themselves as well in defeat as in success, and they are more familiar with the success routine!

Strictly concerning Maryville boy's basketball this season ... I cannot wholeheartedly agree witht his statement for THIS season. If you were at Bearden v Maryville II--at Maryville--I thought certain Maryville players, at times, behaved as poorly as Bearden.

Go ahead and string me up folks ... I'm just making an honest assessment. William Blount had their moments this season as well--I own that--so don't call me "the pot calling the kettle black."

They are all just kids ... and they need to know that they are accountable for their actions ... ideally, a huge part of this will come from parents, but when that isn't the case ... coaches need to step up and put an end to some of the trash-talking, gesturing, etc. It gets worse every year it seems.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strictly concerning Maryville boy's basketball this season ... I cannot wholeheartedly agree witht his statement for THIS season. If you were at Bearden v Maryville II--at Maryville--I thought certain Maryville players, at times, behaved as poorly as Bearden.

Go ahead and string me up folks ... I'm just making an honest assessment. William Blount had their moments this season as well--I own that--so don't call me "the pot calling the kettle black."

They are all just kids ... and they need to know that they are accountable for their actions ... ideally, a huge part of this will come from parents, but when that isn't the case ... coaches need to step up and put an end to some of the trash-talking, gesturing, etc. It gets worse every year it seems.

The point of the previous post was to give credit to how Maryville handled the loss to Oak Ridge. They handled the loss very well and, as a parent, I couldn't be prouder of how the Rebels acted. That game was extremely intense, yet I saw no trash talking, gesturing, cheap shots, faking fouls, etc. It was a very clean, hard played game and the Rebels displayed tremendous class, in defeat, IMO, as did Oak Ridge in victory, I might add.

There was some talking and gesturing going on in the Bearden-Maryville game you mentioned but it wasn't out of hand, in my opinion, at least from what I saw. I don't like it either, but I don't think it is any worse today than in years past. In fact, I think player behavior is better now than it used to be. I remember actual fights breaking out in games, fairly often in fact. You hardly ever see fights anymore. I don't know about you, but I would rather see a little talking and gesturing than fights on the court anyday.

Since the Rebels behavior has been called into question, let me close with this. I went to every Maryville game this year. As I recall, Maryville as a team ( players and staff) only had one technical foul assessed all year. That was against Aaron Douglas in the district tournament when he responded after someone deliberately kicked him. To me, technical fouls is a very tangible way to measure court demeanor. I wonder how many teams have as good of a record as Maryville this year in that regard? Hopefully many but I would say most do not.

I know I am biased for Maryville but I believe the Maryville players and staff deserve commendation for their behavior this year, not condemnation.

P.s. Sorry to hijack the Bearden-Oak Ridge thread but I wanted to stick up for the Rebels.

The point of the previous post was to give credit to how Maryville handled the loss to Oak Ridge. They handled the loss very well and, as a parent, I couldn't be prouder of how the Rebels acted. That game was extremely intense, yet I saw no trash talking, gesturing, cheap shots, faking fouls, etc. It was a very clean, hard played game and the Rebels displayed tremendous class, in defeat, IMO, as did Oak Ridge in victory, I might add.

There was some talking and gesturing going on in the Bearden-Maryville game you mentioned but it wasn't out of hand, in my opinion, at least from what I saw. I don't like it either, but I don't think it is any worse today than in years past. In fact, I think player behavior is better now than it used to be. I remember actual fights breaking out in games, fairly often in fact. You hardly ever see fights anymore. I don't know about you, but I would rather see a little talking and gesturing than fights on the court anyday.

Since the Rebels behavior has been called into question, let me close with this. I went to every Maryville game this year. As I recall, Maryville as a team ( players and staff) only had one technical foul assessed all year. That was against Aaron Douglas in the district tournament when he responded after someone deliberately kicked him. To me, technical fouls is a very tangible way to measure court demeanor. I wonder how many teams have as good of a record as Maryville this year in that regard? Hopefully many but I would say most do not.

I know I am biased for Maryville but I believe the Maryville players and staff deserve commendation for their behavior this year, not condemnation.

P.s. Sorry to hijack the Bearden-Oak Ridge thread but I wanted to stick up for the Rebels.

NormanDale,

Obviously, I respect your opionion tremendously. I'm sure the Rebels handled their loss to OR with class and integrity ... I know the players (such as yours) have been brought up to act that way... and I know Mark demands as much as well.

I agree with you on "a little talking and gesturing" being better than fights breaking out. Your point about technical fouls is well take also ... I know WB received 3 or 4 this season, so you guys obviously did better in that respect than we did.

But I will not retract my personal opinion that in the second Bearden game, Maryville dished out as much talking and gesturing as they received and I personally thought it was a little overboard on both sides. I did not have the opportunity to watch them play all year though, so I will qualify my statement to reflect that one particular game. And I suppose I disagree with you on your opinion that behavior has improved. Yes, there may be less actual fighting, but the talking seems worse than ever to me.

I appogize for "condemning" the Rebels, I certainly didn't intend that. I was really looking forward to getting to cheer for them again down at Murfreesboro, just as I did last season.

Appreciate you sticking up for your team ... they're a quality group of young men and they've represented MHS well overall, I know that.

NormanDale,

Obviously, I respect your opionion tremendously. I'm sure the Rebels handled their loss to OR with class and integrity ... I know the players (such as yours) have been brought up to act that way... and I know Mark demands as much as well.

I agree with you on "a little talking and gesturing" being better than fights breaking out. Your point about technical fouls is well take also ... I know WB received 3 or 4 this season, so you guys obviously did better in that respect than we did.

But I will not retract my personal opinion that in the second Bearden game, Maryville dished out as much talking and gesturing as they received and I personally thought it was a little overboard on both sides. I did not have the opportunity to watch them play all year though, so I will qualify my statement to reflect that one particular game. And I suppose I disagree with you on your opinion that behavior has improved. Yes, there may be less actual fighting, but the talking seems worse than ever to me.

I appogize for "condemning" the Rebels, I certainly didn't intend that. I was really looking forward to getting to cheer for them again down at Murfreesboro, just as I did last season.

Appreciate you sticking up for your team ... they're a quality group of young men and they've represented MHS well overall, I know that.

Govman

I have tremendous respect for your opinion as well and since you have had the best seat in the house for at least half your games for many years, you probably are more qualified than I am to speak about the issue of on court behavior over the years.

Also, let me clarify completely..... I am totally against taunting, gesturing, and other forms of bad sportsmanship on the basketball court. I don't deny there was some talking/gesturing going on in the game you mentioned.

But I, too, stand by my belief that that type of behavior was an exception and not the rule and Coach Eldridge, his staff, and his players behaved themselves in a very sportsmanlike manner this year.

Govman

I have tremendous respect for your opinion as well and since you have had the best seat in the house for at least half your games for many years, you probably are more qualified than I am to speak about the issue of on court behavior over the years.

Also, let me clarify completely..... I am totally against taunting, gesturing, and other forms of bad sportsmanship on the basketball court. I don't deny there was some talking/gesturing going on in the game you mentioned.

But I, too, stand by my belief that that type of behavior was an exception and not the rule and Coach Eldridge, his staff, and his players behaved themselves in a very sportsmanlike manner this year.

I love you Norman Dale. I'm glad we're gonna get to maybe spend a little more time together this spring. It should be fun.

I love you Norman Dale. I'm glad we're gonna get to maybe spend a little more time together this spring. It should be fun.

Man, you guys are so polite. That was the most well-written, polite argument that I have ever read. You guys might be a bit over-educated to be on here with guys like myself.

Man!!You take this posting stuff way too serious. If your going to make a post that guarantees a win by one team, and if that team doesn't win, you shoud be prepared to hear about it, for the future you'll need thicker skin than you've shown today though. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

And when you speak of class, none of my post mentions players (16,17,18 year old kids) or what they have or have not done on the court or ball field. It's easy to post tough behind a screen name on a computer. "And that's all I have to say about that" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Hello....I do not know what you mean. Furthermore, I do not post behind a screen name. If you will do your homework, you will see that my name, position, and phone number are on this board somewhere. So don't give me that nonsense. By the way, bad news for you. I am feeling OR by 17 tonight. BOOK IT.

Hello....I do not know what you mean. Furthermore, I do not post behind a screen name. If you will do your homework, you will see that my name, position, and phone number are on this board somewhere. So don't give me that nonsense. By the way, bad news for you. I am feeling OR by 17 tonight. BOOK IT.

ETCoache's skin is so thick ... you could stab him with an ice pick and he wouldn't even feel it! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> He has certainly never "hid behind a screen name". And for a former validictorian to infer that I'm "over-educated" ... what an honor. I'm humbled. Truthfully, I fear that in a true debate, Norman Dale could take me with half of his brain tied behind his back.

By the way, ET, am available for any "pinch-hitting" duties that may become available during baseball season this year. I enjoyed that last one opportunity last season.

ETCoache's skin is so thick ... you could stab him with an ice pick and he wouldn't even feel it! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> He has certainly never "hid behind a screen name". And for a former validictorian to infer that I'm "over-educated" ... what an honor. I'm humbled. Truthfully, I fear that in a true debate, Norman Dale could take me with half of his brain tied behind his back.

By the way, ET, am available for any "pinch-hitting" duties that may become available during baseball season this year. I enjoyed that last one opportunity last season.

You'll be the first guy off the bench if Stan can't make it for whatever reason. You are right...you would get smoked by NDale. With genes like his we have no chance.

Man, you guys are so polite. That was the most well-written, polite argument that I have ever read. You guys might be a bit over-educated to be on here with guys like myself.

I felt like I finally arrived when I got to do a little message board sparring with the famed Govman. I think you are right etcoach...... it was a very civil debate. I think we proved that there can be some rational discussion of issues between Gov and Reb, although I am considered by most as a mutant Reb.

Seriously, I consider the Govman as the ultimate voice of reason on this internet site.

BTW, etcoach, JD said he still wants you in ping pong. I tried to get him to play some yesterday afternoon but for some reason he opted for some mixed doubles tennis down at the park. Go figure.

I felt like I finally arrived when I got to do a little message board sparring with the famed Govman. I think you are right etcoach...... it was a very civil debate. I think we proved that there can be some rational discussion of issues between Gov and Reb, although I am considered by most as a mutant Reb.

Seriously, I consider the Govman as the ultimate voice of reason on this internet site.

BTW, etcoach, JD said he still wants you in ping pong. I tried to get him to play some yesterday afternoon but for some reason he opted for some mixed doubles tennis down at the park. Go figure.

Hopefully you will be able to front him, because he is going to need a lot by the end of the match.