Bearden vs Oak Ridge

twhoops

Cmon' please tell me that as a 17 year old kid, that you did not get caught up in that stuff. They still have a year to develop before going off to college....they will learn to play with class and when they do, the rest of the state best be ready

Pardon me for answering for someone else, But NO!! Class is not something that a kid learns in a year. Maybe I'm way too old (42), but in my day, in my school, there was no way. My parents, my coaches, and my teammates would not have stood for choke signs and other jestures. That's not to say we didn't quietly let our opponents know they would be in for a long night, but nothing that the crowd could see.

It's not just Bearden, but a societal thing. I little more discipline from early childhood might help.

I showed my butt in a game once. ONCE! I got into a baseball fight with Roger Maris' teenage son after breaking up a double play. My coach chewed right there AND I had to go in the stands with the other kid so Mr. Maris could rip us. Then my parents let me know they didn't apprciate my actions and my coach ran me till I nearly died.

I teach my kids the right way to conduct themselves on the field or the court and they'll probably never play college ball. They will be better people because being a "punk" is not tolerated.

Man, I feel better to get that off my chest.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon me for answering for someone else, But NO!! Class is not something that a kid learns in a year. Maybe I'm way too old (42), but in my day, in my school, there was no way. My parents, my coaches, and my teammates would not have stood for choke signs and other jestures. That's not to say we didn't quietly let our opponents know they would be in for a long night, but nothing that the crowd could see.

It's not just Bearden, but a societal thing. I little more discipline from early childhood might help.

I showed my butt in a game once. ONCE! I got into a baseball fight with Roger Maris' teenage son after breaking up a double play. My coach chewed right there AND I had to go in the stands with the other kid so Mr. Maris could rip us. Then my parents let me know they didn't apprciate my actions and my coach ran me till I nearly died.

I teach my kids the right way to conduct themselves on the field or the court and they'll probably never play college ball. They will be better people because being a "punk" is not tolerated.

Man, I feel better to get that off my chest.

I've seen guys come into the college I was at as 18 year old boys with no class and leave as some of the finest gentleman that I have ever met....so yes, they can be taught in one year.....PRECIATE YA!!!!!

I've seen guys come into the college I was at as 18 year old boys with no class and leave as some of the finest gentleman that I have ever met....so yes, they can be taught in one year.....PRECIATE YA!!!!!

Let's see, enter college at 18 with no class, learn class in one year, leave as a gentleman. Where can I find this one year institution of higher education and dignity training? But lets start over and pretend I know what you meant -

You are absolutely right. But I'd be willing to bet some college coach showed him some tough love and discipline. Probably over a greater period of time than a year. In college, the next guy is just as good as you are and character goes a long way. Its a lot easier to let the high school prima donna act any way he pleases.

My problem is not so much with the kid, but the coach and community that tolerates that stuff. Its a real tough line to walk. Some kids may just quit if they are faced with discipline.

I think you have to agree that for every one kid that turns his attitude around and suceeds in life, they're are ten high school superstars that either don't qualify, flunk out, get in trouble, get tossed off the team and are never heard from again until you read about them in the jail log. But they played great high school ball. The shame of it is, I see 9 and 10 year kids headed that way everyday.

Cmon' please tell me that as a 17 year old kid, that you did not get caught up in that stuff. They still have a year to develop before going off to college....they will learn to play with class and when they do, the rest of the state best be ready

Maybe I read this wrong, but I thought you meant in the next year they will develop class and the rest of the state should get ready. My bad, you must have meant when they will go to college with no class and leave as a gentleman after one year. What was I thinking?

As an Oak Ridge fan, I haven't seen a single team show less class than Bearden did. Even Clinton, who we have a bitter rivalry with (football, anyone) didn't say anything to the fans. That is just unacceptable in my opinion.

I will chime in and say I agree. Maryville Rebs handled themselves as well in defeat as in success, and they are more familiar with the success routine!

I will chime in and say I agree. Maryville Rebs handled themselves as well in defeat as in success, and they are more familiar with the success routine!

Thanks for the props. A lot of credit for that goes to Maryville's coaches. Mark Eldridge will never put up with his players acting a fool. The same goes for George Quarles.

Maybe I read this wrong, but I thought you meant in the next year they will develop class and the rest of the state should get ready. My bad, you must have meant when they will go to college with no class and leave as a gentleman after one year. What was I thinking?

yeah something like that....NEXT!!!!!

Let's see, enter college at 18 with no class, learn class in one year, leave as a gentleman. Where can I find this one year institution of higher education and dignity training? But lets start over and pretend I know what you meant -

Try a college just up the road from Knoxville....Carson-Newman....if you don't know, then you don't know

Sir, could you please remind me of some more negative OR posts. How about the one where I mention Ricky, Travis, and Wes being 3 outstanding guys on the bench. How about the one where I said you guys won the coaching battle last night. How about the one where I said regardless of last night's outcome, OR would make it to the state tournament. So when you say "All of your posts are negative towards OR" maybe you have a reading disability or you just read what you want to. I have no disrespect towards OR at all. I think you guys have a great school with great tradition. All I said was that I thought Bearden would win the game by double digits. Now you obviously have done your best to spin that as if I have some great hatred towards the Cats, but that is not true. I also am aware that you guys have a great football tradition and that WB has beaten you guys only twice. I was wondering who out of the Cat faithful would make it a point today to rub in my poor prediction. What you do not know is that if Bearden would have won, I would not have even looked at this thread today. You, Mr. Catback do not know how to keep your mouth shut after a win. Why don't you take some lessons from Clary. He knows how to win with class.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />