Marshall Co. 44, Milan 35 - Tigerettes AA Champs

PageMan

Sorry about your injury Pageman.

My thoughts:

1)Gray and Poston both can flat-out play. Gray can make some plays similar to Goss and Marsh from A-E.

2)Marshall Co. was the better team. They made the plays when it counted.

3)Refs were horrible both ways. Its sad to have the 8 best teams in the state and have the 3 worst refs.

4)How does McKenna Moffet not get any recognition? Sure she doesn't have the greatest stats in the world, but she managed the game greatly and always keeps Marshall Co. under control.

5)Congrats to the Tigerettes. This has been the goal since making it to the finals last year, and they came through. I don't see how they were somewhat overlooked by some fans going into the tournament.

I think you mean they can make plays similar to Gray! lol

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Sharpshooter, I have tried to be accurate in my reports, but I know I missed some things in every game. My reports do not include "Dead Ball Rebounds" where a team gets a rebound on a missed foul shot when shooting two FT's and where the ball goes out of bounds under the goal and no individual actually controls the ball. Computer scoring programs require a rebound on any missed FT or shot, which in my opinion, slighty inflates the number of rebounds for a team. Scoring of assists can also be subjective so my assists may not match "official" assists.

I am sorry that I had to miss this championship game as I twisted my knee as I slipped on my snow-covered steps after retuning home after the semi-final games. When I got up the next day, I could hardly walk and I knew that I would be unable to climb the steps in front of the Murphy Center. I watched the games on TV instead, but it's not like being there in person.

I hope that I will be back for next year's season, but there are several factors that may keep me from doing so. I will not be doing baseball at all this coming season as I must return to NC to be with my mother who is 93 and did not know who I was during my Christmas visit. I feel that I must spend time with her.

Good bye for now and thanks to all the people who have helped me this season.

Sorry about your injury Pageman and hope you are good as new real soon! Sorry to hear about your mother in NC also...spending time with aging parents is one of the greatest gifts we can give them! You take care please and I will hopefully be seeing those informative posts of your next season! Take Care, auntkim

Congrats, Tigerettes!!! You proved that you were, in fact, the best team in the state in AA. You were the bridesmaid last year and had all the pressure on you with all 5 starters returning this year but you never waivered!!!!

That school north of the Duck River (FHS) had themselves penciled in as Single A state champs for 07 and 08 after they slipped into one in 2006. They cracked under the pressure both years while you met expectations this year!!!!! Now maybe they'll come off their high horse and realize that the "epicenter" of high school girl's bball is not in chapel hill, TN. lol

Sorry about your injury Pageman.

My thoughts:

1)Gray and Poston both can flat-out play. Gray can make some plays similar to Goss and Marsh from A-E.

2)Marshall Co. was the better team. They made the plays when it counted.

3)Refs were horrible both ways. Its sad to have the 8 best teams in the state and have the 3 worst refs.

4)How does McKenna Moffet not get any recognition? Sure she doesn't have the greatest stats in the world, but she managed the game greatly and always keeps Marshall Co. under control.

5)Congrats to the Tigerettes. This has been the goal since making it to the finals last year, and they came through. I don't see how they were somewhat overlooked by some fans going into the tournament.

Sincere congratulations go to all the Tigerettes (also including those who practice against the starters each day to make them better) and Coach Steely and Coach West. This is an incredible group of fine young ladies, not just great basketball players, who have represented our school and community with class. We are so proud of all of you!

Your #4 question is right on. If you are not a careful observer, you will not be aware of the total dependence our team has on McKenna to get the ball down the court, watch for the open person, call the play, and get the job done. She is the first female athlete (that I am aware of) in school history to be a starter on a State Championship team in two sports. In her four years as a starter on both the basketball and softball teams, she can claim a State Championship in softball, third place in state in softball, runner-up in State Championship in basketball, and 2008 STATE CHAMPIONS in basketball.

She also is graduating with High Honors and has signed with Martin Methodist, along with teammate Jessica McQueen, to play basketball next year.

To McKenna and all the Tigerettes, it is what it is and you are the real thing.

How does Moffett not get any recognition? HOW DOES HOPKINS A.K.A "THE GLOVE" NOT GET ANY? I'm glad to see that she FINALLY made the all state tournament team. You win games on the defensive end. Offensive sells the tickets. She stopped some of the best players all year including state tournments (Butler-Bolivar, Lambert-McMinn, and Gray-Milan). She is not a selfish ballplayer by any means. Most ballplayers are only looking to score because that is what makes the headlines. Hopkins is an all-around team player (Like the rest of the girls on the squad) I'm so glad that everyone got a chance to see the "UNDERDOGS" in action. Those girls have played through alot of adversity thru the years. The deserved the GOLD BALL! TIGERETTES, TIGERETTES, HEEEY, 1-2-3 BRING IT (OR SHOULD I SAY BROUGHT IT)

For the majority of the game, the refs let BOTH teams play and there were not many fouls called....I believe where you are seeing the disparity is when , at the end of the game, Milan was fouling on purpose to try and regain possession. Both teams played a very good game, Marshall County held on for the win and I am thrilled for them.

If it weren't for the refs horrible calls, the Milan Lady Bulldogs would have won the game for sure because everybody knows that Milan is the better team. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

/flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> The better team DID win on Saturday Night. Forget the Ref's, Milan got outplayed, especially in the 4th quarter. What you fail to realize is that good teams are made up of more than one or two great players. Giving Poston and Gray their props, they made up the majority of the Milan team. As far as fouls, they had to foul and that is why there were so many fouls called. I know Milan fans don't want to admit it, /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> but Marshall County was hungrier and determined to win and they played like it. No matter what, game over - the Gold Ball is in Marshall County, along with the Silver Ball from last year. We do deserve it and we will always remember the wonderful experiences of being at the State. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

If it weren't for the refs horrible calls, the Milan Lady Bulldogs would have won the game for sure because everybody knows that Milan is the better team. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Honey Hush!!!! It is what it is!!! The Marshall County Tigerettes are and will always be the 2008 AA State Champions!!! Oh yea, let me tell you a little secret, everybody doesn't know that Milan is the better team, I was told that Marshall and McMinn Central was the 2 best teams, unfortunately these 2 teams ended up in the same bracket.

After watching the tourney, Milan wouldn't be in my top 3.

1)Marshall Co.

2)McMinn Cent.

3)Austin East

Milan would have been 4th. Milan mas basically a two girl team. Now those two are extremely good, but you need more help. Austin East is also basically two girls, but those two girls make plays you might never see again.

Too bad all 3 had to end up in the same bracket.

Hey page man - can u look back - I'm just curiuos - to see IF CPA played MC the best/closest 1st quarter of the beginning of the playoffs - it was 11-11 after 1st qtr - just curious doesn't mean anything....... get well

Ok, Redog. Here is what I have on my scoresheets since the Region 5-AA Q-F where CPA did tie Marshall with 11 pts in the 1st qtr and only trailed by 7 at the half, 24-17.

Region 5-AA S-F: Marshall Co. 58, East Literature 30 - 1st qtr: Marshall 15-7

At the half: Marshall 30-15.

Region 5-AA Final: Marshall Co. 49, Hickman Co. 29 - 1st qtr: Marshall 16-4

At the half: Marshall 23-8.

Sectional: Marshall Co. 62, Bolivar Central 41 - 1st qtr: Marshall 18-10

At the half: Marshall 32-22.

State Q-F: Marshall Co. 74, Gibson Co. 45 - 1st qtr: Marshall 23-8

At the half: Marshall 42-15.

State S-F: Marshall Co. 45, McMinn Central 43 - 1st qtr: Marshall 14-7

At the half: Marshall 27-23.

State Final: Marshall Co. 44, Milan 35 - 1st qtr: Marshall 7-6

At the half: Marshall 19-18.

So you are correct that CPA played the closest 1st qtr against Marshall Co. during their run from the Regionals to the State Finals. I hope I understood your queston correctly.

I have amended this post to show the half time scores. CPA was third best. If CPA could have scored more points in the 3rd qtr and had a few less turnovers, it would have made for a very interesting 4th qtr, but they only had 4 pts. to Marshall's 15 and by the end of the 3rd qtr turnovers were Marshall 10, CPA 21. That's as far as I'm going to go with this.

Ok, Redog. Here is what I have on my scoresheets since the Region 5-AA Q-F where CPA did tie Marshall with 11 pts in the 1st qtr.

Region 5-AA S-F: Marshall Co. 58, East Literature 30 - 1st qtr: Marshall 15-7

Region 5-AA Final: Marshall Co. 49, Hickman Co. 29 - 1st qtr: Marshall 16-4

Sectional: Marshall Co. 62, Bolivar Central 41 - 1st qtr: Marshall 18-10

State Q-F: Marshall Co. 74, Gibson Co. 45 - 1st qtr: Marshall 23-8

State S-F: Marshall Co. 45, McMinn Central 43 - 1st qtr: Marshall 14-7

State Final: Marshall Co. 44, Milan 35 - 1st qtr: Marshall 7-6

So you are correct that CPA played the closest 1st qtr against Marshall Co. during their run from the Regionals to the State Finals. I hope I understood your queston correctly.

Yes you did awesome - thank you