Tournament Format

nebuntyn

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can lose 3 times and still make it to the Boro, or maybe worst win a state title.

You can lose in the district semis, the district consolation and the regional final. This is a very weak format.

I know not many people like the way the tournament format is. How else would the tournament go? As in, what kind of format would you personally make it?

I see your point, but I kind of disagree.

To me, I think you lessen the "fluke" element in this format. Yes, you can have that still happen in the sectionals (see Red Bank hitting 99 threes against White County), but its a lot less likely.

Its not like you're rewarding losses against bad teams. If you lose in the Region finals, you're probably losing to another really good opponent. Maybe one better than the team you'll see in the Sectionals. Which leads to............................

This format also does a good job of is exposing weak regions in the sectional cross-matchups.

Its not perfect, but its a decent enough format.

I know not many people like the way the tournament format is. How else would the tournament go? As in, what kind of format would you personally make it?

Back home we had a "one and done" format.

Two byes in the district tourney are drawn from a hat.

From there on you have

Districts - all games at the same gym, rotates every year

Regional - all games at the same gym. Usually a small college gym

QuarterFinals

SemiFinals

Finals - All three rounds at MSU.

There are 4 classes of schools, A B C D, with A being the largest.

This format has stood the same for MANY years. I try not to overtell this story, but when I was younger we had 2 Future NBA all-stars in the same city.

Earvin Johnson played at Lansing Everett (WOOOHOOO, my school)

Jay Vincent played across town at Lansing Eastern.

These teams would meet in the district tournament and there was one year where the losing team only played ONE tournament game and was DONE for the year. But the winner of this game, every knew, was the favorite to win the entire tourney.

Earvins team won this matchup every year. Their senior year they had to move the matchups between these teams to old Jenison Fieldhouse at Michigan State. Max seating was 11,000. They sold 13,000 tickets for that game, and had a line at the door that had to be turned away. The game was also on life TV.

The key was, they didnt play 3 times in the tourney, and if built the matchup into much bigger hype than it would have been if there was another chance to the loser to move on.

After these two graduated, it became Sam Vincent -v- Craig Field, with Sam finally getting his team a state championship.

BUT, the key to the TSSAA is MONEY. The more teams they keep around, the more games they have, and the more money in their pockets. Not saying that is wrong...just sayin.

I wouldn't be opposed to single elimination tournament format from districts on through. The whole sectional tournament where the 2nd place team gets another shot at state doesn't make alot of sense. It was single elimination at the beginning of region. The district format doesn't really bother me other than taking half the district to regions. Take the top 2.

The TSSAA has been all about reducing the number of games in the regular season while the post season is running into the next sport's season. I see a way to cut the post season in half and be done before March. I also hate the week the guys are sitting on their hands while the girls are playing. Every other part of the post season is run concurrently. Why change at the end and prolong the season by another week?

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It does seem kind of odd that you can win nothing but the state tournament like Moore Co. did in the old sectional form back in 1999. The one area I would change the process is by making the third place game an elimination game in each tournament round. This would stop teams from losing on purpose so they could avoid a certain opponent from their district or region. But this will not happen because it would cost the T$$AA a few dollars and we all know that is what that organization is all about.

As an old timer, I can remember my senior year when Riverside and Howard played 5 times that year with Riverside winning them all. The last time they met was in the State Finals after they beat everyone else. Seasons like that is why they take two from the region.

That's how it was for Clarkrange and Jackson County girls this year.