compare records

pujo

I'm not real key on those numbers, a lot of private schools play public schools because for the most part it is an easy win...my school only lost to one public school in the four years I was there, and that was an upset, doubt we would have scheduled them if we thought we were going to lose. I am just saying those numbers might be skewed some, but numbers dont lie.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caesar...Let me set you straight on something. Read this post carefully and try your best to comprehend it...ok?

There are a few very good private schools.

There are a few very good public schools.

Are you still with me?

You can throw out all those Nall numbers you want cause it`s a bunch of bunk!!! Reason being is that those "really good" private and public schools rule 1A.

Now here comes the tricky part.

Out of the rest of the schools in 1A (both public and private, there are some decent ones and the rest "are really bad". Now people like Indian would have you to believe that because there are only around 27% percent of private schools in 1A then that is the percentage of games they should win. Well he is wrong!!

Now hear this...The reason the numbers are skewed is that there are simply a whole lot more "really bad" public schools than "really bad" private schools. These schools won`t EVER win anything. They are in 1A because the TSSAA has to let them play and that is ok. But they will NEVER EVER have a realistic chance to win anything. Since there are so many more public schools that "are really bad" than private schools that "are really bad", naturally your going to have numbers that reflect ol` Earl`s numbers. When you have that many teams that are really really bad football teams, there ARE going to be a lot of losses. I don`t want to hear this percentage "bologna" from anyone. It`s a worn out excuse.

Ol` Earl had 7 public school`s in his top 12 last year. I`ve already said that there are some "really great" public and private schools. At the top it is pretty even. But after that you get into your eternally "really, really bad" schools. That`s pretty much all that`s left in 1A with the exception of a few marginal schools. If there weren`t a fairly equal amount of good public schools at the top of 1A, then you may have some reason to whine. But the fact is that in the 90`s public schools did take 7 out of the 10 championships.

Now Caesar...the reason this happened was that there are 1A public schools that can compete and win over private schools. It`s not private school`s fault, that the majority of 1A schools are really bad. There are just as many good public schools as private schools in 1A.The fact that privates won the last two....well good for them. Now it`s the public school`s time to kick butt. Of course this is only if you are into reallying worrying that a private school wins a championship or not.

You can take your Earl Nall stats and shove them on the other side of Roan Mountain for all I care. I`m just a little weary of the incessant whining on your part. It`s so obvious from post like yours and pujo`s and others, that you don`t really understand private schools. I know you don`t believe it, but it is true. Like someone posted, it`s laughable of things you say about private schools. You don`t know how silly you make yourself look.

I`ve tried to be reasonable and play this private/public game. I offered a fair solution. I know it wasn`t exact, but the concept of promoting teams on merit is the only fair way to do it. Multipliers??? hey let`s just pick a number! 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 ??? It doesn`t matter because the only reason your multiplying a private schools numbers is the fact that they are private. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact of how good they are. And might I remind you that there are public schools in 1A every bit as good as the private ones???

This whole fuss about private schools is utterly ridiculous. I`m ashamed as a public parent to hear the things I do. I say that to let everyone know that not all parent`s who have kids in public schools are BIG WHINERS!!

VG

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 7/8/02 4:48P]

One thing I thought I'd add is that most(8 or 9 teams) of the private school in 1A are in the same region(4 I believe). So those schools only have maybe two games a year against public schools.

VG- you are not entirely wrong. There are a lot of schools in 1A that are not very good. But(refer to part one of post) most private schools have to compete with each other during the regular season. So year in and year out these private schools have to get better in order to keep up with the big dog in their regions. It is kind of like pitting the best of the SEC against the best(or worse) of the Big Sky Conference (or whatever). Private regions are far more fiercely competitive than that of the small rural schools' regions.

Does that support anyone's arguement? Maybe not. But it should be considered

Well I`ll only speak of things that I know about. USJ`s biggest rival in West TN is Bruceton. I think the Bruins have finally evened up the series in terms of wins and losses, but it is teams like Bruceton that have pushed USJ to get where they are today.(I`d be remiss not to mention Lake County as well even though they aren`t doing well at this time.) Also, it is teams like Trousdale putting the worst thumping in Clinic Bowl history on USJ that has pushed them even more.I think Jackson Christian has beaten USJ only 1 time ever. So, it has definitely been public schools pushing them. That being said, USJ just lost a tremendous class. I have no earthly idea how good they will be this year, but the senior class that just graduated had several good kids. Those kids are gone now though and USJ will have to move on. I think by the end of the season, Marley will have them competing only because he is such a great coach and motivator, but this is definitely a rebuilding year for them.

I looked at it and maybe saying private schools should win only 27 percent of games total isn't accurate. I don't know if I posted that before, if so (just like just now in a post I am editing, I shouldn't have). You have a winner and a loser in each game, if you said private schools should win 30 percent of the games just because there's that percentage of schools they should lose 30 percent of the games (if everything is equal) and of course that 'doesn't add up. If you have 10 private schools playing against 10 public schools in one random week, isn't doesn't matter that there are 3 times as many public schools in the division, it's only those 10 games that count at the time and each should win 5 games-things being equal. If the number goes way above 50 percent for private schools, then you'd have a problem and I don't remember/haven't read those results. I think that's right, I'm doing it without a calculator and with a headache ;). The high number of titles, not just in football and especially in recent years, don't add up however and can be compared to the number of teams in the division. The Nall stats make sense especially after seasons have ended and the list I read had a much higher percentage of private schools at the top level than one would expect from their small number 1A. It was also said here there are lots of bad public school teams in 1A, that's true, but there aren't many bad 1A private schools for some reason-not the actual number or percentage. That should also say something about what's going on in 1A. Again, from the Nall list for 1A, 12 of the 16 were rated at least in the top half of 1A after the season, 75 percent were rated at least average, more than twice what you could expect from their small number (16). Sorry if this is boring anyone, but numbers like these, and results such as 2 straight football and basketball titles, 4 baseball titles and 10+ softball titles should prove there is a competition problem in the smallest division.

[Edited by Indian on 7/8/02 5:53P

[Edited by Indian on 7/8/02 6:02P]

Volunteer General:

1A schools have a smaller school population (than higher classifications), and how the size of the school impacts the quality of teams should be self evident. Are you following me?

For example, a large 5A school's first string will usually beat a 1A school's first string because the 5A school has a larger student population. Are you following me?

One or two exceptional athletes can make a major difference on any TSSAA 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A or 1A football team. Are you following me?

There are several factors that take potential 1A athletes away from certain 1A schools. What gives private 1A schools a major advantage over rural (which are most of the 1A schools) 1A schools is the ability to put at least one or two, often more exceptional athletes on the field.

If you don't follow this logic, go talk to a 4A or 5A Head Football coach and ask him this question: "Do you want to compete against private schools? We are discussing moving most of the private schools up from 1A and 2A to 4A and 5A classifications."

I am willing to bet $100 that you are not talking to more than one or two (if any) 4A or 5A Head Coaches. They don't want to play against private schools. Neither do most 1A or 2A Head Coaches.

Do you follow me? Please let me know how many Head Coaches you are talkiing to about this issue.

Volunteer General:

If you didn't understand or disagree with my last post on classifications, perhaps this idea will move you to the "other side" of the argument:

Forget OVC, MAC, Pac 10, SEC, etc. Moreover, forget Division I, II or III -- regarding college football.

Let all teams play against each other, regardless of the school's size or budget.

Any objection to allowing (forcing?) all college football teams, regardless of size or classification to play against each other?

Why can't Tennessee Tech beat UT? Let Lambuth play against MTSU. Why not have Notre Dame play in the OVC? Why do you think the coaches of those schools would object to playing each other?

[Edited by StanTrott on 7/8/02 5:54P]

Volunteer General:

I am afraid you might be guilty of being intellectually dishonest.

Vanderbilt is not competitive, and an extreme example.

A better exampe would have Tennesssee Tech playing against Notre Dame, Stanford, GA Tech, Boston College, UT, Alabama, Ole Miss, etc.

Why have Division I, Division II and Division III classifications in NCAA-sanctioned football?

Are you afraid to answer the question?

That's why I am against a multiplier, and for a split. If Satterfield at Trousdale and Rankin at Riverdale, coaches at the best small school and large school publics for the last decade didn't want to play private schools in region play or the postseason, what do you think the coaches at average programs or worse think?

Stan...did you mean to say intellectual dishonesty?

Vandy is too competitive. Do you not think that they try hard to win???

Tennessee Tech is in a totally different division than those schools Stan. Does Perry County schedule MBA? Bad choice Stan! :^)

MTSU is playing UT and Bama this year. Do they have a chance? Probably not. Are they whining? No In fact MTSU was in 1AA and they chose to play in 1A. Why...because they wanted to be better. Do they have a chance to win?? Probably not, but they don`t whine do they???