compare records

pujo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just adding a few more figures to the discussion. These are the latest numbers I've seen. If you want to see the breakdown it is at http://enall.home.att.net/privpub.htm

From 1993-2000:

58 public schools are 0-221 (0%) against private schools in the past eight years.

139 of the 200 (69%) public schools that have played against private schools have a losing record against them.

26 of 35 (74%) private schools have a winning record against public schools.

Private schools have a 1040-546 (66%) winning record against public schools in the past eight years.

[Edited by coacht on 7/7/02 7:29P]

pioneer,

It is great to see you are learning.

What those numbers don't show is that alot of the teams the private schools were beating, so were the public schools. in other words, some public schools everyone beats. It would be like if you looked at public school records vs. lighthouse Christian. Publics have a big advantage over them.

What I am saying is all teams with losing records should be thrown out of those numbers. This is because they are getting beat by public schools also.

If you want to show a true advantage look at good teams vs. good teams.

Look at this past years playoffs. CPA, Boyd, DCA all lost to public schools. At least, I think that is right. Plus, I think Friendship lost to a public school also. In fact, I think every private school in the playoffs lost to a public school except USJ and Ezell. So, where is this domination now? The good public schools compete just fine with privates. I have news for all the terrible public schools that cry alot: this just in, eliminate the private schools and you still stink. You still won't win any titles. In fact, you'll start saying your fellow public schools cheat. Get over it. Find a way to win on your own, don't legislate out good competition.

I know everyone thinks that cloudland getting beat so bad shows private domination, but everyone should remember that there were about 5 teams better than them in the lower bracket. Ezell was clearly the best team and Cloudland was probably top 10.

CoachT...I love it when someone brings up those Earl Nall numbers from 1993-2000. It gives me the great opportunity to remind everyone that in the 90`s, public schools won 7 out of 10 football championships. This kind of correlates the time frame of those same Earl Nall numbers. That`s 70% of 1A championships. Don`t you just love statistics?

Statistics are good, but long term stats can be misleading just as short term ones can. Private schools won just 3 of 10 A and 1A titles in the 90s, true, but I don't think the last two won by CPA and EH should be forgotten in such a study since they're the most relevant. If you look at the last 10 years its 4 titles and 6 runner-ups by privates, with only around 25-30 percent of the teams in 1A/A. I think looking at whichever team wins it all is too narrow a measure of success when there are a few top notch teams every season, including teams like USJ which has been right there 3 times (and was probably the 2nd best team in 1A last year). Privates winning 3/10 is about right for the number of teams in the division, but 5 of the 10 runner-ups were private schools. One other thing, some of the Class A contenders weren't even relevant at all at the start of the 90s, they've just seemed to get their programs in gear the last few years and it will just continue. However, if you do think looking at the previous decade is a good measure, look at 2A. Private schools won 5 of 10 state titles in the 90s in AA and 2A, and had 4 runner-ups. I think there were around only 6 of 60 2A private school teams before the "partial split" (10 percent) and now there's just 2 (less than 5 percent) and they still had half of the titles in the 90s. Sure Brentwood Acad and Webb won 2 of those and they're not in the division, but Trousdale won 4 in A and 1A and they're not in that class now. Statistics are good.

I know a bit about numbers, probabilities, mathematical trends and so on...numbers can lie or at least be misleading but if you want to use the 1A decade you also have to use the 2A one. The 2A decade is even more out of whack since there's so fewer teams to throw into the mix and they still won 50 percent. I'd prefer to look at recent years for either class, since the teams are more likely to have the same coaching staffs, some of the same players, and the same winning tradition that they may not have had 10-12 years ago.

VOLUNTEER GENERAL, you simply refuse to evaluate the statistics that really count, i.e. total wins and losses over a long period. We are not just looking at the 7 championship games (7 games), we are looking at the hundreds of regular season and playoff games that were won by private schools (69%) when they only represented less than 15% of the total school composite! These are the real numbers that should be used! You can't really build a statistical case using only 7 games out of a hundred or more! Did you ever take a statistics class in college?