State Tourney Should Have Instant Replay

JohnJacob

First of all - I don't have a dog in this hunt. But I will say that it is rediculous that they do not allow for instant replay for all state tournament games. All of the games are filmed by the same company - every one of them. The technology is there so use it. The main deal is to get the call right when it comes to clock error or if a shot were a three or not. It looks to me from the photos that the three was indeed a three. The clock issue is another matter.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all - I don't have a dog in this hunt. But I will say that it is rediculous that they do not allow for instant replay for all state tournament games. All of the games are filmed by the same company - every one of them. The technology is there so use it. The main deal is to get the call right when it comes to clock error or if a shot were a three or not. It looks to me from the photos that the three was indeed a three. The clock issue is another matter.

You have a great point but could there already have been mistakes that caused a different team to be eliminated.

If it is not used all year, don't use it in tournament. The same concept could hold true about the 3 pt line. Next year on the college level isn't it going to be moved back. So let's move it back for the State at the boro...My dog is at home too.

Unless I am mistaken, only the schools videotape the quarterfinals this year. But, obvioously, it could be done.

I'd rather see a "competent" clock operator.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Look at how many mistakes were made last week and this week with the clock... Most of these mistakes were insignificant ---- as 'timing' errors are very forgiving in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter.... But when they occur in the final minute or two... well, CPA/Dyer Co. would be a perfect example...

Folks will easily place blame on the officials during the CPA/Dyer Co. game, and rightfully so up to a point.... But, that entire fiasco could have been eliminated or avoided had the state tournament clock operation done his job correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

The clock operator blew it and then the officials compounded the situation by blowing it too.

Minnesota uses instant replay for all the state tournament games, TSSAA should consider doing the same.

I'd rather see a "competent" clock operator.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Look at how many mistakes were made last week and this week with the clock... Most of these mistakes were insignificant ---- as 'timing' errors are very forgiving in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter.... But when they occur in the final minute or two... well, CPA/Dyer Co. would be a perfect example...

Folks will easily place blame on the officials during the CPA/Dyer Co. game, and rightfully so up to a point.... But, that entire fiasco could have been eliminated or avoided had the state tournament clock operation done his job correctly.

I tried to make this point in another thread...

Yes,there should be instant replay at the state tournament...They have the technology at that venue...Use it...And it doesn't matter if you have it during the tournament and not in the regular season....At least get calls right during the state tournament...Just use it for time issues and whether or not shots were three pointers or twos...

And if the T.$.$.A.A. wants everyone to be able to use instant replay let's play Instant Replay Games to pay for it just like the HOC games... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

If they use it during the tourney they need to use it all year.

The 3 pt. line should stay where it is for high school.

So since the tourney is all elimination should every regular season game be elimination as well? The state tournament is very different than the regular season. It's win or go home.

Every school cannot use instant replay during the regular season for so many reasons i'm not gonna start listing them. Obviously MTSU is equipped with the instant replay equipment, and when a toe or a few seconds is what sends one team home and advances the other, why would you not want to take a minute to get it right?

If using instant replay for threes...Would it be reviewd on the next dead ball or would the refs stop the game? They would have to stop the game because the next dead ball may never happen...game might end before a dead ball. Imagine a review after the game is over that changes the outcome and the reviewed call made by the refs is actually in dispute!!!!!Imagine a player hits a clean three (one where everybody in the gym knows the kid was a foot behind the line) with anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds left in the game to go up by 1, the refs stop the game to review the shot, other team is out of time outs but gets to talk to the coach and sets up a play while the refs are reviewing the shot. After the review the other team goes down and scores on a set play AND WINS...THEN WHAT!!!!!! Even if players were not allowed to go the the sidelines where the coach is all the coach has to do is signal a play in, not like the players aren't going to gather around each other and look at the coach for direction. NOWAY you review traveling and that is the one violation the refs miss the most,,,sometimes outright ignoring it when it is a clear violation and everybody in the gym can see it but the refs. What if a team travels 10 times and it's never called. That would be 10 turnovers but the refs ignored them all and the team in violation scored on 5 of those resulting in 10 to 15 points and here is the kicker....the team comminting all the walks wins by 2 or 3 points when they should have lost by 10+. A walk is a walk for both teams, a charge is a charge for both teams, a foul is a foul for both teams, a moving screen is a moving screen for both teams, a hand check is a hand check for both teams, a three second violation is a three second violation for both team,and on and on and on....The big issue I see is that refs are not consistent in calling games equally for both sides!!!!!! For the life of me I don't understand it because its kids but to many times refs actually favor one team over another. This stuff happens all the way from peewee sports to pro sports and it always has and allways will no matter who says otherwise. It's just the way it is. A ball game is 32 minutes...what about all the no calls or bad calls (judgements calls) that were missed or made on purpose over the course of the game that clearly favors one team over the other...those calls are most likey not reviewable because their judgemant calls. Look at the NBA ref scandal with gambling and look what happened last year between the Spurs and Suns...remeber that!!!! A black mark on the image of the NBA...every sportswriter in america questioned the integrity of the game after that. College sports has had issues with refs as well,,,Are we to beleive that only in TN highschool basketball the refs are truly above any wrongdoing or would NEVER play favorite to one side over the other. I DONT THINK SO!!!!!!