glencliff football

Guest workinprogress

I heard Coach Spears on a radio talk show talking about getting their schedule together & thought he mentioned about playing a JV type schedule, but maybe I misunderstood?? I think East Lit's upperclassmen with football experience had been playing @ Stratford? Do they have a choice if they want to continue @ Stratford or will they be required to move to East Lit?

My guess is that they will treat it kind of like a new school opening. Juniors and Seniors will have a choice and freshmen and sophomores will have to go to East Lit. I think the same thing is going on at CR and Im pretty sure the same thing has been done when Ravenwood and Independence opened up in Williamson Co.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, all players must play for East Lit or be ineligible. They do not get to choose. You cannot have a kid going to McGavock decide to play for Hillboro. This is no different. If they attend East Lit that is where they have to play. You cannot attend one school and play for another without a co-op agreement that is approved by the TSSAA. East Lit USED to have a co-op for football with Stratford. They also had a co-op with Hume Fogg for softball. That is no longer the case. Anyone that thinks this is not true is kidding themselves. Stratford must find a way to replace the 30 players they were getting for free.

Also, East Lit is playing a varsity/jv split schedule for two reasons.

1. It is the first year of the program, just like any school that is just opening the program must be built from the ground up.

2. It is the last year before the reclassification and schedules were already set for the most part. They could not be placed in a region at this point. There was no way to fill an entire 10 game schedule with the small amount of game openings available without having to travel at least three hours away several times. For a school that is starting football from scratch with no monetary help from the district, that was just not possible.

No, all players must play for East Lit or be ineligible. They do not get to choose. You cannot have a kid going to McGavock decide to play for Hillboro. This is no different. If they attend East Lit that is where they have to play. You cannot attend one school and play for another without a co-op agreement that is approved by the TSSAA. East Lit USED to have a co-op for football with Stratford. They also had a co-op with Hume Fogg for softball. That is no longer the case. Anyone that thinks this is not true is kidding themselves. Stratford must find a way to replace the 30 players they were getting for free.

Also, East Lit is playing a varsity/jv split schedule for two reasons.

1. It is the first year of the program, just like any school that is just opening the program must be built from the ground up.

2. It is the last year before the reclassification and schedules were already set for the most part. They could not be placed in a region at this point. There was no way to fill an entire 10 game schedule with the small amount of game openings available without having to travel at least three hours away several times. For a school that is starting football from scratch with no monetary help from the district, that was just not possible.

Coach: Thanks for the heads up! I know that many times when a new school is opened older kids/upperclassmen are given an option as to continue at their same school or transfer; I was not sure how that would play out if the kid plays a sport.

This must be devastating to the Stratford staff; that is a huge # of kids to replace. Hopefully they'll get more kids from Stratford out for football. Best of luck to East Lit & Stratford in this upcoming season!

Guest workinprogress

Coach: Thanks for the heads up! I know that many times when a new school is opened older kids/upperclassmen are given an option as to continue at their same school or transfer; I was not sure how that would play out if the kid plays a sport.

This must be devastating to the Stratford staff; that is a huge # of kids to replace. Hopefully they'll get more kids from Stratford out for football. Best of luck to East Lit & Stratford in this upcoming season!

I think its more devastating to the kids than Stratford's staff. Bigchief I am sure you are correct, you usually are, but I hate to hear that for the kids. How can you make a senior play a varsity/jv split schedule. They could have scholarships on the line and what college coach would go see a jv game. Just my opinion but I dont think that is fair at all to the kids involved. I dont know how many of the kids want to play at Stratford but I think they should have the option in this case.

I think its more devastating to the kids than Stratford's staff. Bigchief I am sure you are correct, you usually are, but I hate to hear that for the kids. How can you make a senior play a varsity/jv split schedule. They could have scholarships on the line and what college coach would go see a jv game. Just my opinion but I dont think that is fair at all to the kids involved. I dont know how many of the kids want to play at Stratford but I think they should have the option in this case.

WIP, I know what you saying and you would think there would be an exception for the kids that played at Sratford at least until they (E.Lit.) has a full varsity schedule. Missed seeing you this past Friday.

Guest workinprogress

WIP, I know what you saying and you would think there would be an exception for the kids that played at Sratford at least until they (E.Lit.) has a full varsity schedule. Missed seeing you this past Friday.

Yeah it sounded like I missed a good time. I changed my mind later Thursday night after we had already talked. Some HR people were coming in on Friday to tell us our job situation. I figured I might actually need to be there. Funny thing is all they did was tell us that they could not guarantee that we would still have our current jobs but they would do their best to make sure we had a job we could be happy with. I guess I'll have to start applying for jobs now.

You would think there would be an exception but maybe not. I have also heard that it may not be long before Hillsboro is no longer an open enrollment school. I wonder what will happen to all of those athletes.

Yeah it sounded like I missed a good time. I changed my mind later Thursday night after we had already talked. Some HR people were coming in on Friday to tell us our job situation. I figured I might actually need to be there. Funny thing is all they did was tell us that they could not guarantee that we would still have our current jobs but they would do their best to make sure we had a job we could be happy with. I guess I'll have to start applying for jobs now.

You would think there would be an exception but maybe not. I have also heard that it may not be long before Hillsboro is no longer an open enrollment school. I wonder what will happen to all of those athletes.

If Hillsboro is no longer an open enrollment school, they will join the 3A ranks and probably move to the region with Pearl-Cohn and White House due to the extremely low numbers of kids living in the Green Hills area that go the Private or Magnet route. There is a reason Hillsboro is open enrollment (not enough kids in their zone going to public schools)

Guest workinprogress

If Hillsboro is no longer an open enrollment school, they will join the 3A ranks and probably move to the region with Pearl-Cohn and White House due to the extremely low numbers of kids living in the Green Hills area that go the Private or Magnet route. There is a reason Hillsboro is open enrollment (not enough kids in their zone going to public schools)

Thats just what one of the freshmen told me. He was worried he might lose eligibility.

Wingman, Litton was a powerhouse in the 50's as well, but that is not making Stratford any better in the 2000's with the same zoned area. The Bush, Grigsby and Brown names are a distant memory at Glencliff. Where are you Jerry Broadbent?

Come on BigChief, you know you want to go to Stratford and help them get over the hump of losing all of the East Lit. guys. You could be the pleasant change needed to turn around the Spartans Football, Basketball and Baseball programs. Then again , you may not want the headache /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

How much diference can there be in playing football for Stratford and playing a split schedule for East Lit? Either way, the coaches are going to have to help the kids get scholarships. At 1-9 I don't think recruiters are going to flock to Stratford looking for players. Who would you rather have helping you find a place to play, Coach Spears or Coach Smith? I think its a wash for the kids at East. They will just have to get some help to find a college to play for. Anyway, who are the seniors? Are they good enough to get a scholarship?