Great Season for Temple in 09?

temple4life

Greenacres,

What do you have against coach Marcum? Temple had one returning player who was healthy this season. The rest were JV guys for the last two years! So you're telling me that taking a JV team from a year ago and beating Grace (3 D1 caliber players) and CSAS (Everybody back from the state runner-up team), and taking UNDEFEATED #1 Union City down to the wire at the state tournament is under achieving? You are out of your mind!!!!!!!! You better hope nobody at Temple ever finds out who you are because they will publically expose you for the moron you are!!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greenacres,

What do you have against coach Marcum? Temple had one returning player who was healthy this season. The rest were JV guys for the last two years! So you're telling me that taking a JV team from a year ago and beating Grace (3 D1 caliber players) and CSAS (Everybody back from the state runner-up team), and taking UNDEFEATED #1 Union City down to the wire at the state tournament is under achieving? You are out of your mind!!!!!!!! You better hope nobody at Temple ever finds out who you are because they will publically expose you for the moron you are!!!

Good post. My thoughts exactly! To be honest, Temple had 1 really good player, and a bunch of other guys that did some things well. Coach Marcum identified each players strengths and gave each player their roles on the team. Green Acres needs help.

Greenacres,

What do you have against coach Marcum?

Let me handle that question for you, Green Acres, before you embarrass yourself even further. When Marcum was selected for the job 1 year ago, Acres (Then Pasture) was upset because his favorite, Coach Brown, didn't get the job. Acres immediately started posting on CoachT that Marcum only got the job because his father is on staff at Highland Park Baptist Church. While, considering the recent downward spiral of the school, some of us were thrilled that an alumni of TTA, with college playing, and high school coaching experience would consider accepting a job at TTA, Acres hounded the adminstration for making a stupid decision, and gave Marcum no chance to succeed.

Now, a year later, as Marcum has handled the TSSAA investigation admirably, turned around a struggling football team, and taken his basketball team way farther than most people in the city expected them to go, Acres is still saying crap like Marcum got the job because of his daddy. In Acres' eyes, if Temple had won the gold ball Saturday, it would have been despite the coach.

Oh well, every school has a fan or two like Acres. Ya can't live with em, and ya can't kill em!

Let me handle that question for you, Green Acres, before you embarrass yourself even further. When Marcum was selected for the job 1 year ago, Acres (Then Pasture) was upset because his favorite, Coach Brown, didn't get the job. Acres immediately started posting on CoachT that Marcum only got the job because his father is on staff at Highland Park Baptist Church. While, considering the recent downward spiral of the school, some of us were thrilled that an alumni of TTA, with college playing, and high school coaching experience would consider accepting a job at TTA, Acres hounded the adminstration for making a stupid decision, and gave Marcum no chance to succeed.

Now, a year later, as Marcum has handled the TSSAA investigation admirably, turned around a struggling football team, and taken his basketball team way farther than most people in the city expected them to go, Acres is still saying crap like Marcum got the job because of his daddy. In Acres' eyes, if Temple had won the gold ball Saturday, it would have been despite the coach.

Oh well, every school has a fan or two like Acres. Ya can't live with em, and ya can't kill em!

People fail to realize that the team is composed of not just the players but the coaching staff as well. Its up to the head coach to put players in position where they will succeed the most to the benifit of the team, not the individual. Coach Marcum did an excellent job of preparing his team this year and identifying the strenghts and weaknesses of each player and getting them in the right mindset that they could do accomplish great things this year when no one gave them a chance. I am a strong CSAS supporter but I am glad that Temple played as well as they did with so little because they represented the region well at the state and it made for a more exciting basketball season than what everyone was originally expecting. Congrats to Temple and I look forward to rooting against you guys again next year...

Dadoffour,

Were you not the same poster who was predicting a blow out win by CSAS over Temple for the Region Championship (14 points, was it?)? I predicted Temple would win that game, so when I talk about coaching ability and what our players are capable of, you should listen.

Do you remember our girls basketball team last year? They went to substate, one game shy of where our boys attained this year. Did they make it to the sectional last year because their coach was such a good coach or because the team had such good talent? Did they lose at substate because they were just not good enough to go any farther or should they have at least hosted a game rather than travel (as they did the previous year), and should they have made it at least to the state semi-finals? If you say that they should have made it farther than they did, then why did they end up going home early?

I will let you and the rest of the people, who think they know what they are talking about, think about that - if you can - for a while before I post anymore.

(Just a quick side note, most better than average coaches give their team the credit when they win and take the responsibility for the team's losses for not having their team prepared well enough to win. It has been Dan Wadley's philosophy, also. So, when I do not jump on the bandwagon saying Caleb is a "heckuva" coach, when he blames his players for the losses, maybe you understand why and try to get where I am coming from and that I am just being honest about how I see things. I thought message boards were designed for honest discussion and dialogue)

Dadoffour,

Were you not the same poster who was predicting a blow out win by CSAS over Temple for the Region Championship (14 points, was it?)? I predicted Temple would win that game, so when I talk about coaching ability and what our players are capable of, you should listen.

Do you remember our girls basketball team last year? They went to substate, one game shy of where our boys attained this year. Did they make it to the sectional last year because their coach was such a good coach or because the team had such good talent? Did they lose at substate because they were just not good enough to go any farther or should they have at least hosted a game rather than travel (as they did the previous year), and should they have made it at least to the state semi-finals? If you say that they should have made it farther than they did, then why did they end up going home early?

I will let you and the rest of the people, who think they know what they are talking about, think about that - if you can - for a while before I post anymore.

(Just a quick side note, most better than average coaches give their team the credit when they win and take the responsibility for the team's losses for not having their team prepared well enough to win. It has been Dan Wadley's philosophy, also. So, when I do not jump on the bandwagon saying Caleb is a "heckuva" coach, when he blames his players for the losses, maybe you understand why and try to get where I am coming from and that I am just being honest about how I see things. I thought message boards were designed for honest discussion and dialogue)

Yes Acres, I predicted Temple would lose to CSAS by 14, and my team suprised me. But I don't think I'll be going to you for your expert opinion based on one game that you guessed correctly.

As for your second paragraph, I'm not sure who changed the channel, but I thought we were talking about boys basketball, in 2008.

You're right, message boards are good for honest discussion, and I honestly think you're dead wrong about Marcum. But that's okay, you're entitled to make all the bone-headed observations on here that you want. Lord knows I've made a few.

not sure what your point is about the girls but they play in one of the weakest regions in the state. It's been many years since any chattanooga team has made it past substate in Class A. I think Grace was the last team and that was 10 years ago. (I know LV made it back in that era as well as CCS)

Back to the topic... Caleb is young, still learning. He did a good job with one sensational player and a bunch of other guys that are inexperienced. Pressure will be on next year.

Sure, I am thrilled to have a coach who led his team to a place he was not even planning on going. Sounds more like an accident than on purpose to me. Like I said, what success the team had was in spite of the coaching.

You probably should sharpen up your reading comprehension skills. What you should have gotten out of my post was that I knew Temple could have had a better season and I am disappointed that they did not show, on paper, how good they really were and that I thought better coaching would have opened the door for people to see how good Sexton and company really are. For all the accolades, few really grasped how good Temple really is.

Just so you know, I am not bitter, I am just being realistic and expressing my unbiased, objective point of view. You should try it some time. Surely, I am not the only Temple fan brave enough to post what I really think...

You sound like you might be one of the coaching staff or family who is taking offense to the obvious.

Green Acres, got some quick questions for you. What makes you such a basketball expert? Have you ever coached before? Any background in the sport? Didn't think so.

Obviously, you know absolutely nothing about basketball. Or sports, for that matter. Do you think your uninformed opinion matters or means more in regards to the job the Temple coaching staff did this year, or do you think the opinion of other high school and college coaches - people who are in the coaching profession - means more. The answer is obvious to everybody except you. I guess if 99 people said the sky was blue, you would be the one who would argue that it was a different color regardless.

You seem to be one of those who has all the answers. If so, what would you have done different with this year's Temple team? In detail, tell all what you would have done differently. Or for that matter, what another coach would've done differently. Coach Marcum and his staff would probably love to know since they did such a poor job this year. Help them out.

Quit hiding behind your computer, and your black beard, and show us what a basketball genious you are. Enlighten us all with your X's and O's and your coaching knowledge.

There is no shame in winning the district and region titles, then advancing to State and losing to the eventual state champion, especially when no one other than you expected it. You act as if this Temple team was loaded with talent. THAT'S NOT TRUE! It's Sexton and everybody else. A superior team almost always trumps a superior player, and that's what happened in the first round of the State tournament.

You tell me who had more talent, Grace, CSAS or Temple. Grace has three potential Div. 1 players, one of which has already signed with Liberty, another who is a 6-foot-8 beast who plays hard on every possession and the other has already scored over 1,000 points as a sophomore. Who other than Sexton will play college ball for Temple? Nobody, unless its at a very small school and that is highly doubtful. Yet, Temple beat Grace when it counted. CSAS had seven seniors coming back from last year's state championship team. Seven, including Hampton. Yet, Temple beat CSAS when it counted. And your going to come on this message board and diss the coaching staff? Makes no sense. Poll 100 people and ask them who had the most talented team this year and without fail every last one of them would say Grace. Grace's problem was it didn't always play together. And Temple, for the most part did, while riding Sexton's back. Again, that's a credit to the coaching staff.

A coach, any coach, can draw up as many plays as he wants, but if the players don't show up and make plays his team is not going to win. Was it the coaches' fault that your point guard turned the ball over 10 times? Was it the coaches' fault that the tallest player on the court was overwhelmed by being in the state tournament and did very little? Was it the coaches' fault that the only other returning starter from last year's team injured his shoulder and was out for the year? Was it the coaches' fault that there was very little depth to speak of? Was it the coaches' fault that Temple drew the top-ranked team in the state?

Since when does rolling in JV equate to a state title? That's about as insane as some of your other comments. Kemp, Montgomery, Petersen combined for about 1 or 2 points per game last year on the varsity and entered this season with little or no experience. Rector, meanwhile, was playing on the middle school team. Then, Andrews gets hurt. And Sexton, as good as he is, was the third or fourth option on last year's team. Wow! What coach worth his whistle couldn't take that team to the State tournament?

Did you know that Temple was the ONLY returning champion at the State Tournament? The ONLY one, in any classification. What does that tell you? And with one, repeat one, returning starter. If you were at the State tournament and watched all the games, you would realize how important experience is in terms of getting to Murfreesboro and being successful once you get there. I guess you have an answer for that one, too. Right?

I'm sure Coach Marcum and his staff would be the first to tell you they made mistakes. A lot of them. All coaches do, even the most experienced ones. You learn as a coach each and every year just as you do in any profession. But, as the record indicates, they also pushed a lot of right buttons.

Talking to people in the know at Temple, they say the team practiced harder this year than they have in years. Why? That's Marcum's style, apparently. And, Temple couldn't just show up and win on talent alone like they have in some instances in the past. They had to work harder because they weren't nearly as talented as they have been in the past.

Please continue to drag your school, Temple, down. With fans like you, who needs enemies like the rest of us who truly support our schools and coaches....especially when they enjoy a surprisingly successful season like the one Temple did this year. Instead of being so critical for no sane reason, perhaps you should stay positive and do what you can do to help out the athletic program.

Just by going on what I saw last season and this season,Temple should be back in Murfreesboro...They will have to stay away from injuries ESPECIALLY to Sexton....They will have to establish more depth and get more scoring from what will be a senior oriented team next season...Losing only one senior(Peterson)they were probably the youngest team in The Buro this year...They will have nice size with Johnson,Montgomery & Reaves and will have an experienced point guard in Kemp...Sexton is the straw that stirs the drink though and will have to continue to produce when the opposition's defense will be centered around stopping him...

Should be a pre-season favorite to win the title...

I think they have what it takes to make it back to state next year, but it won't be easy. Other players will have to step up their games in a big way. As much as we need them on the football field next fall, they might be better off staying in the gym if they really want to be the best basketball team they can be.

In my honest opinion having been around college athletes at the Division 1 level, dedicating themselves to football over the summer and fall will only increase their athletic ability and make them better basketball players. They will only get much stronger and tougher which will then make them better on the hardwood. Look at guys like Lebron James, Allen Iverson, Jason Williams, even Greg Paulus at Duke. These were all guys that excelled at high school football AND basketball and they have been open to admitting that it in many ways help shape the type of basketball players that they are today. If guys like this were smart enough to dedicate themselves to it then I think our guys should do the same for the sake of both programs.

Greenacres,

So, are you saying that Grace and CSAS, whose coaches have been in the saddle for 20 years each, were outcoached by a 27 year old kid who, has only been coaching for four years or so, coached Silverdale's baseball team to 5-14 record last year, Temple's football team to a 2-8 record this year, and is coaching varsity basketball for the first time ever? Does it sound reasonable to you that he has the ability to take low talent level teams and cause them to play beyond their ability, something he has never done before that we know of? Is that what you are saying? What I am saying is that the team under achieved because they did have the coaching to bring out of them what they were really capable of. I am not saying that Caleb did not do a good job this year, I am saying the team should have done better, and I think a seasoned, experienced, veteran coach would have accomplished more. Am I wrong?