Manassas -vs- Union City

Legend

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought....Didn't Manassas have a state title to lose??...Why was everyone saying Manassas had nothing to lose??..... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Yes, I agree and quite honest with you I think our guys didn't have the pressure on them that everyone was putting on them. These are kids and they take things differently than adults. Not saying they didn;t feel the pressure but some folks put a little pressure on manasses as well. Actually, they are two teams combined in a way.

I really do just love beating those Memphis teams.

Do you remember the days we played Memphis Kirby and Kingsberry. Those days were the days anyone from up here in West Tennessee had to go through Memphis to earn a trip to the state.

Now days, most teams have to come through Union City either in Union City, on the road or at the Boro.

One other thing for everyone to think about, Union City Boys Basketball Team has more GOLD Basketballs now than any team this side of Nashville and north of Memphis. We even have more GOLD Basketball than most teams in Mempho.

Just a thought for everyone to chew!!

I for one wanna say congrats on a great season for the Tornadoes..This program had a special bunch of kids this year that simply refuse to lose..You really can't say enough about the coaching staff and all the players from Union City. And i truely believe all Union City fans witnessed history Saturday..I have never saw a team that played with the heart that them guys did all year long..UNBELIEVEABLE! I wish all the seniors all the luck in the world in what they might do in life..And as for MJ..YOU DA MAN! He will make some college very happy wherever he may go because he will give 100% in every game and bring a winning attitude to the team..He is a real class act on and off the court thanks to his parents and coaches..Ive gotten to know his dad (Marshall) pretty well this year and he is a very classy guy himself and i know your one proud father of MJ..I know words can't describe how you felt after Saturday's game and after the awards were given..One thing is for sure..Nothing was given to MJ..He earned everything he got and i believe it will pay off for him..And you can bet that you aint heard the Last of MJ Brown..He will keep on keeping on..Mad Props to him and what he has done in the 4 years with the Tornadoes.....................And as for Legend...................You can stick a fork in him this year because he is done til next year!...........Unless you can prove me wrong!!...Please do!......P.S.........Tell Buckner and the rest of Manassas players coaches congrats. for a good season! ..As for Buckner...Im sure he is a good kid and has a good thing going but he needs to show a little class on and off the court, because his attitude was just horribe! I have a hard time believing that Bruce Pearl would pick him up with that attitude..But he certainly has the ability, i never questioned that...Good luck to Manassas and Buckner for NEXT YEAR!

First let me say congratulations to UC on your state championship. I was not able to make it to the game I had to work but I listened to it from halftime on. And it sounded like this A undefeated team UC down by 17 at halftime and here you are a Mr. Basketball finalist with 3 points. No pressure your coach approaches you coming out of the tunnel and tells you we need you. How do you respond start the second half hitting your first two shots and even over the radio you could feel the potential for something starting to happen. To start the fourth quarter you are down by 10 now you have gotten your teammates involved you take the lead. Going down the stretch like I said no pressure on you just a undefeated season, a finialist for Mr. Basketball, your number 1 state ranking for the whole year and your last high school game and a state championship. In the final minutes the ball is in your hands you go to the line and make 5 out of 6 free throws. Your teams ends up winning the championship by 2 after being down by 17. Now you end the game with 29 points, you and your team are 37-0, one of only 15 teams in Tenessee to have a undefeated season and win the state championship, Named MVP of the tournament and named Mr. Basketball for the second year in a row and what did you do to accomplish this you beat " A GREAT TEAM". By accomplishing these things I guess that makes M J BROWN and the UC GOLDEN TORNADOS

"LEGENDS"

Congratulations

Just wanted to say congrautlations to the Union City team for coming back after halftime and capping off a perfect season, 37-0!. I played on the 97 team for Perry County that had the same record so I know you guys are really proud and this is something that you can tell your grandkids about one day. It really shows how much you guys wanted it coming back from 17 down at halftime. Great effort and way to come out on top!!!

I for one wanna say congrats on a great season for the Tornadoes..This program had a special bunch of kids this year that simply refuse to lose..You really can't say enough about the coaching staff and all the players from Union City. And i truely believe all Union City fans witnessed history Saturday..I have never saw a team that played with the heart that them guys did all year long..UNBELIEVEABLE! I wish all the seniors all the luck in the world in what they might do in life..And as for MJ..YOU DA MAN! He will make some college very happy wherever he may go because he will give 100% in every game and bring a winning attitude to the team..He is a real class act on and off the court thanks to his parents and coaches..Ive gotten to know his dad (Marshall) pretty well this year and he is a very classy guy himself and i know your one proud father of MJ..I know words can't describe how you felt after Saturday's game and after the awards were given..One thing is for sure..Nothing was given to MJ..He earned everything he got and i believe it will pay off for him..And you can bet that you aint heard the Last of MJ Brown..He will keep on keeping on..Mad Props to him and what he has done in the 4 years with the Tornadoes.....................And as for Legend...................You can stick a fork in him this year because he is done til next year!...........Unless you can prove me wrong!!...Please do!......P.S.........Tell Buckner and the rest of Manassas players coaches congrats. for a good season! ..As for Buckner...Im sure he is a good kid and has a good thing going but he needs to show a little class on and off the court, because his attitude was just horribe! I have a hard time believing that Bruce Pearl would pick him up with that attitude..But he certainly has the ability, i never questioned that...Good luck to Manassas and Buckner for NEXT YEAR!

when players run under you and push and pull you down and the refs let it go on and on. you would have a attitude also. When the refs dont call over the back on UC. When they let players ride you all the time. you would be mad also. Buckner is a good kid but enough is enough when the refs let them do him anyway they wanted to.

Dont get me wrong UC won the game because they wanted it more.

Coach Harris didnt miss those layups or freethrows or turn the ball over in the 4th. People kill me with that mess.

Last legend out till next year its been fun messing with you guys and you will here from me again.

Manassas will be back next year.

Just wanted to say congrautlations to the Union City team for coming back after halftime and capping off a perfect season, 37-0!. I played on the 97 team for Perry County that had the same record so I know you guys are really proud and this is something that you can tell your grandkids about one day. It really shows how much you guys wanted it coming back from 17 down at halftime. Great effort and way to come out on top!!!

pcalum....I was at Linden the night Union City became one of the 37 victims that year....We both won State Championships in 97....

There are always things that come to the light of day after something like this(A perfect 37-0 State Championship season)...Here are a couple of things that were told at the Welcome Home Celebration on Sunday afternoon...bhhvols,you will appreciate this seeing as how you were back home in Athens yesterday and didn't get to attend...

1...On Tuesday morning before Union City headed out to Murfreesboro,the school hosted a system-wide Pep Rally...Sometime during all the commotion MJ Brown smashed a finger on his shooting hand...He didn't say anything at the time...One of his teammates(I think it was Tony Wilkins)went to coach Sisco after they had gotten to Murfreesboro and told him to come take a look at MJ's finger...Well,it was told yesterday that his finger had swollen to about the size of his thumb and was really hurting him....The coaching staff and training staff did everything they could to get the swelling to go down before the game with Temple...Nothing was said to the media or anyone else..Could have been a reason MJ didn't have the greatest of shooting games in that first contest...

2.Against Moore County,Andre' Coby suffered an elbow injury..I'm guessing a hyperextension the way it was described...His elbow looked like he had a tennis ball on it from the swelling...Again,nothing was mentioned...He comes out and scores 11 points and grabs 15 rebounds in the championship game....

Some other things that were known to people who followed this team but maybe not to people who didn't follow this team....Early in the year Andre' reaggravated a knee injury suffered a year ago..He played through the pain and eventually had to put a pretty big,bulky brace on his knee to keep it stable...Tony Wilkins hurt his knee early in the Mt Juliet game(first of the tourney)in The Battle for the State Tournament in Nashville over the Christmas break....He didn't play the rest of that tourney and played ZERO minutes in the Poplar Bluff Showdown when UC beat THREE 5A schools from three different states...His teammates picked up the slack and won BOTH tournaments....Then he came back and played sparingly against Lake County and Humboldt and didn't look all that great...He got to playing and looking healthy again but just in time for the second Lake County game,this one at home,he got the Chicken Pox along with the flu....He made a great recovery and was a major component to this championship team..This UC team didn't start playing without injuries or illness until just before the tournament season started and thru all of that adversity came the perfect season...

It was also mentioned Sunday afternoon and was actually touched on by chipper in a post earlier in the season when people started to make the Patriots comparisons and how it will be better if the team was to lose a game and whatnot...chipper said Union City's loss for the year was actually when Humboldt beat them in the region semis a year earlier...How right you were!!!...Out of that awful experience came this..This team came out from Game #1 and absolutely REFUSED to lose again....

when players run under you and push and pull you down and the refs let it go on and on. you would have a attitude also. When the refs dont call over the back on UC. When they let players ride you all the time. you would be mad also. Buckner is a good kid but enough is enough when the refs let them do him anyway they wanted to.

Dont get me wrong UC won the game because they wanted it more.

Coach Harris didnt miss those layups or freethrows or turn the ball over in the 4th. People kill me with that mess.

Last legend out till next year its been fun messing with you guys and you will here from me again.

Manassas will be back next year.

Well Legend i dunno if u will read this but here it is...Yes Buckner got beat and bang around but it was no more than what Buckner did and got by with..I saw him hook a couple of players and throw them to the floor..It happened more than once..I also told you in another post that UC had 10 guys they would play and 50 fouls..And u couldnt carry them back to UC with them..And as far as coach Harris..well..He just simply got out coached period..Manassas was up 17 points with 2 min left in the 3rd and Manassas was still jacking up 3's instead of trying to run up some clock..I know coach Harris didnt miss the layups and turn the ball over but he folded down the strech..I really believe that Manassas had every intention to run the score up on UC and it backfired!..We told you all year long there was no quit in this UC ball club nor the coaches..I think coach Harris learned a lesson in that game and it will make him better in the long run..But he will never be a Sisco for sure...The lesson he learned is..YOU PLAY WITH FIRE YOU WILL GET BURNED!..So Legend don't feel so bad for Manassas because their were 36 other games that teams couldnt get it done ither!...Good luck next year!

pcalum....I was at Linden the night Union City became one of the 37 victims that year....We both won State Championships in 97....

That was by far the closest we came to losing all year. I think we won by only 5 or something. That team was definitely the most athletic team we played. I was glad to see you guys win AA that year. Purple & Gold, what schools are currently recruiting M.J.?