Manassas -vs- Union City

Legend

monsterman99....Where are u now??...Stealing a chant from the Union City student section..."Hey you...Over there...Sit down...Shut Up!!!!!!!!...You wanted it to happen so bad didn't you??...

Legend...Thanks..But I expected more from you....

Now to the game....

First off...I posted don't be surprised if Union City was even with or outrebounded Manassas....53-50 Union City...It's happened all year...Someone said we wouldn't get any second chance points...Wrong again...I said it would be 76-69 Union City....With a little over 1 minute left in the game it was 75-69....Manassas hits a three at the buzzer to cut a 5 point lead to two...Now,I didn't expect Union City to be down by 17 to get to that score..But whatever works I guess...

Union City has been in this situation before..They were down 13 points with two minutes left in the game against Raytown South...And won....They had been down double digits to Humboldt..And won...They had been down to Lake County,as many as nine,at home..And won...They had to hit a shot at the buzzer at Lake County..They did..And won...Union City wasn't intimidated by Manassas' athleticism..They have seen players that good before..Manassas did come out in the first half and took the Tornadoes to the woodshed...But games are 32 minutes long,not 16....I thought coming out in the second half Manassas actually tried to do the right thing..They did try to slow it down but Union City forced them to play fast..They couldn't control tempo...MJ coming out and hitting those first two shots were big but then UC left about 8 points on the table with Manassas not getting any points....Then Manassas seemed to settle back in when they re-took the 17 point lead midway thru the 3rd qtr.....We were all saying if we can just get it to 10 heading into the 4th qtr....Well we got it to 59-49 heading into the last 8 minutes and then I think everybody including Manassas found out what Union City is about in that 4th qtr...I think Manassas was shocked that somebody didn't just lay down and take their beating like most everybody else has,especially since Dec.29th...It showed that they hadn't played but one good team since then...They panicked in that 4th qtr....

Congrats to MJ Brown on his MVP and second Mr Basketball Award...Congrats to Tony Wilkins and Andre' Coby on getting All-Tourney...I thought Nik Brooks could have easily been chosen also...Congrats to the cheerleaders for winning the spirit award....Congrats to Union City football coach Randy Barnes for making the Hall of Fame...Congrats to all the Union City fans that made their way to The Boro all week....And congrats to the Union City Golden Tornadoes on winning their 5th State Championship and going 37-0..Unbelievable season...Unbelievable fun..It was a special,special day in Murfreesboro yesterday...One that I will never forget...Union City showed the heart of a true champion....

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

monsterman99....Where are u now??...Stealing a chant from the Union City student section..."Hey you...Over there...Sit down...Shut Up!!!!!!!!...You wanted it to happen so bad didn't you??...

Legend...Thanks..But I expected more from you....

Now to the game....

First off...I posted don't be surprised if Union City was even with or outrebounded Manassas....53-50 Union City...It's happened all year...Someone said we wouldn't get any second chance points...Wrong again...I said it would be 76-69 Union City....With a little over 1 minute left in the game it was 75-69....Manassas hits a three at the buzzer to cut a 5 point lead to two...Now,I didn't expect Union City to be down by 17 to get to that score..But whatever works I guess...

Union City has been in this situation before..They were down 13 points with two minutes left in the game against Raytown South...And won....They had been down double digits to Humboldt..And won...They had been down to Lake County,as many as nine,at home..And won...They had to hit a shot at the buzzer at Lake County..They did..And won...Union City wasn't intimidated by Manassas' athleticism..They have seen players that good before..Manassas did come out in the first half and took the Tornadoes to the woodshed...But games are 32 minutes long,not 16....I thought coming out in the second half Manassas actually tried to do the right thing..They did try to slow it down but Union City forced them to play fast..They couldn't control tempo...MJ coming out and hitting those first two shots were big but then UC left about 8 points on the table with Manassas not getting any points....Then Manassas seemed to settle back in when they re-took the 17 point lead midway thru the 3rd qtr.....We were all saying if we can just get it to 10 heading into the 4th qtr....Well we got it to 59-49 heading into the last 8 minutes and then I think everybody including Manassas found out what Union City is about in that 4th qtr...I think Manassas was shocked that somebody didn't just lay down and take their beating like most everybody else has,especially since Dec.29th...It showed that they hadn't played but one good team since then...They panicked in that 4th qtr....

Congrats to MJ Brown on his MVP and second Mr Basketball Award...Congrats to Tony Wilkins and Andre' Coby on getting All-Tourney...I thought Nik Brooks could have easily been chosen also...Congrats to the cheerleaders for winning the spirit award....Congrats to Union City football coach Randy Barnes for making the Hall of Fame...Congrats to all the Union City fans that made their way to The Boro all week....And congrats to the Union City Golden Tornadoes on winning their 5th State Championship and going 37-0..Unbelievable season...Unbelievable fun..It was a special,special day in Murfreesboro yesterday...One that I will never forget...Union City showed the heart of a true champion....

Very WELL said there my friend. What a year. What A Year.....I didn't get to make the trips this year due to work but was so happy that the kids completed their mission. We here in Union City REALLY need to let these kids know how "Proud" we are of their manerism and the way they act on and off the court.

This team will NEVER be forgotten.

This game just proves what Jimmy V always said....."Never Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up".

Enough Said

It was nice to meet everyone from the T at the tourney......

Union City had one thing.....HEART.....You won't see another team like this for awhile....These kids are unbelievable.....I looked over at a friend during the third quarter and he said it was over....I told him if they got it under 10 points by the 4th, Union City would win......At the end of the 3rd it was 59-49.....MJ Brown will be truly missed at Union City....For anybody who doubted him all year, take a look at that 2nd half....I wish the best of luck to all the Seniors as I will miss watching them kids play....

Congrats to Union City!!!! You deserved it!!!!

P&G....You can add another state title to your signature now...

Congrats to UC on their CHAMPIONSHIP. Great comeback. After the heartbreaking DC loss, I kinda adopted UC as a hometown team. (even though diff classes) It was fun to watch. I sat near the Manasses section and kept looking for Legend in his own mind, but anyway, congrats.

volman, if you sat near the Manassas section, I was practically sitting in the Manassas section. I was on the very front row with a red pullover and black hat. I was looking for Legend as well, perhaps he was one of the few behind me that said Manassas has got the game and the gold ball is coming to Memphis. I told those guys "I've seen Union City too many times before, they'll come back and make a game of it."

Manassas was practically playing street ball out there with our boys. Any team that can play THAT dirty in a State championship game doesn't deserve any title. The refs were horrible and didn't call half the stuff that they should have.

The first half made me a little nervous, but as soon as those boys popped out at half time with 3's; I had a great feeling that we were going to come back. We always come back no matter what. I don't know what Sisco does in the locker room, but it totally puts the boys back on focus and ready to play. Good Job boys, you played hard!

MVP should have been Nik Brooks or Andre Coby. They put in some shots & rebounds that won the game and they also played very well and consistant during the game.

If you think UC talks a lot of smack on coacht. You should have heard the Manassas players on the court...maybe they should have been practicing, rather than shaving "StateM" in their heads. Looks like the Manassas boys are going to be shaving their heads today. haha.

How about that game for ya Legend?

Looking forward to the 2008 Gold Ball being in the Union City High School trophy case today.

GO UC!

volman, if you sat near the Manassas section, I was practically sitting in the Manassas section. I was on the very front row with a red pullover and black hat. I was looking for Legend as well, perhaps he was one of the few behind me that said Manassas has got the game and the gold ball is coming to Memphis. I told those guys "I've seen Union City too many times before, they'll come back and make a game of it."

[/quot

Don`t recall seeing you, but looked in that direction quiet often. I heard the chants. I should have hooked with some of the "T" gang but just to busy all weekend. The only ones I saw that I know are local, but they don`t know who I am. Adsmom and khvol. anyway maybe next year.

UC did put on a heck of a show in the 4th didn`t they?

ucdiditagain....A friend of mine told me at halftime he went to smoke and some of the Manassas folks were out there also...He said that they were talking about having to play with the Mercy Rule in the 4th quarter.... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

37-0...AMAZING.....

Just got back from the Welcome Home Party at the high school....Very well done and alot of fans were there...Replay of the game will be at 7:00 PM WQAK 105.7FM Monday Night.....

Wasn't that a great coming home party for our UC championship team. Tons of people, county and city mayors, state representative Pinion all present to welcome home the victors. The team, coaches, cheerleaders, and fans all 1st class. Go UC, I am proud of you!

ucdiditagain....A friend of mine told me at halftime he went to smoke and some of the Manassas folks were out there also...He said that they were talking about having to play with the Mercy Rule in the 4th quarter.... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

37-0...AMAZING.....

Just got back from the Welcome Home Party at the high school....Very well done and alot of fans were there...Replay of the game will be at 7:00 PM WQAK 105.7FM Monday Night.....

Man, I was working and didn't even get to come to the welcome home party.

I AM SO PROUD OF OUR YOUNG MEN, COACHES and FANS. Sounds like everything was lots of fun.

When your dealing with "most" of the Mempho teams, you pretty much get what you saw with Manasses.

No control of your players and everyone has to look at what they grew up in.

Like I said, I am Sooooooooo Proud of the entire staff and everyone. It makes me proud to be a U C Alumni and a former player.

Like Duncan said today, just the class our kids show when they are on and off the court is enough for me. Their Gold Champions anyway no matter what would have happened.

Bottle this one up because years like this sometimes only comes once in a lifetime.