ihavenofriendzz

Dobyns-Bennett 0

Bishop England 0

Farragut 1

Eastside 1

Here is a boxscore from DBs game yesterday

Dutch Fork 1-3 Dobyns-Bennett (TN)

Referee: Jeremy Willis.

Asst. Referees: Brad Harman; John Tanverdi.

Weather: Clear, 75 Degrees.

Halftime: D-B 0-1 DF.

Goals: D-B Mitch Gardner 48:19, Daniel Murphy 57:05, David Geno 69:20; (DF) Bobby McNaughton 37:28.

Assists: (DF) Stephen Boggan.

Shots: D-B 8-7 DF.

Saves: D-B Chad Strickland 4; (DF) Michael Klower 3.

Corner Kicks: D-B 0; DF 5.

Offsides: D-B 0; DF 1.

Fouls: D-B 18; DF 12.

Cautions: D-B Colton Clark 31:15, Clark 71:47 (technical red).

Records: D-B 6-0; DF 4-6.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess thats the people who put out the rankings fault then...

Kind of like the BCS.

That is just it. It is NOTHING like the BCS. The BCS is actually a poll that involves every state. A COUPLE of states in the spring rank the high schools that play in the spring, and then they label it a "national ranking." States also get together in the fall and have a "national ranking." Although, it is not as flawed in the fall, (since way more high schools play in the fall), it is still preposterous for a school to assume that they achieved a #1 national ranking.

Sorry if I sound perturbed about this, but it I find it ludicrous that schools in TN actually think they are in contention for a national championship when they are ranked against only the few states that even participate in this ranking...TN, SC, VA, GA...a couple more I think.

I was listening to a couple of fans last year talk about how Farragut and Bearden were ranked something like 5 and 7 in the nation, and they both were heavy favorites to win a national championship. I thought it was some sort of joke. Then I realized that the parents discussing this were really that naive.

That is just it. It is NOTHING like the BCS. The BCS is actually a poll that involves every state. A COUPLE of states in the spring rank the high schools that play in the spring, and then they label it a "national ranking." States also get together in the fall and have a "national ranking." Although, it is not as flawed in the fall, (since way more high schools play in the fall), it is still preposterous for a school to assume that they achieved a #1 national ranking.

Sorry if I sound perturbed about this, but it I find it ludicrous that schools in TN actually think they are in contention for a national championship when they are ranked against only the few states that even participate in this ranking...TN, SC, VA, GA...a couple more I think.

I was listening to a couple of fans last year talk about how Farragut and Bearden were ranked something like 5 and 7 in the nation, and they both were heavy favorites to win a national championship. I thought it was some sort of joke. Then I realized that the parents discussing this were really that naive.

Dins8, I totally agree with you on this one. I have stated this for years! I do think it is good that some of the Tennessee teams are at least getting a mention! It certainly isn't a good system, it's basically some poll made somewhere by some people! ?? How would you know how the "2002 National Champion" Bearden team or the National would play against the 10th best team in Texas or California? I lived in Texas for years- they have over 300 high schools with more kids than Farragut or Bearden...and they play year around because they have the weather to do it! Oh well, at least all schools in the state are getting better. Texas and California have had competative soccer for a lot more years than Tennessee. So we have to catch up!

I would have to agree with you guys. My question is this... why can't every state play soccer the same time of year. Every other high school sport plays the same time of year so it is very easy to come up with a national champion. Does anyone know the reason why the high school soccer season is split up depending on the state?

I would have to agree with you guys. My question is this... why can't every state play soccer the same time of year. Every other high school sport plays the same time of year so it is very easy to come up with a national champion. Does anyone know the reason why the high school soccer season is split up depending on the state?

Football would be my guess...

Oh Dins I definately know what you are saying, We had a talk about this last year on a national champion thread. I do not believe in the so called rankings. I am sorry I didnt call it the Spring National Champion as Rivals, ESPN, and Euro state it. I know that any "spring champion" would get run by any of the Major states, such as Texas, Cal, FLorida and so on.

I hope Farragut gets to play Spring Valley in the Semi Finals, that would be a so called Battle of the States. The top 1 or 2 teams from each state playing. Should be a great game if both teams progress that far.

Oh Dins I definately know what you are saying, We had a talk about this last year on a national champion thread. I do not believe in the so called rankings. I am sorry I didnt call it the Spring National Champion as Rivals, ESPN, and Euro state it. I know that any "spring champion" would get run by any of the Major states, such as Texas, Cal, FLorida and so on.

I hope Farragut gets to play Spring Valley in the Semi Finals, that would be a so called Battle of the States. The top 1 or 2 teams from each state playing. Should be a great game if both teams progress that far.

I liken it to the superbowl winners being crowned "World Champions" and the baseball version championship being called the "World Series".

I don't think there is anything wrong with being crowned National Champs, even if it is only several states. While it may be not a "true" national championship, it's also like CAK's state championships; they are the state champion, but of the schools that are in A/AA. Are they a "true" state champion? I think so. Are they THE state champion? You can't be sure unless you play the champions head to head (which would be fun, but isn't going to happen)

There are rankings that do rank highschools in all divisions for all seasons in all states. I think studentsports.com does this (but not sure).

Here are the rules for scoring and the current standings.

6 points for a win;

3 points for a tie;

1 point for every goal up to three;

1 point for a shutout;

0 points for a loss;

-1 point for an accumulated red card (two yellow cards);

-2 points for a straight red card

10 points maximum for each match

GROUP A

1-0-1 12 2 1 Bishop England

1-0-1 12 3 1 Dobyns-Bennett (TN)

1-1-0 10 4 4 Dutch Fork

0-2-0 2 2 5 Brookland-Cayce

Bishop England (5-2-1) vs. Dutch Fork (5-6), 5 pm @ Eagle Stadium

Brookland-Cayce (5-3) vs. Dobyns-Bennett (6-0-1), 8 pm @ The Cage

GROUP B

2-0-0 18 5 2 North Myrtle Beach

2-0-0 18 5 1 Wando

0-2-0 2 2 6 Kempsville (VA)

0-2-0 1 1 4 T.L. Hanna

T.L. Hanna (0-8) vs. Kempsville (0-2), 6 pm @ The Cage

Wando (7-1) vs. North Myrtle Beach (9-0), 2 pm @ The Cage

GROUP C

2-0-0 19 9 3 Spring Valley

2-0-0 18 6 3 Cardinal Newman

0-2-0 5 5 9 Norman North (OK)

0-2-0 1 1 6 Airport

Airport (1-9) vs. Norman North (3-2), 7 pm @ Eagle Stadium

Spring Valley (7-0) vs. Cardinal Newman (7-3), 4 pm @ The Cage

GROUP D

1-0-1 14 7 1 Farragut (TN)

1-0-1 13 4 3 Eastside

1-1-0 11 6 4 Lexington

0-2-0 1 1 10 Emerald

Eastside (8-2-1) vs. Emerald (7-2), 3 pm @ Eagle Stadium

Lexington (8-2) vs. Farragut (4-0-1), 1 pm @ Eagle Stadium

Tie Breaker: (1) Head-to-head competition; (2) Goal differential; (3) Goals against; (4) Goals for; (5) Penalty Kick Shootout.

The winner of Group A plays winner of Group B and C winner plays D winner on Saturday morning, then Saturday night the winners of those 2 games play in the c-ship,. I believe 3rd place is determined by pts.

Farragut 2

Lexington 1

Farragut however fails to advance to the semifinals because Eastside defeated Emerald 3-0 giving Eastside a maximum 10pts for their game. Farragut, after their win over Lexington, was ahead of Eastside by 9pts.

I believe Farragut will play Cardinal Newman tomorrow.

Cardinal Newman is 7-4-0 and is ranked #3 in the SCISA rankings...

Dobyns-Bennett 1

Brookland-Cayce 1

Dobyns-Bennett fails to advance to the semis and will play North Myrtle Beach in a 5th-8th place game.