Red Cards

rednex41

Just checking to make sure I remember correctly. The "hard red" or direct red is a 2 game supspension and you play down. I know that. But the "soft red" or two yellows you actually can sub a player and the player does not sit out any extra games? I thought this was how it was explained to me, but I can't find my handy tssaa rulebook so want to make sure.

Hey G, you're pushing 3,000 posts. When do you find time to every coach?! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

G is much older and has been doing it a lot longer. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey G, you're pushing 3,000 posts. When do you find time to every coach?! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

He was getting on to me about my 3,000 posts last week. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

And an easy solution to this red card problem is, don't get red carded.

Just checking to make sure I remember correctly. The "hard red" or direct red is a 2 game supspension and you play down. I know that. But the "soft red" or two yellows you actually can sub a player and the player does not sit out any extra games? I thought this was how it was explained to me, but I can't find my handy tssaa rulebook so want to make sure.

Soft red you don't play down but I am not sure of the suspension.

Shoot Akula, I just roll out a bag of balls, let the boys play, and get on the wireless internet! We wouldn't win near as many games if I actually tried to coach! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Reaction, the humorous thing about the "3000" posts was when I went to make fun of you about how many posts you had, I saw that I was only about 10 behind you! Rather sad! We need to get a life.

I was reading the TSSAA Rules and I couldn't believe my eyes, well yes I could. For unsporting behavior football gets a one game suspension and soccer, actually all other sports get a two game suspension. How is that! How is that fair? I don't have any influence over the TSSAA, but all of the other coaches in all the other sports need to stand up tthe TSSAA and have them change he penalt for football or have the same penalty. Football should not be given less of a penalty, but I bet that doesn't surprise anyone who doesn't play football how they are treated with higher regards. Here you go:

B. On the ejection of a student athlete, the school will be required to submit a report on the action of the player and any disciplinary action taken by the school. The minimum penalty will be the suspension of the student athlete from participation in the next contest(s) at the level of competition for the specified number of contests played during a week in the particular sport (one game in football, two contests in all other sports). In addition, the student athlete is also suspended from participation in the same number of contest(s) at any other level of competition in the same sport.

Red can also be shown for saying the ref is blind, lol. So no matter how frustrated from cheap shots you get, no matter how badly you are getting pulled, pushed, kicked, tripped, held during a match, never ever say the ref is blind. That gets you a straight red and a 2 game suspension! You are better off to retaliate with a cheap shot of your own and get a yellow, lol!

As to the earlier question about soft red vs hard red, I expect in the eyes of TSSAA, a red is a red. The coach and the AD have to defend the ejection to TSSAA, not the referee. Ask yourself, a year ago, did 2 yellows result in an ejection and a suspention?

I think it needs saying, The referees work for the Game, not the HS, not the District, not TSSAA.

I think it needs saying, The referees work for the Game, not the HS, not the District, not TSSAA.

Yet, it seems we always have the same problem: the lack of quality officiating. Way too often the cards are pulled unnecessarily. Our refs don't have enough experiences beyond city, club, and high school games to give them sufficient understanding of the rules and the situations which require a card and those that don't. Too often they bring their "city-league-protect-the-child" attitude to the high school game. Additionally, I've often seen the ref's emotions as a contributing factor in bringing out the cards.

No other high school sport has such an easy route to ejection as does soccer. Two minor offenses and you're out. One major offense and you're gone. In football and basketball you see very similar rule infractions receiving either a "15 yard penalty" (which is not even assessed against the individual) or "foul" maybe even a "technical". Rarely, are they ejected. Additionally, our common, two-man officiating system adds to the problem - not enough eyes/ears/brains available to always make the appropriate call.

The game we play has been fine-tuned over many decades and many continents. FIFA is not perfect, but it's rules are the best there are, so why does TSSAA think it can out-think them?

Who does this help? The concept of expulsion is to remove a grossly troublesome individual so the game preserves it's "beauty" and the individual is given the chance to "come to his senses". Expulsion and missing a game should be seen as sufficient for our players. We're not dealing with professionals who have their "professional fouls" repertoire and other baggage, we're dealing with teenage boys and girls who sometimes don't think too clearly (due to their immaturity).

Therefore, it is unfair for them to be punished in such an extreme manner by our inexperienced, under-manned officials.

To protect the players from undue exclusion from games we should have the quality of our officials reviewed. Every time a player is ejected by an official, it should be noted on his/her review. Then the official is watched (by some supervisor) to see how regularly this happens. After so many, the official is called in to review his calls with the supervisor. If the official knows he/she was being reviewed, he/she would probably work harder at making sure his/her call was warranted. Of course this would only happen in a perfect world!!! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

TSSAA doesn't assess it's officials nor do they require a specific level of fitness. If the state tried to impose sanctions on an official for excessive use (or lack) of their cards the official would probably just quit and only do Rec or Club games. Get this; until a few years ago the only certification was an open book test mailed to you from Nashville. In almost 20 years I never saw an official banned due to their performance - they might be relegated to doing middle school or the less prestigious two-man games but we were so desperate for warm bodies that we couldn't be choosy. The association in Southeast Tn handles games from Dalton, Georgia all the way to Sweetwater which is a corridor about 80 miles long and for boys season encompasses about 50-60 high school teams. When everyone plays on a Tuesday or Thursday night and there literally aren't enough officials to go around (good or bad) many officials end up doing a game at 5 and another at 7:30. If we ever get past the logistics of having enough referees we can afford to be more choosy; for now we're still stuck with what we get.

my thing is that teams get the same refs all year bounce them around a little. And it would be nice to see good officials at not so good soccer games that we the kids we be able to see good refs at least once or twice a year i know CAK, Farragut, Bearden, Catholic, almost always get some of the best ref crews I know the coaches would not always agree but i think they should have to go through the bad reffing that some of the other not so quality schools have to put up with not to mention that all the players at the schools i mentioned know how to play soccer, and I know at least with Farragut the main thing you have to do with them is just watch there mouth and of course not let the game get out of hand, but since these kids know how to play it almost makes it easier to ref because they know right from wrong on the field and a lot of the kids at these other schools do not so it would make since to put good refs with those games more often since there are normally a tendency for non quality teams to resort to hacking and cheap shots and

TSSAA doesn't assess it's officials nor do they require a specific level of fitness. If the state tried to impose sanctions on an official for excessive use (or lack) of their cards the official would probably just quit and only do Rec or Club games. Get this; until a few years ago the only certification was an open book test mailed to you from Nashville. In almost 20 years I never saw an official banned due to their performance - they might be relegated to doing middle school or the less prestigious two-man games but we were so desperate for warm bodies that we couldn't be choosy. The association in Southeast Tn handles games from Dalton, Georgia all the way to Sweetwater which is a corridor about 80 miles long and for boys season encompasses about 50-60 high school teams. When everyone plays on a Tuesday or Thursday night and there literally aren't enough officials to go around (good or bad) many officials end up doing a game at 5 and another at 7:30. If we ever get past the logistics of having enough referees we can afford to be more choosy; for now we're still stuck with what we get.

You're 100% correct on that!

Soccer officiating has not been able to keep up with the sport's explosive growth over the past 40 years. As our players age and go into officiating, as a part-time job, they find the demands to be great and the stress to be high. They often face disrespectful parents and coaches, who often don't understand soccer and rudely treat these young officials. Often, these officials are asked to do games above their level of competence, rather than breaking them in more slowly. This can lead to them making a higher number of mistakes. Usually, we don't have enough protections for these aspiring officials. Until we do something about this we will continue to have a shortage because so many of our youth are chased away from officiating.

Ref assigners need to set a limit on how many Tu/Th games that can be scheduled, in a first-come-first-served approach! I always tried to schedule about 1/2 of my games on M/F - it made a big difference in the officiating.

IMO the biggest issue facing TN refs is there is not enough on the field training involved in the certification process. When new officials get certified all they are taught are the laws of the game, but as most people have pointed out there is more to it than that. I feel positioning of the refferee is a huge factor of the game especially in the two ref system. But as soon as the ref gets certified he/she is thrown out into matches right away. I feel that there should be a required one day training session on the field to go along with the classroom work to be certified. I dont know how effective it would be. I just thought it might cut down on some problems