State of Oak Ridge Football

bbulldog

I did only see two game in 2005 Riverdale and Ravenwood. and the offense was less than stellar in those two games but the defense was really good. Just my opinion...

I would agree with you about the Ravenwood game, but, even in that game it was play calling*, not lack of exacution IMO.I would not agree with you about the Riverdale game , Connor had his best game as a starting QB, and Spencer kept grinding the ball on the ground the whole game, not to mention that, that was a VERY GOOD Riverdale defensive team.

As far as the board and OR football, Coach Stevens is Mr. Greens guy, and Mr. Green is Dr. Baileys guy, plus the fact that NO ONE on the board has any ties to the football team what-so-ever, leads me to think that the only action that will take place is NO ACTION! (other than Stanton getting tenured last night).

*play calling- Ravenwood had two players on the offensive side of the ball that did the most damage to OR, yet, after half-time, it did not seem to appear that any adjustments were made to contain either.

On Offense- You have one of the best (if not the best) grind it out, hard hitting, break away tailbacks in Oak Rige history, yet, we were determined to keep throwing the ball, and limit Spencers touches in the biggest game of the year. After the game, with MY OWN EARS, I heard Spencer answer the question, "why didn't you get to run the ball more?"

His own answer was " I really don't have any idea!"

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There may not be any changes made this season in staff, unless some leave to other jobs. The Head Coach will remain. Now, this school board and administration needs to step up and do some things to reinforce the football program, no matter who is coaching. They need to do some work at Blankenship Field, they can spend a huge amount of money on a new arena for basketball, and thats fine, it was needed, but its tough to squeeze a dime out of them for Blankenship, they sit on their tails and let the Boosters Clubs and Quarterback Clubs do all the work and fund raising, which both these clubs have performed admirably, but now, with things the way they are, these clubs are weak and fund raising is virtually impossible, so it is time for them to step up and spend some money on the stadium and the football offices (besides a coat of paint and a few new doors).

I am not advocating coaching changes either, but what should tell the tale there are wins and losses, playoff appearances, number of kids getting college football scholarships and keeping kids interested and playing, which means keeping their grades up too. If these things are not met, then I would expect the powers to be to make coaching changes, so lets see what 2008 brings on that. I am not satisfied that the Administration and School Board are doing all they can to ensure the continuing of the tradition of Oak Ridge Football.

I don't agree that we do not have the "horses" any more, I just think that the horses need to be shown the way to the football fields. Too many are not playing that could, resources are not being utilized. I think a decent team could be put on the field this year, but it will take a lot of hard work by the coaching staff and players. If this does not happen, then the SB and Administration need to evaluate the program after this season and make changes as necessary. If they don't then it can truly be assumed that they are de-empahizing football in Oak Ridge, which I suspect they are....

People saying a lot of the Oak Ridge kids are tranfering over to clinton Coffey, Irby, Underwood, Rogers, and a couple more players these are some big time names to be moved over to clinton if this rumor is true i heard some of the kids already talk to andy shattuck earlier this year but who knows.................

People saying a lot of the Oak Ridge kids are tranfering over to clinton Coffey, Irby, Underwood, Rogers, and a couple more players these are some big time names to be moved over to clinton if this rumor is true i heard some of the kids already talk to andy shattuck earlier this year but who knows.................

I don't know anything about the rumors but I'm pretty sure that if you transfer, you have to sit out a year.

What we need are the parents to get there children out there on the field and off the streets. There are students that just rather stay on the street and listen to the people on the street then positive people. That is not a coaches or administrations fault. I do agree that our coach at the high school need to be on the street and directing them to a positive environment which is some sort of positive extracurricular activity at ORHS. Gaddis did this very well!

I remember all the hype on here when Lussier left and Stevens arrived about how Stevens was now going to go out and get all of the street kids that Lussier had ignored during his head coaching days. All the chatter envisioned huge numbers being out for football once Stevens arrived and combed the halls and streets for all the overlooked and unwanted players of the previous staff. Isn??™t it ironic that the numbers of players out for football has fallen off dramatically (just like the quality of the performance) and now we are talking about what a great job Gattis did in getting players out? It takes effort, year round effort, to produce a winning program. Until we have that again we will just be another also ran football program.

Ole Dad

What we need are the parents to get there children out there on the field and off the streets. There are students that just rather stay on the street and listen to the people on the street then positive people. That is not a coaches or administrations fault. I do agree that our coach at the high school need to be on the street and directing them to a positive environment which is some sort of positive extracurricular activity at ORHS. Gaddis did this very well!

Hey Dad where ya been? I've had to defend Oak Ridge football all by myself, yeah right!! Is there going to be a team this year? I haven't heard anything about it if there is. Oh well back into retirement.

I hope OR football makes a comeback I miss the old OR and the rivalry with Riverdale! Good luck to all you great OR fans I really hope things get turned back around! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />