State of Oak Ridge Football

bbulldog

race. Race is a true issue. As far as race I said as a black male in a leadership position I would not want to be a coach. My opinion.... black coaches are held at a higher standard. I'm not the only one to think this. Read Tony Dungy's book. ask Willie randolph. Ask John Thompson ask Richard Nolan, ask Dusty Baker, ask Ty Willingham, ask Art Shell, ask Sylvester Croom, ask Herman Edwards, ask coach Chaney, and the list goes on and on. Matter of fact I went to listen to the coach of the team in virginia ("remember the titans") he said he went through the exact same thing. go online and read it. Good thing they didn't have internet. But my statement was an opinion of mine. I will be the first to admit that Stevens seem to get complacent after getting to the championship. I admitted that lost ole dad was right in that the buck stop with the head coach. I will admit that the Clinton incident could and should have been handled differently. Black, white, hispanic, jewish, oriental or middle easterner doesn't matter. Wrong is wrong. But to say he isn't qualified and hasn't done a good job (maybe not great but how many high school coaches are) is wrong. Go and check winning percentages of the former Oak Ridge coaches. (including Hale) then check stevens. What other coach besides stevens has been to state more than once. The funny thing about this is the same things were said about every coach I mentioned before. Oak ridgers are known for research. Research this. I grew up hating Oak Ridge. They were smart, rich and good in everything. So I thought. Then I found out that there is a segment in the population that are past through the school system barely reading and writing but past through. This was before no child left behind. I thought oak Ridge was a liberal city (NOT POLITICALLY) and everybody got along.I never could figure out why Shawn Summers never came back. And when you talk to him he says they will turn your back on you. You ever wonder why Mike Caldwell is not involved with Oak Ridge. Where is Jamie Redmond and why didn't he apply for the head coaching job? Why didn't Graham come back or attempt to come back with Stanton.T hese guys are about my age and I played against them growing up. The truth is part of the reason Stanton is getting this is because he wasn't a lot of your first, second and/or third pick. And powers that be wasn't you this time. They picked what they thought was the best man for the job. After the third time around. How can a guy with his credentials not be the first pick. He coached in big games, he has won the state. Everybody talk about Coach Ranking at Alcoa but Fulton beat them. Stanton Steven only lost 3 X in 8 games to them. Anderson County beat Oak Ridge a couple of years ago. And that team was in Stevens region. Race is an issue whether we want to talk about it or not. I also don't like blacks, which I am, using the excuse of being black for why their not progressing in life. That is why it is a good thing about being a christian first then a man, then a father, then a husband, then a friend, then black. When I heard that Stevens went to a parent house to talk to the parent about keeping his kid on the team because he didn't want his son to play for him when he first got there, I thought that was stevens first mistake. Because when you let parents dictate your decisions you already gone wrong. Not a coach but I am a supervisor and know a little about leadership. I 'm tired once again I wrote a novel. I wish oak Ridge a good season. i think if they can get by DB and Ooltewah they may go undefeated. Playoffs anyone can win. Watch out for Clinton they could give the cats problems. If cats have good chemistry they could be good. They have both QB's returning which is a good thing. i hear their offense line could be good. Only problem I have with stevens is get an offense and stick with it. Don't change with the talent adjust with the talent. But get your identity on offense and keep it. (Heard that from coach Sparks at Carson Newman) It sometimes takes a couple of years as a coach to find out all the kinks but you will never find it out if you keep changing. One change I hope you get rid of entirely is the cards. Didn't see them in the games I went to this past year. Put them in the shed and don't bring them back out. I hope you see my comments as positive although argumentative thoughts. Also I want to apologize to coach gray. I made comments about hi mthat is undeserving. He is at Catholic I read and has nothing to do with Oak Ridge topics. I hear he is a great X an O coach (heard this from ....drum roll.... Coach Stevens). Good luck to the mighty Wildcats, Stevens and the city of Oak Ridge. Get the pride back. Talk about the football coach during basketball season but support him during football. good Luck...

Mr Boorelly,

You just happen to be speaking to someone with zero white guilt. I make no apologies for being white. I am proud of it.

I am only concerned with Integrity & performance at my school, In my opinion your guy Stevens has not done a good job of doing either.

Are you even aware of the off the field incidents? As a Christian first, a man second, a Father third a Black guy fourth a Supervisor fifth, a coach potato sixth, etc etc, I would think you & Tye Willingham would be outraged.

Would you like to make me a candidate for Carpal tunnel by listing the off the field incidents? Tony Dungy was fired at Tampa Bay & he should have been due to his performance by the way. He turned it around at Indy I do not see how this relates to your guy Stevens.

Ole Dad has already listed the stats, Any questions?

I hope that when you post in the future you do not start the post with... "as a black man" I will refrain from starting with... "as a white man " going forward as well. As for the coaches you mentioned,

I am familiar with Tony Dungy, Sir Stanton Stevens is no Tony Dungy, He is no Art Shell. Tthose are the only two that I respect so you will not get a novel from me.

Have you have heard this phrase?" I will help those who help themselves..." it means stink it up be a man stop making excuses & focus on the task at hand.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a short, old, fat guy the view is the same from here. When OR tries to suit up and all the uniforms are missing and they have no equipment somebody will have to answer the bell. Eventually it will land with Chucky and Mullins and they will end up taking the fall while Bailey and Green look on in amazement and say "how could this happen"?

Ole Dad

WOW! As a Tall Guy, I would like to say the view is good up here! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> If you give people enough rope they will use it accordingly. ( boorelly, don't take that the wrong way.)

As a short, old, fat guy the view is the same from here. When OR tries to suit up and all the uniforms are missing and they have no equipment somebody will have to answer the bell. Eventually it will land with Chucky and Mullins and they will end up taking the fall while Bailey and Green look on in amazement and say "how could this happen"?

Ole Dad

Wow!!! Are things really that bad????

One thing about it the games will be played. And I still only see 2 teams beating OR if that.returning QB(s) (both with experience). Line could be pretty good.They have some skill guys. I hope their coaching staff focuses on their season and not couch potatoes like US!!! Good luck Wildcats, Tornadoes, Roadrunners, Falcons, Rebels, and Cobras. Instead of coach bashing...most of it is personal and has nothing to do with coaching, how good will the wildcats be on defense. Last year their defense wasn't very good. Who will tote the mail next year. I think Stevens got Stephens happy last year like he did with Albert harris at AE. I know at AE he had several backs that could tote the mail but Harris gave him the big hitter. Stevens seems to get blinded by the big hitter. Stephens was a great RB (would call more of an athlete than an RB...Gulmire was a RB) he would make the big play but also cost you sometimes trying to get the extra or big play. Their WR are athletic. Very impressive and I think they all were coming back. Watched them play AE freshmen and JV and Alcoa freshmen in a jamboree I seen some potential. But I also hear they have some kids that may be ineligible. Please instead of coach bashing lets talk football.

Which two games do you see Oak Ridge losing next year?

Kingsport and Ooletewah. I think these are game OR can win but will be tough. If they beat Kingsport I think they can run the tables in the regular season. But I do think they need a loss before the playoffs. With all the negative OR can't lose early to Fulton or DB. It will kill the morale for team and the city. The negativity will be crazy. My scenario for good post season is beat DB and maybe lose to 1 of region foes (either WB or OHS). Stevens history shows he sometimes needs to get refocus and a loss is a great way for this to happen. Finish 2nd in region. Get to host a playoff game and team is refocused in the playoffs. Can't lose to Farragut because don't want to have a loss before playoffs. Plus their farragut. Oak Ridge wannabees.

Kingsport and Ooletewah. I think these are game OR can win but will be tough. If they beat Kingsport I think they can run the tables in the regular season. But I do think they need a loss before the playoffs. With all the negative OR can't lose early to Fulton or DB. It will kill the morale for team and the city. The negativity will be crazy. My scenario for good post season is beat DB and maybe lose to 1 of region foes (either WB or OHS). Stevens history shows he sometimes needs to get refocus and a loss is a great way for this to happen. Finish 2nd in region. Get to host a playoff game and team is refocused in the playoffs. Can't lose to Farragut because don't want to have a loss before playoffs. Plus their farragut. Oak Ridge wannabees.

I do have one question about Shawn Summers, Mike Caldwell & Jamie Redman,& even you Mr Graham...

Why aren't you all back at OR?

How much $ have they given to the program Mr. Graham?

Stevens is the coach should that not be enough to bring them all back?

So why aren't the sucessful players backing Stevens?

Was he the one who turned his back on them?

Why don't they give $ back?

Caldwell is a former pro athlete & has not given a penny, they take but they do not give.

How about kids out there?

Just questions, you have made me think Mr Boorelly.

I do have one question about Shawn Summers, Mike Caldwell & Jamie Redman,& even you Mr Graham...

Why aren't you all back at OR?

How much $ have they given to the program Mr. Graham?

Stevens is the coach should that not be enough to bring them all back?

So why aren't the sucessful players backing Stevens?

Was he the one who turned his back on them?

Why don't they give $ back?

Caldwell is a former pro athlete & has not given a penny, they take but they do not give.

How about kids out there?

Just questions, you have made me think Mr Boorelly.

Great question. I wondered that myself. When the job first came open I thought Redmond would be one on the short list. I think he coaches or coordinates at either Brentwood Academy or MUS or MBA one of the big private schools. Never had head coaching experience. Alot of my coworkers thought it would be a former QB named Lorending. He coaches college ball and was a college coordinator. By the way what did Mike Caldwell take? I am the same age as everyone you named. i played against them in little league and most of them in midget ball. (We...Alice Bell beat them by the way)And I know they were all close. They played Football for Mr. Redmond, basketball for Mr Graham and baseball for mr. Lamuno. They always played together and were very close. Could be Stevens don't know. Didn't know him then. I got to know him at AE. Wouldn't think that was the reason because none of these guys came back at all. When I first moved back to this area and started working at the plant, I think Eric Thomas and Kwayu coached the midget program. I used to work with Graham's mom and I know they took their team to Florida. But the other guys seem to left and never really got involved with Oak Ridge program. Like I said Shawn Summers didn't sound to enthuised about OR football. He just said they turned their back. Don't really know what that meant. I did hear when Stevens asked Graham before if he could go back to Oak Ridge would he go with him... Graham said no. When I asked he said he wanted to be remembered as a player not a coach. Then he kind of laughed.

One thing about it the games will be played. And I still only see 2 teams beating OR if that.returning QB(s) (both with experience). Line could be pretty good.They have some skill guys. I hope their coaching staff focuses on their season and not couch potatoes like US!!! Good luck Wildcats, Tornadoes, Roadrunners, Falcons, Rebels, and Cobras. Instead of coach bashing...most of it is personal and has nothing to do with coaching, how good will the wildcats be on defense. Last year their defense wasn't very good. Who will tote the mail next year. I think Stevens got Stephens happy last year like he did with Albert harris at AE. I know at AE he had several backs that could tote the mail but Harris gave him the big hitter. Stevens seems to get blinded by the big hitter. Stephens was a great RB (would call more of an athlete than an RB...Gulmire was a RB) he would make the big play but also cost you sometimes trying to get the extra or big play. Their WR are athletic. Very impressive and I think they all were coming back. Watched them play AE freshmen and JV and Alcoa freshmen in a jamboree I seen some potential. But I also hear they have some kids that may be ineligible. Please instead of coach bashing lets talk football.

Wow! A post that is on topic.... anyway, defense could be a problem area. In the recent past, the linebacker positions were our strength. The last 2 years we have been down in that area. I don't know why, but it seems that we have not had the horses in those positions like we have had. I don't see much improvement there from last year. From the spring, it looks like Demarcus Rogers will be the starting running back; moving back to the position he had as a freshman. However, you get below him and you are looking at 1 sophomore and whoever might be moving up from freshman ball. We are that thin at running back. Quarterback could be good, but both young men really need to step it up with more consistent play. They both disappeared in big games last year. Next year they will have to shoulder more of the load and make plays. Which leads to the next position, wide receiver. With Rogers moving to RB, that leaves us with a marked man, Raphael Coffey. The other receivers have to step it up as well as the Coffey will be receiving a lot of attention from opposing defenses. And by stepping it up, (I really hate to say this) I mean catch the dang football when it is thrown your direction. I see 4 losses next year: DB, Ooltewah, Clinton and McMinn County. We can win all 4, but our level of execution must improve from last year.

BTW, Boorelly, with my wife as one of the new teachers (actually 9th grade lead teacher) at AE, I will be around for all of the Road Runner home games. Would love to meet you and get up to speed on Road Runner football.

What you're saying about Mike Caldwell kind of surprises me since every now and then Mike shows up around town and helps in community things and attends games. He lives in Georgia and I last spoke to him at the basketball Alumni game. He seemed very excited about playing when I contacted him and he did. Mike is one of the greatest guys and players that Oak Ridge has ever produced. Mike came and spoke at the football banquet a few years ago and he did this despite not enjoying to speak in public. Many former players never return to even a game but Mike seems to answer the call when invited. Maybe nobody has ever asked him for money. As for Shawn Summers, his UT career ended on a sour note but I still think of him as the best football player I ever saw play at Oak Ridge. I have on several occasions been at practice when he dropped by despite not living here anymore. This was during the Lussier/Gaddis era though when he had more ties to the coaching staff. Maybe people shouldn't read into everything so much. What does Shawn and the others want from the program now that they are in their 30's and living out of the area? They have our respect and I for one don't believe that anybody in Oak Ridge has turned their backs on them. Oak Ridge football is struggling right now and I don't have an ax to grind with anybody. I do hope that the ship is righted and we don't become just an average football program. David Clary

What you're saying about Mike Caldwell kind of surprises me since every now and then Mike shows up around town and helps in community things and attends games. He lives in Georgia and I last spoke to him at the basketball Alumni game. He seemed very excited about playing when I contacted him and he did. Mike is one of the greatest guys and players that Oak Ridge has ever produced. Mike came and spoke at the football banquet a few years ago and he did this despite not enjoying to speak in public. Many former players never return to even a game but Mike seems to answer the call when invited. Maybe nobody has ever asked him for money. As for Shawn Summers, his UT career ended on a sour note but I still think of him as the best football player I ever saw play at Oak Ridge. I have on several occasions been at practice when he dropped by despite not living here anymore. This was during the Lussier/Gaddis era though when he had more ties to the coaching staff. Maybe people shouldn't read into everything so much. What does Shawn and the others want from the program now that they are in their 30's and living out of the area? They have our respect and I for one don't believe that anybody in Oak Ridge has turned their backs on them. Oak Ridge football is struggling right now and I don't have an ax to grind with anybody. I do hope that the ship is righted and we don't become just an average football program. David Clary

Hello,

I was surprised as well by the "They turned their back on me statement" what was Shawn Summers expecting? As for Mike Caldwell, I was unaware of him playing an active roll in OR football, Boorelly claims he is in the know & that these players will have nothing to to do with OR football. I felt these questions should be asked.

To ans Booelly's question about what did Caldwell take?

Ask any NFL player who came from a successful HS program what he took, coaching, direction maybe some discipline.

I have seen many interviews where NFL players & successful men in general can't stop talking about their HS football programs & what they did for them. Much in the same way I can't stop talking about OR football & what it means to me. I just expect more from my program. But not in the same way Boorelly Claims Shawn Summers expects more (Shawn if you are out there please come & speak for yourself)

I did see Mike Caldwell & Shawn Summers play, The best player I ever saw at OR

was the Gulmeyer kid who wore number 1. My # 2 pick would be Shawn Williams. I am not just picking Williams because I heard that he went to Georgia Southern for a minute, That's my team.