Best Way(s) to Strengthen Pitcher's Arms

6-4-3dplay

Besides long toss and weight lifting, what are some other great ways to strengthen young pitchers arms to increase velocity?

With weightlifting, what are some specific exercises that are good?

With long toss, what's a proven method that has worked well?

Thanks for the help.....

Can't wait until E5 responds to this one. I'm sure he can enlighten us all.

I can't take full credit for our system as it is a combination of several. We start with nine 10 inch nails in the nine spots we want to throw to. We then get at 45 feet and start with the standard Daisy BB's and throw 2 and 4 seam fastballs till we can drive them flush to the wood the nails are in. We then back up to 60 feet with railroad spikes and use water-logged balls and repeat the same method. We do this six days a week starting with a minimum of 100 throws each day. To flush the body we soak in a hot tub with a mixture of Garrett's Seet Snuff, white vinegar, and the cherry blossom bubble bath from Bath and Body Works. After the heat, we fill up a 55 gallon trash can with ice and water and submerge our bodies head first using a common snorkle you can buy at most department stores. You may have to get these in the spring or summer or order them online. Googling for Wings, a store for beach ware, is the best priced snorkles. In pre season we always throw our pens from 70 to 80 feet for the obvious benefits of overload. For underload, we use the Atec balls from 12 feet at 100 percent. We have our batters take BP at twelve feet in the event we face pitchers who throw in the low 120's. We have never lost a game to one of these guys yet. The same is repeated for breaking balls and change ups with the exception of how far we start the nails into the wood. One draw back has been with the limited preseson scrimmages, our breaking balls are always high for the first month of the season. I will defend this method, because it not how you start the season...it's how we finish. Playing the number one seed in the first round of the district tournament has helped us get a head start for summer baseball. Hope this helps.

I have a question on pop times. I am now the first base coach because Bob got a promotion and I am moving from Dugout Dad to first base coach. I have a stop watch but I don't what to do. I have been unable to hear the popcorn poppers start or stop from the coaching box from any of the fields we have played on so far. I have tried to get them before the game, but one of my responsibilties is to make sure the snacks arrive and are properly cooled or kept in the coolest spot if they have any dairy products or chocolate in them. The head coach wanted me to get the pitchers time to the plate. Is this on passed balls when he runs home or from the dugout when he hits. Every time he asks for a time, I just make it up. He said we are not getting good jumps based on my times. Please give me some help. Another issue is what to do with my sunglasses. I have moved up to lead weedeater at work and have the sunglasses with the eye protectors on the sides. Do I put them on my hat? upside down? on the back of my hat? take off the lanyard? Also, do I tuck in my pullover or let it go out?

If anyone has any average times of your popcorn poppers, I would appreciate some numbers.

E5

The best way to strengthen an arm is to throw, throw, and throw some more. I'm specifically talking about playing catch here not pitching in games. Weighted baseballs can help but you have to be careful with them because if your arm action (i.e. how you use your arms) is poor you can hurt yourself. I suppose that can also be said about pitching. Another thing you can do is throw to a glove or into a net with radar and video feedback. To throw hard you have to try to throw hard and pushing your body to the limits can increase your ability to do so.

Here's a clip of a guy who has had a very successful career and could really bring it...

The clip is in slow motion but you should still be able to get a feel for the kind of "intent" he had to throw the crap out of the baseball.

I hope this helps! Good luck! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Besides long toss and weight lifting, what are some other great ways to strengthen young pitchers arms to increase velocity?

With weightlifting, what are some specific exercises that are good?

With long toss, what's a proven method that has worked well?

Thanks for the help.....

Depends on how young.

First of all I would make sure that young pitchers realize that velocity is not the most important aspect of pitching. While at a young age the most important thing is that their mechanics are solid. Taking care of their arms is a must so that they will be able to pitch when they are older.

If they are old enough to lift weights I would suggest that most of the work be done to their mid-section and legs and not their arms. Weights for the stomach and legs would be very beneficial. If they lift with their arms it should be lighter weight and more reps while making sure to always stretch the arms after lifting, i.e: hanging on "monkey bars".

Find a good pitching coach or go to some of the really good camps which colleges hold and ask this question.

A normal response would have been sufficient.....Thank you for your JERKISH answer!!!

Hey 6-4-3, you obviously don't understand or appreciate the beauty of E5's response. Those of us who regularly monitor the baseball threads always look forward to input from E5. The responses are not only entertaining, but very informative. Why, I was so excited when I first saw your post that I instantly began to salivate in anticipation of a possible reply by E5. If you had responded to him with a modicum of appreciation, all of us could have had much more to look forward to. However, E5 will probably feel under appreciated now and refuse to give us any more of his valuable insight! E5, if you aren't already giving up on this thread, please share more of your wisdom and techniques that you have developed and acquired over your years of experience. We know that developing young pitchers is one of your speciality areas in addition to how position your rover.

Hey 6-4-3, you obviously don't understand or appreciate the beauty of E5's response. Those of us who regularly monitor the baseball threads always look forward to input from E5. The responses are not only entertaining, but very informative. Why, I was so excited when I first saw your post that I instantly began to salivate in anticipation of a possible reply by E5. If you had responded to him with a modicum of appreciation, all of us could have had much more to look forward to. However, E5 will probably feel under appreciated now and refuse to give us any more of his valuable insight! E5, if you aren't already giving up on this thread, please share more of your wisdom and techniques that you have developed and acquired over your years of experience. We know that developing young pitchers is one of your speciality areas in addition to how position your rover.

I agree with HRK. E5 is way beyond his years in experience, if you know what I mean. Also, 6-4-3, if you ever come across a rising left handed catcher, please remember E5. He is the world leader in baseball strategy utilizing the special talents of a left handed catcher in the game of baseball. You would be miles ahead of your competition just by going into E5's archives and reading his many posts on strategy and the game of baseball in general. He has many areas of expertise.

Long toss is about as good a thing to strengthen an arm as anything, and intern have more velocity. Through a friend I know the agent of the Tiger's flame-thrower Joel Zumya (however you spell it), but since Joel was 16 he said he has done band work and lots of long toss. He said Zumya can throw a ball around 500 feet, easily out of any major league field. Also technique is major component to throwing hard. A lot of a pitchers velocity can be reached just by mechanics alone. Hey, if thats what a pitcher throwing 105 does...it sure couldn't hurt!

Long toss is about as good a thing to strengthen an arm as anything, and intern have more velocity. Through a friend I know the agent of the Tiger's flame-thrower Joel Zumya (however you spell it), but since Joel was 16 he said he has done band work and lots of long toss. He said Zumya can throw a ball around 500 feet, easily out of any major league field. Also technique is major component to throwing hard. A lot of a pitchers velocity can be reached just by mechanics alone. Hey, if thats what a pitcher throwing 105 does...it sure couldn't hurt!

definitely couldn't hurt.