Tennessee All Americans

cbg

What wrestlers that attended high school in Tennessee have earned All American honors at the NCAA D1, D2 or D3 level?

Bill Harlow (National Champion @ Oklahoma State)

Jordan Leen (National Champion @ Cornell)

Philip Simpson (National Runner-up @ United States Military Academy)

Cody Cleveland (8th @ UTC)

Raymond Dunning (3rd @ Adams State)

TELL US ABOUT BILL HARLOW. I AM NOT FIMILAR WITH HIM.

THE ANIMAL

...but you're right on Phillip. His Runnerup was at 149 and not at 157. I should have remembered, I was sitting in the Army section in 2005.

That's funny. Could you hear us cheering for Simpson throughout the tournament from our seats in the UTC section in 2005? If we'd known you were there, we'd have followed your lead for food & drink suggestions that weekend!

/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I believe Darren McKnight was an NCAA D1 academic all american for Michigan State in 2005.

I believe you are correct.

McKnight also qualified for the NCAA's 3 times (which is hard to do in the Big 10). He was;

1-2 at 149 in 2004 - Lost to AA Jeff Eckloff from OK

1-2 at 149 in 2005 - Lost to AA Eric Tannenbaum from MI

1-2 at 149 in 2006 - Lost to AA Zach Esposito from OK St

Darren was the Team Captain at MSU in 2006. I'm guessing wherever he is now, he's doing very well.

TELL US ABOUT BILL HARLOW. I AM NOT FIMILAR WITH HIM.

THE ANIMAL

Harlow was a 5 time (1958-1962) Mid-South champion at St. Andrews Military School in Sewanee, coached by Tennessee Wrestling Hall of Famer (Class of 2006) Kenneth " Speedy" Speegle, back in the days when Baylor, McCallie, SMA, TMI, CMA, Castle Heights, Darlington and other prep schools competed in the Mid-South Conference of Prep Schools. Harlow won his first as an 8th grader. He was TSSAA state champion and voted the tournament's best wrestler in 1962 at 167. After his high school career he wrestled for Oklahoma State University where he was a three time NCAA All-American, finishing as runner-up in 1965 at 177, and winning an NCAA Championship in 1966 at 191. OSU won the NCAA team championship in two of his varsity seasons, 1964 and 1966. He also won Big 8 titles his junior and senior year. Wrestling at heavyweight as 177-pounder against Oklahoma, Harlow gave up 80 pounds but beat OU??™s Luke Sharpe 4-1 to give the Cowboys a 15-14 dual victory. Following his college career, Harlow won a World Freestyle Silver Medal ( at 90 kg. in 1970 ) and three national AAU titles. He coached for 22 years in Detroit, Chicago, Alaska, Broken Arrow & Sapulpa, Okla. Coached 7 State Champions & over 30 state placers in his coaching career. Overall coaching record includes over 200 wins. He is a member of the NCAA Wrestling Coaches Association Division I Wrestling Hall of Fame. In 2005 Harlow received the Lifetime Service to Wrestling Award from the Oklahoma Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. On a cumulative career level, arguably the best wrestler to come out of Tennessee.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...