Oak Ridge streak in trouble

yellowdog

Only reason I read these Oak Ridge post is because our coach and coaches are from there. I sometimes call my boys Tillman and Graham and tell them about this stuff on CoachT site. Usually they listen and don't say much. Coach Graham looked at it with me one day and laughed at some of the things said about Austin East on this site. I am now on the phone reading the post from this site to fomer Oak Ridge standout Kwayu Graham. I told him what is on the post. He first would like to say whoever compares Oak Ridge to Campbell County or Karns needs to be banned from the line. He says, the chance of them having something knowledgeable to say about football is little to none. He wants Oak Ridge fans to remember 1986 season. They had a lot of talent but went 4-6, no play-offs. ["Coach Graham speaking"] Sometimes dynasties fall but they always rebuild. If you think Oak Ridge is going to lay down and quit your wrong. Karns Campbell County come on man get real. Sometimes you have to go beyond the surface to find the story. Coach Graham's best friend Stan Cooper (Coop a loop) works at Oak Ridge boys club. Usually Oak Ridge little league teams win their league in all age divisions. East usually plays west in the championship. That's east oak Ridge vs West Oak Ridge in what I think he said is the Clinch River Football Conference. The middle schools also enjoy great seasons. So the future is in tact and the atheletes are there. He said that anyone that has something to say about Lussier doesn't know him. This man is a smart man. He is a great coach. Graham remembers when people second guess Gaddis. That just part of coaching for a traditional powerhouse. With success comes expectations. Trust one of your greats. He says Oak Ridge future is fine. Coach Lussier is fine. Fans, sometimes support (or lack of) plays apart of your program. He said the difference of playing at Oak Ridge and playing in college at ETSU was no matter who they played at Oak Ridge they knew they were going to win. One reason why is all their life growing up playing football in Oak Ridge you win because you are just better! Everyone told them that. He said when he was a 10th grader he would walk downtown and people he didn't know knew him as #8 for Oak Ridge. it was pride. On Friday nights he couldn't let them down. Kwayu started reflecting on the Gallatin game of 1987 when the Oak Ridger told them they had no chance to win. He told jamie Redmond " Red let's put on a show for "our fans" win, lose or draw! They lost but the support was there and it was a nail bitter. He wants the fans to know that kids pick up on vibes. The fans are just as responsible for loses as the players and coaches are when you have a true "program". Maybe coach Lussieer needs to become more accessible to his fans. But definetly the fans need to be encouraging to the players. Go get them Wildcats we will see you in the boro! tell your team as they say at Austin East 1-2-3 Dominate; 3-2-1 Take it to the State! And like AE coaches tell their parents at the meeting Book it in the Boro! (Reservations that is! Believe and you will achieve. My take on this is first of all someone upset Graham off about Oak Riodge - Karns - Campbell County. Second oak ridge must be a great program for this must space on the web and only having 1 bad season in the past 10 years. Good luck Wildcats. AE back to the State sounds good to me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you boorelly for that post and good luck to the Roadrunners, too.

Here is little trivia for you about one of AE's coaches: Kwayu Graham is # 9 on the list of Oak Ridge receivers for career receiving yards (632 yards) and # 6 for career receptions (43). Coach Graham is # 4 on the list for longest punt return with his 85 yard return against Jefferson County (by the way, it was a Jefferson County fan who predicted on this board that Oak Ridge would be like Karns and Campbell County by 2004 --- see a copy of that message at the end of this post). Coach Graham is # 2 on the Wildcats' kickoff return list for his 98 yard return against Gallatin.

Here is a little story you might like:

Early in Coach Stevens' first season at Austin-East, Oak Ridge had a school call on Monday afternoon and cancel out of a JV game set for that night, so Oak Ridge called Coach Stevens at the last minute and inquired if he would come over and play a JV game. Coach Stevens agreed and brought his team over.

During warm-ups, Coach Steven's walked among his players as they were stretching and a person on Oak Ridge's side yelled down to him, "Coach, you're on the wrong side." Coach Stevens looked up, smiled, and replied, "No, I'm on the right side. This (pointing to his players) is home now."

At the time, I thought what a wonderful declaration because the Roadrunner players had to feel good to know their coach thought of Austin-East and not Oak Ridge as home. Little gestures like that sometimes lead to big things ... like a State Championship :)

Here is the message predicting gloom and doom for Oak Ridge from the tread titled, "Most Improved Teams for 2002" I agree with Coach Graham's opinion on this message.

<< 7-5-02 9:42P | 0 Good Marks | | oak ridge drying up

fbwiz

football

Bad Post? this will be one team that continues to surprize people with their deteriorating football program.it will become one like cambell co's or karns by 2004. >>

Guest fbwiz

williethewildcat,since you have made it a point,in an abstract way,to envolve jeff.co.with my posts about trouble in wildcat land,i will play a little history for you.the yr.was 1987.oak ridge met the pats.in round 2.after oak ridge's first round win, the wildcats started boasting about how they would spoil jeff.co.'s dream season.all i need to mention is the final score:jeff.co.51 oak ridge with the big goose egg.

Really, 0 - 51? All these years, I've been telling people Jefferson County beat Oak Ridge 0 - 52. I feel a whole lot better now :)

Oak Ridge vs Jefferson County series history (Series is tied 7 - 7).

1982 2nd Round Playoffs 0 - 7 JC

1984 2nd Round Playoffs 14 - 21 JC

1985 Reg. Season 7 - 8 JC

1986 Reg. Season 7 - 29 JC

1987 2nd Round Playoffs 0 - 51 JC

1993 Reg. Season 23 - 14 OR

1993 1st Round Playoffs 32 - 7 OR

1994 Reg. Season 27 - 10 OR

1996 State Semifinals 7 - 26 JC

1997 Reg. Season 10 - 20 JC

1997 1st Round Playoffs 31- 14 OR

1998 Reg. Season 34 - 0 OR

1998 1st Round Playoffs 28 - 12 OR

1999 1st Round Playoffs 42 - 7 OR

Guest fbwiz

williethewildcat,i'm impressed with your history of this series.where do you think oak ridge will finish in the region.myself,if the players come together,they could gain the fourth spot.this will be no disgrace.s.d.,ootewah,and mccinn co will be very tough and will battle for the top 3 spots.on the other hand,the govs.& wildcats will fight hard for the other slot.

boorelly, nice post. Coach Stevens, Graham, Tillman and Resnick are doing such a fantastic job. I do realize the comments Coach Graham made about the OR coach is sincere but when Coach Graham was the standout at OR the OR coach was a defensive coordinator not a head coach. He won't be fine. He ain't got it 'cause he just don't get it!

GO CAT"S

GO AE

[Edited by catwatch on 7/15/02 5:57P]

I told coach graham what Ohreally post. He said he knew he had another job but still does work at the boy's club. Coach G wouldn't tell me more about the situation. Stan wanted to spend more time with his kids and the other job gives him that. I remeber Stan somewhat. Didn't he play RB? He looks like Emmitt Smith. In little league he was real quiet and shy. But was very quick and fast. Both him and Coah G had very little words to say but somehow they could communicate with each other. It was funny cause niether one them would talk much. It was like they knew what each other was thinking. My mom was raised in oak Ridge and I would play with them (Gate aka John spratling too)when we were little. Each year they would come to AE to play us in our jamboree. That team would always beat us but it would be good games. Matter of fact they would beat us in football and basketball. Their B-ball team was one of the best in the country. Their name was Zap. They had fancy uniforms and warmups suits and everything. The little girls would come to the game just to see Zap. We were about 10-12. Coach Graham dad was their coach. I always wanted to play for Zap. That must be why I have a fascination with Oak Ridge sports. My family moved to Dallas and then Florida so I never got a chance to travel with them (Zap). When we moved back to east tennesse i wanted to move to Oak Ridge. But back to East knoxville I went.

boorelly,

Stan Cooper pretty much ran things for Lawrence Hahn at the Boys Club of Oak Ridge. If he does still work at the Boys Club it is on a very limited basis or only when they need his expertise. Stan should have much more time for his family now that he has a new job away from the Boys Club.

AND... Yes, Stan does look a lot like Emmitt Smith!

AND... Yes, Stan was a running back for the Oak Ridge football team. I believe Stan scored the winning TD in the OT game against Farragut back in 1988.

Oak Ridge will always have a good program. They will win another state title one day!There are too many great athletes in Oak Ridge.

I remember when Cleveland was killing Maryville in the mid 90s. I was saying Maryville will never win another title.

It is amazing what a great coach(quarles) and a new training facility will do for a program. The late 80s and early 90s Maryville teams had good skill position players but were not that good on the line. When Maryville played teams like Sevier County,Halls,Powell,Cleveland and Clinton in 92 they were killed on the line because those teams were much stronger.Now! Maryville is winning because they are strong as heck on the line and still have their good skill position players.