Trick Plays.

Took

8.05(a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery; If a lefthanded or righthanded pitcher swings his free foot past the back edge of the pitcher's rubber, he is required to pitch to the batter except to throw to second base on a pick off play.

This rule infers that once a pitcher starts his/her delivery it must be completed in ANY SITUATION... An umpire makes JUDGEMENT calls, in my opinion on the rule above what was stated earlier is a balk straight from the rule book. As an umpire I'm no holds barred go by the rules like it or not!

I am not disagreeing with you that this is a balk...what i am saying is that the batter can not enduce a balk and by stepping out of the the box and calling time while not being granted and it causes the pitcher to stop is not a balk because it was enduced by the batter...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not disagreeing with you that this is a balk...what i am saying is that the batter can not enduce a balk and by stepping out of the the box and calling time while not being granted and it causes the pitcher to stop is not a balk because it was enduced by the batter...

A balk is a judgement call! Judgement calls are different in every umpire! As a pitcher you are suppose to stay FOCUSED enough to complete the pitch!!! So I would call it a balk! & the pitcher would get awarded to complete that pitch!

Just out of curiosity has any one out there seen a triple play where the defensive team never touched the ball after it left the pitchers hand? I have last year in a 13-14 year old game.

Runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter pops up toward shortstop, infield fly , out 1. Runner on 1st runs past runner on 2nd, out 2. Ball hits runner on 2nd while off the base, out 3. No defensive man touches the ball.

Runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter pops up toward shortstop, infield fly , out 1. Runner on 1st runs past runner on 2nd, out 2. Ball hits runner on 2nd while off the base, out 3. No defensive man touches the ball.

yep i saw this happen last year. i know its not a trick play more freakish than anything else, but i thought it was worth mentioning.

You are completely correct! That is a balk... It is the pitchers job to stay focused enough to complete the pitch! And I agree if that ball were to go over the backstop I would have called it a strike NO MATTER WHAT!!! There is no way a batter would just decide on his/her own to do this sort of play! That sort of play is a coaches play! So it would be a strike unless balk were to occur! Probably would have to coach all over me but he/she could take an early shower!

Actually beavo, take a look at NFHS Rules Book. I'm quoting from rule 6-2 art 4 (d) 1

If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (B) with both feet or ?© holds up his hand to request "time" it shall not be a balk. In (a) and ?© there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call time and begin the play anew. In (B) a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of 7-3-1. In (a), (B) and ?© if the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains alive. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter in (B). If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create a balk he will penalize according to 3-3-1 (o)

Actually beavo, take a look at NFHS Rules Book. I'm quoting from rule 6-2 art 4 (d) 1

If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> with both feet or ?© holds up his hand to request "time" it shall not be a balk. In (a) and ?© there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call time and begin the play anew. In (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of 7-3-1. In (a), (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> and ?© if the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains alive. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter in (/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />. If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create a balk he will penalize according to 3-3-1 (o)

attaboy, rulesman09, I was wondering when someone would set the record straight. Strike called regardless if pitch is made or not and two strikes if a pitch is made regardless of location. Perfect example why a pitcher should always complete his motion, not to mention, it could avoid an unnecessary injury. Good job!

Sorry I haven't read the interpretations of the NFHS Rule Book... I've seen some umpires (in Babe Ruth ball) call that a balk so I was mistaken and in the Babe Ruth Rule Book it doesn't specifically state it that way... I was wrong... Riverdale sorry about arguing with you there!

no problem...that is what is great about this site is so that each of us can learn something

Yeah very true I love it when someone points something out to me if I'm wrong cause I don't like stating things that aren't correct & when I'm wrong I am "BIG" enough to admit it! Thanks rulesman09 for correcting me!