Trick Plays.

Took

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runners on first and third. The runner on first turns and starts walking toward right field. The umpire should call the guy out. I saw the same team do it twice and it worked both times. The guy with the ball had no clue what to do so he turned and chased the runner and the runner at third scored.

Wait a minute...why should he call him out?

i would not call a balk in that case because it was induced by the batter i will not give that batter time in that case but a balk SHOULD NOT be called in this play

It is a balk and the umpire should call it. However, if the pitcher is sound enough to finish the pitch, I would call it a strike even if the ball rolled over the plate. I even tried to do this once to a team that had been very poor sports all through the game. The only problem was the umpire actually jumped out from behind the catcher and called time!

It is a balk and the umpire should call it. However, if the pitcher is sound enough to finish the pitch, I would call it a strike even if the ball rolled over the plate. I even tried to do this once to a team that had been very poor sports all through the game. The only problem was the umpire actually jumped out from behind the catcher and called time!

You are completely correct! That is a balk... It is the pitchers job to stay focused enough to complete the pitch! And I agree if that ball were to go over the backstop I would have called it a strike NO MATTER WHAT!!! There is no way a batter would just decide on his/her own to do this sort of play! That sort of play is a coaches play! So it would be a strike unless balk were to occur! Probably would have to coach all over me but he/she could take an early shower! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I watched one where a guy was stealing second, but instead of the catcher throwing to second he throws it straight up in the air toward second base. The second baseman starts calling the ball like it was a pop up and caught it. The runner headed back toward first thinking it was a fly ball and was tagged out.

I was at the Kingston game where the McMinn guy asked him to step off the bag so he could wipe it off. It was pretty neat.

I saw a game at Rockwood where the pitcher turned to pickoff a runner at second, but instead he threw a line drive to center field. The runner takes off toward third, but the centerfielder was actually charging on the throw and it was designed for him to throw the runner out at third, which he did.

You are completely correct! That is a balk... It is the pitchers job to stay focused enough to complete the pitch! And I agree if that ball were to go over the backstop I would have called it a strike NO MATTER WHAT!!! There is no way a batter would just decide on his/her own to do this sort of play! That sort of play is a coaches play! So it would be a strike unless balk were to occur! Probably would have to coach all over me but he/she could take an early shower! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

That is not a balk. The batter stepped back from the plate, the batter can not cause the pitcher to balk

in this situation.

That is not a balk. The batter stepped back from the plate, the batter can not cause the pitcher to balk

in this situation.

Not sure of the ruling at high school level, but in Babe Ruth this is clearly laid out as NOT a balk. The rule states that both the batter and pitcher have violated a rule. It is a dead ball and the umpire shall notify both players of the rule infraction.

I agree if he pitches it call it a strike but the batter cannot entice the balk like that...while the stopping of his pitch by rule is a balk it is not a balk if the batter steps out and calls time which causes the pitcher to stop...

8.05(a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery; If a lefthanded or righthanded pitcher swings his free foot past the back edge of the pitcher's rubber, he is required to pitch to the batter except to throw to second base on a pick off play.

This rule infers that once a pitcher starts his/her delivery it must be completed in ANY SITUATION... An umpire makes JUDGEMENT calls, in my opinion on the rule above what was stated earlier is a balk straight from the rule book. As an umpire I'm no holds barred go by the rules like it or not!