Trick Plays.

Took

winning run on third, third base coach motions the pitcher to let him see the ball, pitcher tosses the ball, coach simply lets it go by, ball game.

IMO if there is "trickery" involved in a high school ballgame it needs to be orchestrated or at least carried out by the players. For a coach or other adult to participate (hands on like above) should get him mauled then tarred and feathered by the adults on the opposing team - maybe in college but that is even pushing it a little.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO if there is "trickery" involved in a high school ballgame it needs to be orchestrated or at least carried out by the players. For a coach or other adult to participate (hands on like above) should get him mauled then tarred and feathered by the adults on the opposing team - maybe in college but that is even pushing it a little.

Agreed!

Sounds like some really poor coaching out there if some of this stuff I've read works. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Runner on third. after the pitcher begins his windup or motion to the plate, the batter jumps out of the box and yells time. If there's a good ump, he will not award the batter time because the pitcher is already in his wind up. The pitcher will be startled and not pitch the ball, which is a balk, and the runner scored. A team did this to us many years ago and I was not very happy. Bush league, but a trick play nonetheless.

Another is when there are only two umpires, one behind the plate and one in the field, runners on second and third the hitter puts down a bunt. The home plate ump should be watching the runner cross the plate and the field ump should be watching the play at first so the runner on second and cut third WAY short through the grass and there, you have two runs on a bunt. Once again, someone has done it to a team i've coached and I was not very happy...BUSH

Runners on first and third. The runner on first turns and starts walking toward right field. The umpire should call the guy out. I saw the same team do it twice and it worked both times. The guy with the ball had no clue what to do so he turned and chased the runner and the runner at third scored.

Runners on first and third. The runner on first turns and starts walking toward right field. The umpire should call the guy out. I saw the same team do it twice and it worked both times. The guy with the ball had no clue what to do so he turned and chased the runner and the runner at third scored.

That play is legal. The rule does not say where you can take your lead. In this play, the runner on first gets his lead in right field. He goes about 40 feet into the outfield and stops. The fielders have to decide what to do with him. If they go after him, the run from third scores. If they pitch, he steals second. You definitely have to make sure the umpire knows the rules on this play. Some umpires still believe the baseline is between bases. It is from the spot that the player is in when a play begins to be made on him in a direct line to the base he is going.

litttle league play. Runner at second and short stop runs around runner who has taken a lead. SS falls flat on his face right in front of the runner. Runner looks down at ss on the ground while 2b slides over and applies tag for pickoff. I saw it work twice for these boys. 10 or 11 year olds I think.

Best I've ever seen was in a college game at UT in the 2001 NCAA regionals.

UT was playing Wake Forest, runner slides into second, beats the throw, and is safe. He stands up and is standing on the bag. Time has never been asked for. The UT short stop is holding the ball and asks the runner if he can step off the base so he can wipe it off. The idiot does, short slaps the tag on him, inning over.

I think the ss for UT was Burke who has been playing for the Astros, but I think he was traded this year. I believe he had other (plays) like this in his career.

Runner on third. after the pitcher begins his windup or motion to the plate, the batter jumps out of the box and yells time. If there's a good ump, he will not award the batter time because the pitcher is already in his wind up. The pitcher will be startled and not pitch the ball, which is a balk, and the runner scored. A team did this to us many years ago and I was not very happy. Bush league, but a trick play nonetheless.

Another is when there are only two umpires, one behind the plate and one in the field, runners on second and third the hitter puts down a bunt. The home plate ump should be watching the runner cross the plate and the field ump should be watching the play at first so the runner on second and cut third WAY short through the grass and there, you have two runs on a bunt. Once again, someone has done it to a team i've coached and I was not very happy...BUSH

i would not call a balk in that case because it was induced by the batter i will not give that batter time in that case but a balk SHOULD NOT be called in this play

litttle league play. Runner at second and short stop runs around runner who has taken a lead. SS falls flat on his face right in front of the runner. Runner looks down at ss on the ground while 2b slides over and applies tag for pickoff. I saw it work twice for these boys. 10 or 11 year olds I think.

Can't take a lead in little league.