WEIIGHT LIFTING CONTEST

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY SCHOOLS THAT STILL HAVE WEIGHT LIFTING CONTEST FOR HIGH SCHOOL? I KNOW RIVERDALE USED TO HAVE 1 AND A GREENVILLE HIGH IN KENTUCKY. ARE THERE ANY MORE SCHOOLS IN TN, THAT HAVE A STRONG MAN CONTEST OR WEIGHT LIFTING COMPETITION?

May 3, 2008 Graves Fitness Center in Mount Juliet 758-0883

Rules @ 8:00 Lifting @ 9:00

APA TN Push/Pull Bench and D.lift

www.apa-wpa.com "Calendar"

Let's really see what the boys can do???

Contact Wade Johnson @ 754-7038

In past years McGavock had a powerlifting contest for high school students that Coca Cola sponsored and Vanderbilt had several in the Spring when E.J. "Doc" Kries was the strength coach. The best way to make this work is to have powerlifting teams like the Florida schools.

In past years McGavock had a powerlifting contest for high school students that Coca Cola sponsored and Vanderbilt had several in the Spring when E.J. "Doc" Kries was the strength coach. The best way to make this work is to have powerlifting teams like the Florida schools.

Man, those were the days. I spent many hours @ Troy's Gym trying to learn from the best. The problem

that I see is that today's coaches (in general) don't want strong athletes. They would rather have their

kids work on wobble boards and run. There are still contests available, just got to look for them.

www.powerliftingwatch.com

There is "No Limit" to what is possible with the right program!

The state of Florida actually does not have "powerlifting" teams. They run a hybrid competition that involves the bench press and the clean and jerk. In other words they combine what is considered "olympic weightlifting" (clean and jerk) with the bench press from powerlifting. They have both regional and state championships and it is extremely competitive. Schools like Spruce Creek are powerhouses. The state championship is actually this weekend at Embry-Riddle University in Daytona Beach. You will be able to see their winning lifts on the FHSAA website by the middle of next week. I would love to start lifting competitions in Tennessee at least at the club level, but I don't know how much interest it would generate. But hey, if bowling can be a varsity sport then why not?

Wade, I too spent several years at Troy's gym in the mid to late '80's. The old one off the square was my all-time favorite place to train. Lot of stories from there. Troy was always good for a few himself.

CBG, we held the Coca-Cola Superlift at McGavock for many years starting in the early 80's. It was a combination of the bench press and power clean. However, we went from having 15-20 teams to struggling to have 4-5. We last held it in 2004 and we only had five teams. Two of those were from Mcgavock and then Glencliff, Stratford and Hillwood. Around this time Coke changed how they "sponsored" things (any Metro coach knows what I am talking about). They had provided all of the awards. There was only a team fee which was minimal and it was not designed as a fund raiser so we could not provide awards like we had always done. Plus, spring practice became much more prevalent and less teams wanted to compete for whatever reason. I would love to put it back together again if we could get enough interest.

I saw some great lifts over the years. A 500lb. bench press @260 and a 300lb. power clean @ 181lb. come to mind.

We also had a lot of volunteers like HSDAD that helped make it work.

"I would love to start lifting competitions in Tennessee at least at the club level, but I don't know how much interest it would generate."

I think that the kids would come if it was cheaper. Most associations charge for the membership and

must charge for the meets as well. Most kids don't want to spend their money on meets. A meet gives

kids an opportunity to gauge their strength increases over time. It's not all about winning.

The meets must make money ! No one is going to run meets without receiving something in return.

Sponsors can be found for prizes, but venues, equipment, and meet staff are usually an added expense.

If you could get it set up where it would not conflict with school ball and not rattle Mr. Carter's rules,

I think it would work. Powerlifting is BIG in Texas highschools. I know a few associations

that would love to oversee/sanction the events in TN. If you don't want to do Powerlifting, I am sure that

the I could get NAS "North American Strongman" association to sanction and run the meets.

If you can get the coaches in agreement, I could get it sanctioned and the meets planned. In order for

it to work there must be alot of kids involved. The more kids involved, the less it will cost per kid.